My Cargo Trailer Conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izifaddag

Reaction score
I thought I would try to show some of what I have done so far to my enclosed cargo trailer conversion.
It is made by Triple R Trailers in Booneville, MS. I chose a 12 x 6 with a ramp rear door. I was governed by weight and money considerations or I would have got something bigger. I own a Mazda MPV minivan that I bought brand new in 2004. I have treated it well and it has given little trouble. Currently has about 75,000 on the clock. 
In the trailer I decided that the best use of the V was a kitchen and the AC unit. This worked out well. I had visions of using the ramp as a deck but have all but abandoned that idea. It isn't practical and the likelihood is that I will get an awning and carpet and sit outside just like everyone else does.
I built a folding bed and ceiling cabinets from scratch. Mostly 1/2" ply not furniture grade or very little. 
There is a Honda 2000 generator although at present I have shore power. 
I installed a cheap eBay transfer switch that works great and built a battery from 38120 cells. That was a mistake. All I ended up with was 32 amp hours. I waiting on a Mighty Max 100 amp hour battery to arrive. Also 2 100 watt solar panels by ECO-WORTHY. No I've never heard of them either. 
I also built in a shower which is quite large. The photo explains better than words. I use an electric kettle for small amounts of hot water and I have a propane tabletop hot water heater for the shower.
On the to do list. 
1. Install solar panels, new battery, controller etc.
2. A diesel heater mounted on the aforementioned ramp door.
3. Possibly mounting the Honda generator on a secure steel tray on the back door (still deciding that).    
4. Improving the kitchen area with the sink sunk in. At the moment I have a mixing bowl standing under the faucet.   
5. Build a large cabinet at the rear of the camper for the shower tote + bag with hot water heater etc. 
There is much more I could mention. The minivan needs some work too. Air assist on the shocks, an external oil cooler, maybe a bigger radiator, the floor finished etc. I want to be able to park the trailer somewhere and take off in the minivan as a camper. Ok let's see if I can add these photos.1. COMPLETE RIG MAY 2019.jpg2. INSULATION.jpg3. FLOORING.jpg4. AC SHELF.jpg5. AC FRAMING.jpg6. AC VENTS.jpg7. EARLY DAYS.jpg8. TV INSTALL.jpg9. RECLINER AND TV.jpg10. COMMODE.jpg11. KITCHEN LIGHTS.jpg12. KITCHEN.jpg13. KITCHEN COMPLETE.jpg14. BED AND CABINETS.jpg15. CEILING CABINETS.jpg

Attachments

• 2. INSULATION.jpg
    2. INSULATION.jpg
    785.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 15. CEILING CABINETS.jpg
    15. CEILING CABINETS.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 14. BED AND CABINETS.jpg
    14. BED AND CABINETS.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 13. KITCHEN COMPLETE.jpg
    13. KITCHEN COMPLETE.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 12. KITCHEN.jpg
    12. KITCHEN.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 11. KITCHEN LIGHTS.jpg
    11. KITCHEN LIGHTS.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 10. COMMODE.jpg
    10. COMMODE.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 9. RECLINER AND TV.jpg
    9. RECLINER AND TV.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 7. EARLY DAYS.jpg
    7. EARLY DAYS.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 6. AC VENTS.jpg
    6. AC VENTS.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 5. AC FRAMING.jpg
    5. AC FRAMING.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 4. AC SHELF.jpg
    4. AC SHELF.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 3. FLOORING.jpg
    3. FLOORING.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 33
  • 1. COMPLETE RIG MAY 2019.jpg
    1. COMPLETE RIG MAY 2019.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 8. TV INSTALL.jpg
    8. TV INSTALL.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 28
Here are some more photos.
I took photos of each stage of construction and if you want as a question I would be happy to help others.

Attachments

• 18. ELECTRICAL.jpg
    18. ELECTRICAL.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 25. CURRENT LOCATION.jpg
    25. CURRENT LOCATION.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 28
  • 24. TAKING A SHOWER.jpg
    24. TAKING A SHOWER.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 23. SHOWER HEAD.jpg
    23. SHOWER HEAD.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 22. SHOWER.jpg
    22. SHOWER.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 21. BED.jpg
    21. BED.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20. HOMEMADE DRAWER HANDLES AND WHIPPING.jpg
    20. HOMEMADE DRAWER HANDLES AND WHIPPING.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 19. EXENDED RUNTIME.jpg
    19. EXENDED RUNTIME.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 17. V NOSE.jpg
    17. V NOSE.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 16. CABINETS TRIMMED.jpg
    16. CABINETS TRIMMED.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 13
Nice work! Wish I could cut a square corner, but ....

I am a complete amateur and I am not happy with anything I have done. In fact in time I think I will rip it all out.  The extended generator runtime fuel line worked out well although that needs improving. My battery was a waste of time. The bed is too narrow and my choice of recliner could have been better. 
Yes - I could have done a lot better I think. But thank you.

An alternative is, sell this one and start with a new one, rather than tear it all out. I'm sure you could turn a profit on this one.

I never thought of that. I don't think I could face building another one. It would certainly go faster so there is that. 
It has been a hard decision to get realistic about that ramp. Oh well I will just keep thinking it over and maybe I can get some more ideas when I go to Quartszite next winter.

