musician currently living out of a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I had decided last year that I wanted to make the jump to living out of a van to travel, but I wound up getting a job that allowed me to travel around the country and so my dreams came true. I will probably be doing this for the next year with the company but then i want to make the leap onto my own and try to make a living off of my music, either by busking or playing in other venues. Are there any other musicians on this forum?
I think I've decided to get a van and convert it, not sure what kind yet. Also, I am a female, and would plan to do this by myself. Any other women here? I love this site and it offers so much info.

Pippy

Welcome Pippy to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. there are lots of ladies on this forum. they will chime in. highdesertranger

Welcome to the band (err I mean tribe) Pippy!
What kind of stuff do you do now ?

There are some musicians here but they're back stage right now on break!
I think there might be a skunk in there too??????????????????????

We have a Hodge Podge assortment of musicians, ( me drummer) the rub is the need to be far far away from anyone to play,(hand drum or tamborine) the few times trying out a drum circle resulted in mucho complaints from ABOVE ...welcome PIPPY I love the implication enjoy Adrian

Well, Pippy, you have chosen my favorite book series from grade school for your handle! And you seem to have the original Pippy's bravery.

There are a LOT of women on this forum (you may want to peek at the threads in the section called the Girl's Room or just keep reading threads and you'll see us.

Women thinking of traveling solo often have worries about safety, but most of us who have chimed in on the threads addressing this feel safer when traveling (especially boondocking) than most women do in sticks & bricks.

Musicians are far fewer but I know some will identify themselves to you.

Welcome!

Thanks to everyone for the replies :)
I currently am a motivational speaker and go into schools around the country. I also busk(street performance) too sometimes.
What are some of the ways you make money? How much money do you need to live on average?

Hi Pippy! My wife and I have played for years but are just getting back into it. We have never done the busking thing, but would really like to do that. We don't know much about it, but would like to try. We have a friend in Australia that keeps encouraging us to give it a whirl.

We have a trailer at the moment, but are looking to switch to a van within the next year. 

We play folk/Americana/ not sure what type of music. You?

Stephen said:
Hi Pippy! My wife and I have played for years but are just getting back into it. We have never done the busking thing, but would really like to do that. We don't know much about it, but would like to try. We have a friend in Australia that keeps encouraging us to give it a whirl.

We have a trailer at the moment, but are looking to switch to a van within the next year. 

We play folk/Americana/ not sure what type of music. You?

Hello Stephen, Thats awesome! If you do go for it, youll have to let me know how it goes.
I play folktronica when it's just me and my guitar, but I also do electronic stuff too when I have electricity. I didn't bring all my equipment on the road, just my guitar, so that will have to do for now. :p.
Are you guys fulltime on the road?

pippylongstocking said:
Are you guys fulltime on the road?

Unfortunately we are not. We are in the process of selling the house and moving to Michigan where our daughter has a small apartment attached to her house that we are going to use as a home base. We will probably travel for about half of the year, or a little more. We have grandkids that need visiting, so that will cut into road time.

I understand about not taking all your stuff. We both play guitar and I play mandolin as well as keyboards. The keyboards never make the cut!

I'll be watching to see how things turn out for you.

Hi Pippy.

I live full time in a 1988 Chevy Astro. I still work full time as I am still paying off student loan debts and some medical bills. I am hoping to eventually retire at 62 and travel more. There's a bunch of places I want to see and I can't wait. 

Welcome!

VanGrrl57  :)