Ham Radio. What do you use while camping and traveling?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypRat

Reaction score
Just curious, what ham radio equipment you use in your van, RV, travel trailer etc.?

I've been a ham for over 30 years. Currently have a nice HF and VHF/UHF setup at the house, with a 75ft tower and a kilowatt amplifier.
We just bought a 2010 R-Pod 173 and I've been thinking about installing several ham radios in it. My interests are primarily in HF bands, with world-wide coverage, obviously when propagation is favorable.
I will probably use my Icom-7300 for HF and Icom ID-5100 for VHF/UHF. Right now I'm trying to decide which Hf antenna to use and where to place it. Most likely it will be a Tarheel HF, "screwdriver" type antenna that covers 80-10m bands. For VHF/UHF, I'm thinking about a Comet SBB-5, mounted on a motorized mount on the roof. The SBB-5 antenna is a half-wave vertical that does not require good ground plane.
I'm thinking about mounting the Tarheel HF vertical on the A-frame near the front hitch.

Perhaps some of you will want to share what you use. Maybe post pictures, if you have any. This may help other members to get some ideas about using ham radio in their RVs. 

Surprisingly, very few people know about ham radio. Many of those who do, think it's something like CB radio, with very limited range. People get very surprised when I tell them that I routinely make contacts with stations several thousand (and even more) miles away from my small mobile HF radio and the antenna in the back of my SUV. They think I use repeaters and the internet which is not true. All I need is a radio, antenna and a 12V power source.
It's a fun hobby and can be your lifeline when all other means of communication fail.

A few pictures of my base station. I'll post pictures of the R-Pod when I get the radios and antennas installed.

Primary Hf antenna, Mosley Pro67b on a 75ft tall tower. It covers 40 through 10 meter bands:
lNSkzhcl.jpg

My base shack. The picture is about a year old. I've added a few Hf rigs since then. Primary rig is a Yaesu FTDX-3000D, with Acom-1000 amplifier:

j7a0eRlh.jpg

Talking to South America and Europe with the portable radio, when camping:

NVxH5rvh.jpg

GypRat All I need is a radio said:
It's a fun hobby and can be your lifeline when all other means of communication fail.

GypRat- I'm a new Technician/working on General...K7EZZ. I'm preparing to explore life "on the road" and HAM definitely figures in. 

All I operate now is a cheap Baofeng and a Ringo Ranger antenna.  I'm interested in QRP and SOTA and nearly went for a Yaesu FT-857.

But, now what with intending to go on the road- that can wait. 

I see your into ICOMs. I like their products too. I've been considering the ID-5100....really like the features, especially crossband repeat given some outdoors pursuits I'm into. The IC-7300 is totally gee-wiz to me! But the 7100 is the way I'm leaning for Nomadic useage. I really like the detachable control head and it's ability to accept a key as I get into CW. Any comments on the 7100 are welcome.

My decisions to explore life on the road and HAM are exciting to this newb!

Duke

Thanks for your reply, Duke.

Actually, Yaesu is my favorite brand but I have a lot of Icoms and Kenwoods as well. There are a lot of good radios there. Try to stay with the products from the "Big Three" - Kenwood, Yaesu and Icom and you'll be ok.

IC-7100 is a fairly good, multi-band radio. You'll like it as long as the size and looks fit you. FT-857d is a great radio as well. FT857 is a much better choice for SOTA than IC-7100. I use either my FT-857 or my Elecraft KX-3 for SOTA. I also have a Yaesu FT-817 that I use for ultra portable ops, mostly in CW mode (Morse code).

Remember one thing, a good antenna makes up 95% of a good ham station. Given choice I would get the best antenna and spend the rest of the money on a radio. When it comes to antennas, size DOES matter, especially on HF (shortwave) bands. Stay away from short verticals that claim to work on all bands without any active tuning system. Based on my 30 years of experience, a large Tarheel, variable center loaded antenna is the best choice for mobile operation. For stationary, it's hard to beat a simple dipole when you need a simple antenna that can be deployed in the field. I've had great luck with an "End Fed" dipole antennas as well. 
Also, many new hams thing that as long as they have an antenna tuner and it can tune a particular antenna, they are good to go. This is not true. After all, a dummy load has an excellent SWR and impedance match but it hardly radiates anything. A tuner should only be used to fine-tune resonant antennas, not to tune a lawn chair as an antenna. Antenna efficiency is a lot more important than your radio's output power. Try to remember that and you will avoid a lot of mistake many new hams make and will save you a lot of money.

IC-5100 is a cool little radio if you need D-Star. Another great radios is a Kenwood TM-V71A. Yaesu 7800 is a great choice as well. I use a Kenwood TM-V71a in my vehicle and also have one at the shack. The one at the shack is used as a cross-band repeater 100% if a time. This allows me to walk around the property (several acres) with a small hand held radio and be able to talk to my buddies 10-20 miles away. It;s tied to a Comet GP-9 antenna at 80 ft above ground.

Hope this answers some of your questions. Feel free to ask any question here. I don't claim to know everything but will try to help the best i can.
73!

Hey Gyprat...that will do as a 'beginners' station...

:p

BTW there's a whole 'nother thread about this topic...you might want to visit it.

73!

QRZ?  De N5AQM!

Been a Ham since 1977 and pretty much been active since then. Currently have a ft817 in a go box in the RV that I use for PSK31 and now FT8 on the HF bands running QRP with a small laptop. Usually use a Hustler mobile setup on the back of the RV but can string an endfed wire with a 40' spider pushup mast when I am not lazy. Been awhile since I ran CW but have filled several logbooks using that mode over the years. Have a 40ft tower here at the QTH but just this last spring pulled down the A3 because it was falling apart after nearly 30 years in the air here in the desrert. Poor thing was falling apart but have the rebuild kit for it,  Just recently put up a OCFD to get back on the HF bands for now.

Also into DMR with a DV Mega hotspot and a TYT MD 380 HT and have been having alot of fun with that mode. Lots of DX at your fingertips and can run portable anywhere with it tethered to my cell fone data. Works FB! Have an IRLP micro node here also.

Either of you guys planning on being at the RTR this coming Jan? Was there last year and am planning on being there again this winter. Also will be in Lake Havasu Az. in 2 weeks for the van build out get together. We live in the phoenix metro area for the past 33 years and recently retired.

Our RV is an 18ft 5th wheel and just got a RAM 1500 with a Hemi to tow it this past summer. Have had the 5th wheel since 1993 and towed it with a Dakota for many years.

Have the means to mount multiple antennas on the back of the rig. Hope you can see it in the pic. We spent 10 days recently at Woods Canyon Lake up on the Rim NE of Payson, Az. on the shakedown cruise with the new truck tow vehicle. Can easily do the speed limits now with the Hemi up 6-7% grades with the trailer in tow. Sure beats 15-20mph in first gear to the floor with the old Dakota.  :)

-Mike

Attachments

• 20170924_171836.jpg
    20170924_171836.jpg
    933.7 KB · Views: 14
Lots of 2 meter in the sw states with their mega  repeater. There are some caravans that head to rtr that run simplex on 2 meter.

There was one that had a 80 meter set up sll the way around his class A rv with an electric antenna matcher.

musicman said:
Lots of 2 meter in the SW  states with their mega  repeater. There are some caravans that head to rtr that run simplex on 2 meter.

There was one that had a 80 meter set up sll the way around his class A rv with an electric antenna matcher.

musicman said:
Lots of 2 meter in the sw states with their mega  repeater. There are some caravans that head to rtr that run simplex on 2 meter.

I've been using the MegaLink since it was only 2 repeaters (Sandia Crest and Mesa Rica)...now its over 35 repeaters on VHF and UHF. I was a member of the UpperRio for years, I helped install and de-bug some of the MegaLink repeaters, I helped transport some of the gear used at some of the sites,   personally know the owner and his wife and have been to BOTH of their nice homes, and his communications shop in Albuquerque, and still have a hat from the very first Mega-Munch get-together.

2017-10-01 18.39.19 (Small).jpg

In fact as we speak, I just keyed one of its repeaters from my home station, and took a quick snapshot:

2017-10-17 07.34.58.jpg

Also was a member of the Cactus Intertie back in the 90's, and a member and frequent user of the Zia System...and was acquainted with and talked with Milt on many occasions over the years. SK now.

So.....what would you like to know?

:p

Attachments

• 2017-10-17 07.34.58.jpg
    2017-10-17 07.34.58.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 2017-10-01 18.39.19 (Small).jpg
    2017-10-01 18.39.19 (Small).jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 2
I use a yaesu 857d with an end find long wire and 9:1 unun box strung through the attic (about 35 feet up). I use it at 100 watts, and have talked all over europe, south america, and some other places. I use a lot of digital modes too.

In the van, I have a yaesu 2900 for FM on repeaters. Out in the field, I've used a yaesu 817nd with the same type of antenna as the 857d, as well as a magnetic loop. Lately, I just purchased an MCHF sdr radio, and have used that with a homemade linked dipole that works at 20, 30, and 40 meters. I love it. Awesome radio, awesome antenna. I talked to germany on 10 watts about 2 weeks ago and got an s7 report.

I love ham radio and am glad to see some hams on this forum.

de w4cka btu :)

DangerBird said:
QRZ?  De N5AQM!

Either of you guys planning on being at the RTR this coming Jan? Was there last year and am planning on being there again this winter. Also will be in Lake Havasu Az. in 2 weeks for the van build out get together. We live in the phoenix metro area for the past 33 years and recently retired.

:)

-Mike

I assume RTR is some kind of a get together? Unfortunately I'm in South Carolina. I used to live in Phoenix. Loved everything there except the heat. I could never get used to the heat. Cold does not bother me. Too much Russian blood in me, I guess. LOL.
Arizona is a 3 days drive from here. It will probably take 4-5 days with the travel trailer and my back condition. Our new 4Runner is not a very good towing vehicle.  I'd love to go there though.