Nature Lover and friends keep in touch

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As to the inquiry about penguin pictures. I once walked into my psychiatrist office and saw a penguin in a Santa Claus suit. I knew immediately he had the same problem I did. Bipolar. (Do I need to explain this one)

As far as living in a box goes my trailer is the only box I have ever lived in. It is a very confined space. Not saying I do not like it, just saying it is literally living in box. Being on wheels does not change the space.

Another wonderful day in the nursing home. (N O T) getting stronger and hoping to get out of here before too long. Again thanks for all the encouragement I’ve gotten recently. I did apply to HOWA, as Did thousands of others. I’m glad I’m not on that committee try to determine who has the most need. That would not be an easy job. naturally, there is someone I would elevate above the others, He is a handsome young man who snowbirds across the East Coast every year and has occasionally postEd on this forum with beautiful pictures. Bet you can’t guess who I would pick.

So today I’m gonna put up a crested Cara Cara and a roseate spoonbill. If any of them are repeats I’m sorry I gotta find a way to keep track of what I put up to avoid repeats but I haven’t found that yet. God bless the nomads each and everyone of them.

Attachments

• 5645A645-8F0A-4814-8834-9AB2F7D2262E.jpeg
    5645A645-8F0A-4814-8834-9AB2F7D2262E.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • D8C2400B-14EF-42D5-98EB-07CBFC6C19E0.jpeg
    D8C2400B-14EF-42D5-98EB-07CBFC6C19E0.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Welcome back, NL....you are loved and missed. Thanks for the great pics and manatee stories.

Heck, yeah, glad you applied for the van. Seek and you shall find; ask and you shall receive; knock and the door shall be opened to you....apply or you shall never know what might have been.

Yep I’m back, gotta find something to do when I’m in this home. Saturday and Sunday I have no therapy so it’s like sitting still. But I did get some photo editing of the day.

as to the van I did apply but I’m wondering if they’ll even consider an East Coast person. I’m not saying they’re unfair or dishonest (I don’t think that of them) but the organization is obviously heavily weighted on the West Coast that’s where they’re at that’s where they do their work so I understand that.

I’d like us to get more organized here on the East Coast but seems everybody else has ideas on how to do it and I’m not good at computer stuff. My vision for EANN, Eastern American nomad Netwerk, was different than a forum it was a practical way to keep track of each other where we’re at where we’re going to be if we want to get together, post immediate needs that we can respond to and if we have stuff to share or sell. I often wonder as I go down the road and see a van headed the other direction if I might know that person from the forum??? I thought this formum takes care of all the other stuff very well we just need to communicate with each other in this region. But I didn’t get anything done on it since others didn’t seem too happy about the way I was doing it. If anyone has an idea for basic communication with a group rather than a forum let me know I still own the name and the site.

I’m posting two pictures of small wildflowers I found in Perry County PA this summer. Both are about the size of a nickel but I have them blown up for you. The pink one is called Deptford pink and the blue one is called blue eyed grass.

Attachments

• 3CA4F134-1184-423D-A095-7B5375A8AEA0.jpeg
    3CA4F134-1184-423D-A095-7B5375A8AEA0.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 40A0B282-1E64-43DB-92F3-C793BA0C85C2.jpeg
    40A0B282-1E64-43DB-92F3-C793BA0C85C2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hello again from a rehab facility in Lancaster County Pennsylvania. My application for the road trek from HOWA Took three tries to get it right but it got in in time. If you believe in prayer say a word for me and if you don’t believe in prayer at least cross your fingers. It would be a dream to have a vehicle like that. I’d even be able to take showers, many of my friends who know me say that would be a wonderful addition to my life. I think they spend more time with me. Also being able to cook inside the van more Conveniently etc. would be a blessing and probably make my diet much better. I’m looking forward to getting out of this Place by the first week of October.

i’m posting two pictures today from Florida this winter one is a short build dowitcher the other is a great blue heron with a eel for dinner.

Attachments

• 1F083679-AB27-4C18-A7FF-6372E53E2A14.jpeg
    1F083679-AB27-4C18-A7FF-6372E53E2A14.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • A6D95BB0-F60B-4A24-B2C9-8EB920F2ACCC.jpeg
    A6D95BB0-F60B-4A24-B2C9-8EB920F2ACCC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Just got an email from HOWA. There are 77 applicants which will be sorted out and then the final list will be interviewed. I wouldn’t want their job it won’t be easy. Two pictures from Florida again. These are both the “little blue heron”. The white one is immature and actually transitioning so it’s nearly a year old. Of course the blue one is mature. This is not just a small blue Heron this is a separate species called the little blue heron.