I don't think HDR is going to like my use of 4 x 2s lol :)

izifaddag said:
 hard decision to get realistic about that ramp.
As a vandweller when on the road, I've also thought a lot about converting a cargo trailer, assuming I ever get the van paid off. Originally I thought barn doors in the back the best option, but anymore I like the ramp. What a lot of people do is put in a lightweight back wall with a door and screens. The wall is offset about 12-18" to the inside so they have a small garage space at the extreme rear, also used for batteries, solar controllers, etc. Then they drop the ramp to horizontal, pull down an awning, and have a nice covered back porch, up off the dust, and with good cross ventilation. Peachy.

If my pickup had held up I would have done a cargo trailer. Could not afford both the horse and the buggy at the same time.
-crofter

My suspicion came to be true.
Yesterday I hooked up the minivan to the trailer having spent several days running around preparing to 'launch' so to speak.
It was a complete failure. All my logic about litigious car companies and memories of a friends family and their Datsun and caravan was wrong.
My Mazda minivan could not cope with being loaded down, a rooftop box, and the camper. I lost all clearance and I have watched enough videos to know that whether I like it or not there is going to be some somewhat rough ground in my future.
I experimented locally and I could see that there was no way on earth that my poor little minvan could handle any kind of slope let alone a slightly mountainous road. I would have burned out the transmission in the middle of Nebraska or something.
I have managed to buy a Chevrolet Avalanche for $3,500 and that seems to be the ticket. As Crofter says about affording the horse and buggy at the same time I agree wholeheartedly. I got the trailer April 2019 but I could have done without this.
My savings got hit pretty hard there. Now I am faced with another problem --- selling the minivan. It is perfect with low miles and absolutely nothing wrong with it and I am stuck with it. I am about out of ideas. Anybody have a suggestion? Selling is going to be almost impossible. I checked the market and made some phone calls. Nobody wants a perfect, clean low mileage minivan. This is a real problem.

Actually they do, right here, on this forum. 

You might want to advertise it in the MarketPlace thread. 

Good luck, and yeah, that van is too small to pull around a loaded or built-out cargo trailer of that size. But it would probably make a fine little camper for someone just starting out.

Nice job on the trailer, by the way! I made a set of ramp stands and a screen, and I used my ramp door as a drop-down deck, it will easily fit a very small folding table and 2 folding chairs.

I was looking for a couple of pics to upload showing my trailer with the ramp set-up as a small deck...and I missed the edit window!

But here ya go...these are a few years old:

IMG_20170405_180804.jpgIMG_20180405_185923.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170405_180804.jpg
    IMG_20170405_180804.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20180405_185923.jpg
    IMG_20180405_185923.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 18
tx2sturgis said:
Actually they do, right here, on this forum. 

You might want to advertise it in the MarketPlace thread. 

Good luck, and yeah, that van is too small to pull around a loaded or built-out cargo trailer of that size. But it would probably make a fine little camper for someone just starting out.

Nice job on the trailer, by the way! I made a set of ramp stands and a screen, and I used my ramp door as a drop-down deck, it will easily fit a very small folding table and 2 folding chairs.
I didn't know you could sell on the forum. Thanks. 

The Chevy V8 Avalanche is a 2002 with 200,000 miles. Runs and looks like it was only a couple of years old. Buying from a mechanic who worked on my truck / trailer for 4 years.
Do you know anything about those Chevies TX? 

Thanks for the compliment on the build. I am a bit of a perfectionist a bit self critical. The rear door / ramp is a bit of a puzzle. I bought a ramp model for this exact purpose---a deck. 
Then I started 2nd guessing myself having lived in it for a year. It started to look like a wall.

I am going to build a cabinet about 9" to a foot in off the ramp. It will have a backboard that will go up to the ceiling. The idea is to have a place to store my shower tote and a diesel heater etc. 
When the bed is folded up the new cabinet will still allow a walkway through to access that ramp door.
If I do this right I can have a deck and a 'garage area'. Nothing beats living in a vehicle for a year to figure out the best space design.  

I would really like to know what people think of the Avalanche. It is 2 wheel drive. I could have had an SUV with 4 wheel drive for $3,000 but the Avalanche gets good mpg and it is so awesomely big.
Would love to know what people think about that car.

izifaddag said:
Do you know anything about those Chevies TX? 

Not really, the last Chevy I owned was a 1994 model stepside pickup. I think they called it the Styleside, something like that..anyway, a while back and no direct knowledge of the Avalanche, but it should be able to handle that trailer, it is a much larger tow vehicle. I presume it has a tow rating of around 5000 pounds, just guessing.

izifaddag above wrote:

"Anybody have a suggestion? Selling is going to be almost impossible. I checked the market and made some phone calls. Nobody wants a perfect, clean low mileage minivan. This is a real problem. "

Where are you located? There is a market for low mileage minivans.

If the Avalanche has a 350 you should be good. My Suburban --1999 ---probably has less power and is fine towing a 7 by 12. Eats the gas though.
If memory serves it is just a cross between a suburban with a truck bed.
Actually a pretty nice idea over a minivan tow vehicle.

Is it not worth putting it on this forum, Craigslist or ebay to see if you can generate some interest, I would've thought that this was precisely the vehicle someone wanting to build a minivan camper would want!

The Av's are popular around here , as for 2 or 4x4 I'd rather have 2x4 with a Locker (not limited slip) I  have both and do just fine here in the just west of upper mid west with an elocker on my van , Also todays 4x's with independent front suspension's have TOOOOOOOOOOO many parts to service and are weaker than old school solid axel 
Nice trailer :thumbsup:

Latest posts