New and starting to panic

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
akrvbob said:
If you'll be in the city, get a gym membership for showers.

Check in your area for community or college recreation centers. Showers usually free or in some places they charge a fee.

Good luck...

One thing that may help your mental attitude is knowing that you came here as part of your Odyssey.   There are caring people with practical advice and similar experience.   Only thing better is to not have the issue at all.   

Wish the best and send positive thoughts your way. 

Pat

A tough situation you find yourself in. My heart goes out to you.
If its any consolation, moving in on anyone generally comes with STRINGS. either contributing towards rent, doing chores or following their rules. So long as it does not intrude on your morality or dignity, it may be worth your while to stick it out for a bit until you can gather the resources to make a go of it in your vehicle. You need a decent sleeping mat and blankets, a stock of food and a way to heat or prepare it, some kind of gym membership or place to shower and a bit of a cushion for gas money.

It will be much easier to pull this off if you give yourself some time to pull some basic essentials together, I have been really lucky at thrift stores for a lot of stuff.

Sending positive thoughts your way.

Lots of great advice here!  You can do this.  And a low income isn't too bad when you have no rent to pay.  Do you know anyone with land or a driveway that would let you park there?  Depending on what winter is like in your area, that'll be a main concern unless you live in FL or S. Cal or AZ or some place like that.  Since you have a job, you don't want to move to those areas if you aren't already there.  I'd check out Bob's youtubes because when Bob (if I remember correctly) started this lifestyle he couldn't afford to live in a place, and he was in Alaska and had to deal with insulating right away.

I'd look for an opportunity to stay on someone's property if you can if you can't find a free campsite.  The more you can save out of your paycheck, the more you can put toward kitting out your rig.

It looks like you've got a number of free spots in your general area.  They might be a bit long for a commute, but heading to the hills on your days off is another great way to get out.

https://freecampsites.net/#!(34.72503,+-83.18559)
https://freecampsites.net/#!(34.72503,+-83.18559)
There's an informal group that gathers regularly under the moniker 'GTG', or 'Good To Go' not too far northwest from you.  I'm not sure how active they are on this forum, but you could find them on the Vandwellers group on Yahoo.

Wow! I can't thank you all enough for your help! Things are beginning to level off just a little. I've gotten my bed taken care of and I found some small stacking containers for supplies, etc. Getting things organized in such a small space has been a big help. Also, due to some fire damage in the restrooms at a local state park, they have opened the shower house up for everyone to use so showers haven't been an issue yet. I still seem to be struggling to find a place to park at night. I stayed in a Flying J travel center last night with no issues. I'm pretty sure someone was sleeping in a pickup truck a few spaces down from me. I thought about staying at the state park but it's $29 a night just to tent camp.

Sailor said:
I thought about staying at the state park but it's $29 a night just to tent camp.

And I thought Colorado state parks were expensive. $29 is ridiculous.

People that have never done this are frequently very negative about it.
Pay no attention to them.
Looks like you have already found your vandweller sea legs !
Welcome aboard !

Sailor said:
I still seem to be struggling to find a place to park at night. 

I'm new to this too and interested in free camping so here are some resources recommended by others that I've looked into myself:

Many Truck stops (you found that), some good for showers
Many Walmarts - especially a Supercenter Walmart that has a huge parking lot, many allow overnight stays but some do not so look for no overnight parking signs and/or other rigs along the perimeter; this option very convenient for food, supplies and restroom
Cracker Barrel
Some Cabella's
Some Rest Areas
Some City Parks allow it
Some free camping or "dry camping/dispersed camping" in state and national parks, a longer stay usually but a longer commute and not always cell signal / -wifi-friendly
Freecampsites.net (as mentioned before), also Campendium online (free), also an app called AllStays (costs $10), also Boondockers Welcome - if there is anything on that site in your area, I might try to see if any of them would allow me to stay for a small monthly fee, but they are usually for overnight stays and usu cost around $5/night
Showers - Planet Fitness when a membership is possible, some truck stops, some campgrounds, and many on this site can tell you all about other ways to shower/stay clean if you are interested in other options - see the area in the forums.
Privacy - may want to look into Reflectix soon, maybe with a black background (think black garbage bag) on one side to look like tinted windows or dark blanket
Best wishes to you.  Stay safe.

Sailor said:
 I still seem to be struggling to find a place to park at night.

This is always the most difficult thing, logistically.

The key is to remain invisible and unnoticed. That means you will NOT be staying in the same place more than a couple nights at a time. You will need a number of different spots, as many as possible, and rotate between them so you are not in the same place very often.

Hey Sailor!

I'm also new to the forums and only somewhat new to the lifestyle. Since I living in my '04 Jeep Liberty for the past month, I can say your grand Cherokee should be easy. I just want to add my welcome and looking forward to pulling more advice from these wonderful people just like you.

Hi drysailor! Thanks to this forum and the awesome people here, I'm doing pretty well. It's been a bit of an adjustment but I'm figuring things out as I go. I'm hoping to get to a point where I can afford a larger vehicle. If that were to happen, I could see myself doing this for quite awhile. I know my friends don't understand it but there's a lot to be said for this kind of lifestyle. Thanks for checking in on me :)

I've been getting that a lot lately to from work. A few more people found out about my living arrangements and keep wondering why I haven't jumped on the offer I was giving to crash in a spare room for as long as I need. Yes I may be living out of my car but right now I'm enjoying the freedom it provides. Now that it is actually getting cool at night, I do have to add a light blanket to my bed area, but the weather doesn't bother me. I've always liked the outdoors and I just this as an extended camping vacation. Now maybe when the temps start dropping below 50 at night for more then a couple hours I'd consider the offer. That I find a small heater I can run from my "house" battery.

I used to travel in my 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee a lot, when I lived in AZ. I simply remover portions of the rear seats and folded them to make a nice bed. I had to move the front passenger seat all the way forward to clear enough room for my 6'3" frame. A 4 inch thick foam piece made a nice mattress. There was some room left in the Jeep for my belongings and camping stuff. It was fun. The biggest issue was finding showers. Truck stops had nice and relatively inexpensive showers. 
BTW, where about are you in the Upstate SC?

You might look into a down sleeping bag or comforter to sleep warm at night.

Sailor said:
Hi drysailor! Thanks to this forum and the awesome people here, I'm doing pretty well. It's been a bit of an adjustment but I'm figuring things out as I go. I'm hoping to get to a point where I can afford a larger vehicle. If that were to happen, I could see myself doing this for quite awhile. I know my friends don't understand it but there's a lot to be said for this kind of lifestyle. Thanks for checking in on me :)

Good to hear Sailor, hang in there!

An update to the update...  My Jeep Cherokee/home on wheels crapped out today in the parking lot of a state park. Had to have it towed. I'm pretty sure it's something electrical but I'm waiting to hear back from the mechanic to know for sure. If it's something major, I'm not going to be able to afford to have it fixed...definitely can't afford something else. Feeling pretty devastated right now.

I had a fuel pump that went out in mine. Of course you cant buy just a fuel pump any more, it all comes in a module. Needless to say with towing, repair bill was 1300. The repair center has a deal called ezpay where you have to pay it in 90 days and they deduct it automatically from your bank account. You might see if that is available in your area. Beats walking.

Bill