Need to pick Atwood or Suburban H20 heater

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
I've decided to go with a 6 gal RV-style heater instead of on demand, and have narrowed it down to these two...both are 6 gal, propane with DSI (direct spark ignition).

Oh, one question I can't find in specs...on these units, you ignite with the switch, but then what turns the heater off so it doesn't just sit and heat water for hours?

The two I'm looking at are an  Atwood for $345  and a  Suburban for $350 ...but the Atwood comes with a door, a $50 value.

I've never so much as touched an RV heater before, so any input welcome...and it's not like those 2 choices are anything more than the result of a few nights googling + Amazoning, so open to other choices...

Why do you need a heater in Florida?  Or do you plan to travel?

they turn off and regulate their temp just like a house water heater. their is a thermostat that turns them on and off. this waste propane if you are not using the hot water. better to override the auto and run manually. just turn it on when you need it then wait for it to heat the water. highdesertranger

Mobilesport said:
Why do you need a heater in Florida?  Or do you plan to travel?

possibly you missed the H2O part of this?    :)

highdesertranger said:
they turn off and regulate their temp just like a house water heater.  their is a thermostat that turns them on and off.  this waste propane if you are not using the hot water.  better to override the auto and run manually.  just turn it on when you need it then wait for it to heat the water.  highdesertranger

hm, that's not quite what I expected. I guess I thought that since the DSI allows remote ignition, that there would generally be a reason to ignite it...as in, it was turned off.

So basically the DSI units only differ from the older propane-only ones in that if the pilot goes out, you don't have to open the door to re-light it? What would be a simple way to override...easy access gas valve?

exactly, you would need a remote switch to turn it on and off. in RV's this is standard. then you have to wait for the heater to heat up the water depending on ambient temp this takes 30 minutes to an hour. you don't have to worry about the gas valve it's a on demand electronic valve. highdesertranger

BradKW said:
possibly you missed the H2O part of this?    :)

I saw the H20 part but I started thinking that  being in Florida you could probably put a low profile solar water heater on the roof.