Attachments

• 434B6AFC-8CFD-42DA-8906-5C1A4CBBF680.jpeg
    434B6AFC-8CFD-42DA-8906-5C1A4CBBF680.jpeg
    9.3 MB · Views: 0
  • DDD4E2CB-7E50-4778-B0E3-5BC0DD94D400.jpeg
    DDD4E2CB-7E50-4778-B0E3-5BC0DD94D400.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Nature Lover the odds of it being you that gets lucky are statistically huge compared to winning a mega millions lottery! Best wishes on your dream. Of course if you do win we are going to have to keep you out West for the winter. Plus you will be in a feature film!

Yes we have snowbirds in the east, and I’m one of them. Both east and west are drawn to the sand. The west coasters are going to the desert with course brown sand and very little vegetation. We east coasters Are drawn to the powdered sugar white sands of western Florida with palm trees and birds and Clear clean water in the Gulf of Mexico to swim in. I might like those people in the west but I’m coming east as soon as possible. If I win that rig it’s going to be headed straight east. Maki 2 yes the odds are better in my favor. The noble thing would be to say I hope the most deserving gets it, but I keep thinking I hope I’m the one who gets it. What a blessing it is that people share such things I wish I was rich enough to share things. God bless the nomads each and everyone.

Last edited:
Hello all,……. Gypsy Jan, thank you for the compliment I don’t like to toot my own horn and I don’t even like it much when others praise me. BUT thank you very much.

again, same thing as I posted last time, those of you who believe in prayer keep praying about that rig that is sitting out in Pahrump it sure would make my life much better. And those of you who don’t believe in prayer cross your fingers and your toes, rub your lucky rabbits foot or whatever. The committee said they’ll probably know by the 21st, at least that’s their goal. That means it’s coming down to the wire and I have not been interviewed yet. if I don’t get another rig I probably won’t make it to Florida but I’ll try to make it as far south as I can because I can’t live in the cold in my van.

today I’m posting pictures of the common moor hen (gallinule). some pictures of adults with their candy corn beak And one of the chicks at about three weeks old just starting to nibble on plants for it,s self. These birds are abundant in Florida and they go much further north they’ve even been recorded in Pennsylvania but it’s very unusual.

God bless all the nomads; especially those who are on the HOWA committee giving the van away.

Attachments

• 1674736B-9504-4441-8BE8-DDCFFADC1FF4.jpeg
    1674736B-9504-4441-8BE8-DDCFFADC1FF4.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 0
  • C60ED35D-1ACE-47E3-ACBC-85DCB4B1D495.jpeg
    C60ED35D-1ACE-47E3-ACBC-85DCB4B1D495.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 7CD7A961-32DE-4460-AFB5-6EE47CD366A2.jpeg
    7CD7A961-32DE-4460-AFB5-6EE47CD366A2.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Hi Nature Lover - I am so happy to see you posting to your forum thread again. I've been wondering what happened to you! I am praying for a good vehicle for your future nomadic adventures, and all good things for you. I am loving your photos.

You're map is showing a route we drove 2 years ago and driving through the plans states was difficult because of the high winds. We had to stop several times in our little van and even while sitting still the wind can get dangerous. Depending on the seasons, I'd head more north along the Canada board during the summer then more south in the winter. Plus I would keep track of the radar and fire conditions.

Here's a few links everyone need to bookmark:

https://www.nhc.noaa.govhttps://fire.airnow.govhttps://smokymountains.com/fall-foliage-map/https://www.wunderground.com/maps/wind/jet-stream

You're map is showing a route we drove 2 years ago and driving through the plans states was difficult because of the high winds. We had to stop several times in our little van and even while sitting still the wind can get ….,
I guess you really are “Lost in Transit” because no one posted a map in any recent conversations in this thread.

Hello nomads, good to hear from you again travel around. I often think of you, especially when I hear about fires in California. I hope you’ve experienced the last one of yours.

