Need home base

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpthomas

Reaction score
Does anyone live in their van or camper full time, and NOT travel?  Where do you have it parked?  I can't take off to travel yet, but I need to be out of this house I'm in soon.

consider a barter deal - chores for parking - like with a church, manufacturer, local biz; anyone with control of their own parking lot. Would have to be "off the books" with someone not scared of legal consequences, like liability if you get harmed.

This situation is when folks rely on stealth tactics. I think there is a whole section discussing that aspect somewhere here.
It would give you some great options.

Anything stealth is what you'll want to keep an eye out for.

Look up “stealth parking” on the forum.

When I’m stuck in a city for a job, I stealth in truck stops, Walmarts, Cracker Barrel’s, hotels/motels, etc.

Look up city/county/state laws in your area.

Heck, speak to a police officer in your area if your comfortable, they may direct you to safe places to sleep in your car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see on Craigslist people advertising for a place to park their van. As a property owner I'd be concerned about someone trashing the place or refusing to leave if I decide it isn't working out well for me.

Your instincts will tell you, as long as you don't need a sticker in your town or city.. Just keep your wits.. You'll sleep better than you ever have.

Good luck ✊

The police in our town pointed us to city parking downtown. The lots marked free 3 hour from 8 to 7 and like that. From 7 to 8 am, 11 really, you are legal to park overnight. Only the ones saying No Over Night are to be avoided. Same for streets marked 3 hour parking from 8 to 5 and so forth.
Talk to the police first, we are on a list as homeless, clean, insured, non problems. "Mostly Harmless". If you don't want to ask, they will investigate to be sure you are alive in there, but as long as you are parked legally, all they can do is run your plates and find out if you need 'moving along'. Stay safe!

There are a lot of aging park models for sale in the AZ desert due to covid economics. Like so many things, everything lasts longer in the desert.

Expect to pay between 7 thousand and 20 thousand, and get the one with the large car shade, obviously. Many come with amenities such as laundry, showers, drinking water, tire pump, swimming pool.

Many come with prepaid space rent, 6 months free or so, after that you will have to pay annual rent plus electricity. Annual rent runs from about 2 thousand to the high end 4 thousand five hundred, depending on location.

To find one, google the rv parks in your desired area and look at their sales. Also drive thru and look at the for sale signs, some are only posted at the unit with no other advertizing. Offer cash today for the lowest price.

What I use for a home base.
-crofter

HappyLife1977 said:
The police in our town pointed us to city parking downtown. The lots marked free 3 hour from 8 to 7 and like that. From 7 to 8 am, 11 really, you are legal to park overnight. Only the ones saying No Over Night are to be avoided. Same for streets marked 3 hour parking from 8 to 5 and so forth.
Talk to the police first, we are on a list as homeless, clean, insured, non problems. "Mostly Harmless". If you don't want to ask, they will investigate to be sure you are alive in there, but as long as you are parked legally, all they can do is run your plates and find out if you need 'moving along'. Stay safe!

My run ins with police have been uneventful and polite. They usually just want to make sure you are safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk