GMRS radios useful for Vanlife?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KuxW04

Reaction score
Anybody uses GMRS radios for vanlife ?

These are fancy walkie-talkies who can transmit line of sight for longer distances than what you can buy at Walmart.
You can have a small but powerful station installed in your van and external antenna and be able to receive / transmit up to 50 miles away in perfect conditions.

My primary use would be in emergencies, if there is no cell reception AND if anybody is listening on any channels.
Also, would be interested to just listen to chatter while I travel.
I understand this is getting a bit more popular nor, even thoug truckers still use CB radios.

Thanks

Anybody uses GMRS radios for vanlife ?

These are fancy walkie-talkies who can transmit line of sight for longer distances than what you can buy at Walmart.
You can have a small but powerful station installed in your van and external antenna and be able to receive / transmit up to 50 miles away in perfect conditions.

My primary use would be in emergencies, if there is no cell reception AND if anybody is listening on any channels.
Also, would be interested to just listen to chatter while I travel.
I understand this is getting a bit more popular nor, even thoug truckers still use CB radios.

Thanks
Sounds similar to a CB base station used with the powerful walkie talkie you mentioned.

Base stations were fun. My brother had one with a powerful antenna.