In reference to the HOWA van gift. keep praying and keep your fingers crossed. The committee giving the van away from HOWA is coming down to the wire. Their goal is to have a decision made by Wednesday the 21st. They haven’t contacted me for an interview so I guess this east coaster is out of the picture. But I’m still hoping because I need to have something else To live and travel in. and this thing looks like a dream rig that might last The rest of my natural life. Man’s gotta have a dream.

I’m posting some pictures of thistles today. They are quite beautiful flowers but of course the farmers want to spray them with chemicals and get rid of them. These were located in the tuscarora forest of Perry County Earlier this summer. Because I’ve been stuck in the rehab hospital nursing home for over a month now so these were taken earlier this year, they are a great source of nectar for the butterflies including the tiger swallowtail you’ll see here. I did not ID the beetle with long antenna you see in the one picture, my library is in the van so when I get back I might remember to look it up. Looking forward to getting out of here very soon.

Attachments

• 34E7E182-5C59-455A-8957-6E0D67F2FC2A.jpeg
    34E7E182-5C59-455A-8957-6E0D67F2FC2A.jpeg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 8887EC38-A2E9-4CE2-9268-DEB651BA948F.jpeg
    8887EC38-A2E9-4CE2-9268-DEB651BA948F.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 34890EDC-BD26-49F0-BA96-48E1D1D83C42.jpeg
    34890EDC-BD26-49F0-BA96-48E1D1D83C42.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hello nomads, well, it is coming down to the wire even closer. Tomorrow is the day HOWA set as a goal to have the decision made on the road trek. I still am praying but I’ve stopped planning my trip out west and I’m trying to face reality. I don’t think that rig is coming east. I have been fantasizing about Living in that rig And since I would have to go to Pahrump to pick it up I was Fantasizing and researching traveling further west to see the big trees and maybe the monarch roost in California. Those have been two things on my mind for many years. You can’t always get what you want!!! Learning to be content with what you’ve got brings a lot more happiness than wishing for what you don’t have. I keep telling myself that. After the problems started with my van last year in Florida I was seeing rigs go by me thinking oh that would be a good one or that would be a good one. Then I realized I needed to work on being content with having And being thankful for the one I have which served me well for several years. You live and learn. But sometimes that learning and easy.

today’s pictures are of “bugs”. love bugs from Florida, A species of “march fly“ that only live a few days but are attached to their mate by their “sex parts“ for most of that time. (I would if I could wouldn’t you) They even “fly United“ sometimes vast numbers of them fly together (literally) In the hundreds of thousands. They have been recorded flying as high as 1500 feet and traveling miles in the wind Overl land and the Gulf of Mexico.

Then there’s a picture of a lizard making a meal of what I think is an Moth I could not ID. It may be a spotted lantern fly??? Which looks like a moth. He wanted to tell me what he was eating but he couldn’t remember, but it was on the tip of his tongue.😉

Lastly the green bug with big wheels. It caught my eye and had to stop and take a picture. I asked the owner if it was for sale why would he ask for it. He said if you can climb your big fat arse up there drive it and then get out of it without help you can have it. Yeah he got me on that one I didn’t even try. I don’t think I could live in that vehicle anyway.

yes God bless all the nomads on the road, and God bless whoever received my fantasy van.

Attachments

• 8C8F561F-344C-4C5C-A320-FD3364B652DE.jpeg
    8C8F561F-344C-4C5C-A320-FD3364B652DE.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 187F2BB4-AA78-4731-81CD-FC676AD42AEF.jpeg
    187F2BB4-AA78-4731-81CD-FC676AD42AEF.jpeg
    409.3 KB · Views: 0
  • C4814845-9023-4DFB-ADA3-28C7C32C1B83.jpeg
    C4814845-9023-4DFB-ADA3-28C7C32C1B83.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Naturelove there will be a lot of disappointed people who do not get the van.

Perhaps there were also disappointed people who did not get projects accepted they were hoping to get done.

HOWA put out a call for volunteers for a carpenter to build a bed and for solar installers and leads. I can do all those things. I was a lead at Boeing and a couple of other companies so coordinating work for a construction type crew is in my skill set. But I would pass on the solar install job as my hands would need a power crimper for anything over 10 gauge and even 10 gauge is getting to be a struggle.

Whenever I see something out of the ordinary in a natural setting, I think of you. In fact, when I see something ordinary that intrigues me (thistles do come to mind), it reminds me how much I've enjoyed your photos. Glad you're here!