Music for traveling

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carla618

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone NOT use streaming or their radio for listening to music while driving? Where do you buy your music from and what device are you using? Thanks.

We have ipod nano, 7th generation think, that is half full with over 900 songs. Some were loaded from old CDs, some I bought from apple, some were from friends and relatives collections. When visiting people I always ask if I can go through their CDs and load more onto our iPod. We have a little blue tooth speaker which has amazing sound for such a tiny thing that we use when we're not driving.

Thanks so much. Does Apple require that you download their software to add music to the ipod nano? I'll start reading up on ipods. My truck stereo has bluetooth and usb. I want a speaker, but will it work without one via the Sony stereo?

I think there is a way to download music without Apple software but I've never done it that way. I've always either bought directly from Apple or downloaded music from a cd to my laptop then added it to my Apple library. You could get an mp3/mp4 player if you want to avoid using Apple.

We plug the iPod into the port in the dashboard and listen to music through the truck speakers when traveling.

You could get an mp3/mp4 player if you want to avoid using Apple.
That was my original plan. The only way I made CDs in the past was by using file sharing programs then burning the .mp3s to a CD. Sometimes I added songs from purchased CD's. Seems trickier nowadays. I've been reading up, but it is a little confusing. I just want to buy songs and put them on a .mp3 player or flash drive.

Apple is ok, just trying to figure out how Apple music works. I've never owned anything Apple. Forgot you are already using an Apple device so it would require the Apple app for downloading. Do you search for, and purchase, music from your ipod or from a Mac laptop?

Hi there. I like music!

I have Amazon Prime, and an iPhone, but I more often find myself streaming music over YouTube. they have a music app which cuts down on the 'bandwidth" or whatever. I pay $15 month t get the ad free option, and it allows me to download stuff too. You can also download music or videos to osther storage devices. Kindo like CD's except in a little thumbdrive, or on an iPod thingy.

I like live music. I am a cook, but after dinner - I appreciate a musician who can play a guitar, or harmonica, or beat on an empty Crisco can, whatever! :p

Hi there. I like music!

I have Amazon Prime, and an iPhone, but I more often find myself streaming music over YouTube. they have a music app which cuts down on the 'bandwidth" or whatever. I pay $15 month t get the ad free option, and it allows me to download stuff too. You can also download music or videos to osther storage devices. Kindo like CD's except in a little thumbdrive, or on an iPod thingy.

I like live music. I am a cook, but after dinner - I appreciate a musician who can play a guitar, or harmonica, or beat on an empty Crisco can, whatever! :p
I made a playlist on youtube and planned on paying to join, until I realized it is streaming only. When these subscription places say you can download for playback later, aren't you limited to how many you can download? I'm trying to avoid streaming as much as possible. AFAIK, bandwidth of any kind costs water. Much like mining for bitcoin. But that stuff is politics... just don't want to stream.

I search and buy music from an HP laptop but I've only gone through Apple music. Apple deliberately makes it complicated to use anything but Apple music with an ipod.

I looked at my library and I haven't added anything since 2020 so I'm a little behind on the recent changes made by Apple. Apparently, Apple Music is a streaming service with a monthly charge but you can still get iTunes for free and then buy music to download.

Does anyone NOT use streaming or their radio for listening to music while driving? Where do you buy your music from and what device are you using? Thanks.
In all honesty, I've never used any streaming service, nor do I listen to music while driving. Way too distracting.
The only time the radio might get turned on is if there is an acute need for traffic or weather info, and that is it. Don't get me wrong, I love music and have been playing guitar and bass for over 30 years... but while driving I prefer silence, or just talking with my wife.

I made a playlist on youtube and planned on paying to join, until I realized it is streaming only. When these subscription places say you can download for playback later, aren't you limited to how many you can download? I'm trying to avoid streaming as much as possible. AFAIK, bandwidth of any kind costs water. Much like mining for bitcoin. But that stuff is politics... just don't want to stream.
With YouTube subscription, I'm pretty sure that the only limitation on downloading is the available space on your device. I've never hit that ceiling, if there is one. I think the same is true for Spotify. Although I'm an Apple "early adopter" (1986!), I use Android for my mobile device. So I'm not sure about Apple, but it's probably the same deal.
When I'm away from cell signals (and tired of my own pickin' and grinnin'), the pre-downloaded music can be nice. That said, I usually prefer the silence, since that's (ostensibly) what we're out there for.

When I'm away from cell signals (and tired of my own pickin' and grinnin'), the pre-downloaded music can be nice. That said, I usually prefer the silence, since that's (ostensibly) what we're out there for.
Silence in nature is great. I wouldn't want music once at camp. I just want it for driving. I don't even listen to it at home, except while gaming sometimes.

I can't count how many trips I have made to far southern Illinois from northern Illinois. . It's a 6+ hour drive one way and music makes it more enjoyable. I've made numerous trips to New York and Massachusetts and remember long stretches of highway similar to Illinois (Ie. Indiana, Ohio), so I'm preparing for the soybean fields.

Thanks for the info about youtube and Spotify. My kids love Spotify. More reading to do!

Wiki says "Tidal is an American subscription-based music, podcast and video streaming service..."

I don't want a subscription. I want to own the songs. You pay monthly like with Spotify?
I pay $5.99 a month with a veteran discount. For me it’s worth it but I understand how it’s not tempting for others.

I really like their daily explore algorithm that helps me explore new music from listening history.

I pay $5.99 a month with a veteran discount. For me it’s worth it but I understand how it’s not tempting for others.

I really like their daily explore algorithm that helps me explore new music from listening history.
Is there a limit to how many songs you can download?

I don't stream any music at all. my music is located on my computer. I only have about 7.25 gigs of music but they are all my favorite albums. each song is saved as a song title and put into it's own album directory and labeled it's album name. when traveling I just copy the songs I want to listen to, to a usb drive and plug that into the usb on the radio in the vehicle, to use it's stereo. the stereo then mix's the songs up and plays all the songs I chose on the usb drive.

We prefer absolute silence as we travel.
More time to observe, more time to point at something to share along the way.
The smile of my beloved or a dog nosing under my arm... sublime.
A bunch of Muzak® would interfere... with the moment, with our presence.
Although, occasionally, I could see Brahms 118-2 intermezzo in A supplementing the magnificence:

Last edited:
We prefer absolute silence as we travel.
More time to observe, more time to point at something to share along the way.
The smile of my beloved or a dog nosing under my arm... sublime.
A bunch of Muzak® would interfere... with the moment, with our presence.
That's nice. But I'm asking those who do listen to music:)

Latest posts