Mr Buddy controls

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hausmutti

Reaction score
When using the Mr. Buddy heater in the van, can I control the amount of heat coming out somewhat or is it pretty much on or off?

It's Hi or Low. Anywhere between 40-50 degrees outside, I can run it on low all night with the roof vent open. I often wish I had a heater with a thermostat, but that's a whole other animal.

I have mine hooked up to the RV tank, after an hour of use I have found that I can't turn the heater *off* because the knob is stuck.. I emailed the mfg about it and they said it needs a new valve, but I'm wondering if the valve is getting jammed with some frozen condensate from the hose. They do have an inline filter that might solve this problem.

The Mr. Buddy Jr actually has three settings on it.

Hi, low and Pilot only.

It needs to be set at high when you first light it until the pad glows bright orange and then can be turned down to low or pilot.

I run mine on high until the van is warmed up then turn it down to low until I start shedding clothing  :D  then turn it down to pilot.

It is seriously NOT recommended that you run any of the portable propane heaters while you are sleeping. I wouldn't do it even with the roof vent open which since heat rises is a waste of good heat. Turn it off at bed-time, sleep with extra blankets, warm thermal underwear, a hoodie or a hat. In the morning I climb out of bed, turn on the heater and crawl back under the covers for 10 minutes or so until the van is warm enough for getting dressed.

The low setting on the Mr Buddy heaters isn't very efficient. The ceramic catalyst just doesn't get hot enough for a really clean burn.
That means less heat per given volume of fuel and higher emissions. If hooking up to a big tank be sure to use a regulator.

As for running them at night. Some do. I don't suggest it. Only takes one goof up to be deadly.

My favorite heating method to date is a super heavy cast iron skillet on the stove until super hot.
Then shut her down and let the thermal mass radiate that heat for a while.
Of course, I live in the desert and it doesn't get all that cold once you factor in body heat.

The Big Buddy has 3 settings plus pilot.
I have left it on ,on winter nights but only below 10*
But I'm in a class C with more interior volume and lots of ventilation.

The 10* to zero and below stuff is a little too much even with 3 sleeping bags and fully dressed including fleece jacket , hat and gloves to go without it ..........YMMV

KMAG
(I've never had the control not work so maybe a new one is going to be needed)

Gideon33w said:
The low setting on the Mr Buddy heaters isn't very efficient. The ceramic catalyst just doesn't get hot enough for a really clean burn.
That means less heat per given volume of fuel and higher emissions. If hooking up to a big tank be sure to use a regulator.

As for running them at night. Some do. I don't suggest it. Only takes one goof up to be deadly.

My favorite heating method to date is a super heavy cast iron skillet on the stove until super hot.
Then shut her down and let the thermal mass radiate that heat for a while.
Of course, I live in the desert and it doesn't get all that cold once you factor in body heat.

That's a great idea!  Might work in the van with the reflectix window coverings.  I use cast iron every day at home.

Also keep in mind that a single candle puts out 125-250 watts of heat energy.
A few cheap tea light candles burning inside an upsidedown ceramic pot makes a good heater.
Also makes a fraction of the CO and CO2 compared to burning propane.
Still need some sort of ventilation though in my opinion.

Gideon33w said:
A few cheap tea light candles burning inside an upsidedown ceramic pot makes a good heater.
Also makes a fraction of the CO and CO2 compared to burning propane.
Still need some sort of ventilation though in my opinion.

When making my reflectix window covers, I hinged one of the front ones so I can roll down the window a couple of inches for ventilation.

(1) Is there any safe way to heat a tent? Search keeps sending me to the Mr. Buddy, which I can't think would be safe. I understand the temp can be down in the 40's at night, in January in Quartzite.

(2) Is there a cheap and easy way to set up shade? I see tarps, I see poles, I see ropes, but I don't see where you can buy a complete setup without purchasing one of those canopies, too expensive for me. Don't have any idea what individual fasteners, anchors I would need to purchase, or how to go about setting one up by myself. I'm guessing the ground is pretty hard and it would probably be difficult to drive in stakes as deep as I'd like. I'm an old lady, so not very strong. Another concern is wind, I've been warned it could be pretty gusty, so would need to anchor down pretty good.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

Gideon33w said:

The calculators I found online show it at around 75-90 watts equivalent for one normal candle flame.

250 watts of heat is a LOT of heat...probably more than the average candle flame puts out.

Still, it is a fair amount of heat from something like the UCO 3-candle lanterns.

Almost There said:
The Mr. Buddy Jr actually has three settings on it.

Hi, low and Pilot only.

It needs to be set at high when you first light it until the pad glows bright orange and then can be turned down to low or pilot.

I run mine on high until the van is warmed up then turn it down to low until I start shedding clothing  :D  then turn it down to pilot.

My Portable Buddy has the same functions, maybe the same, but slightly different names? Anyway, once lit, I can feel an appreciable heat from just the pilot.
This is the one I have.  I really like it. :) 
http://www.mrheater.com/portable-buddy-heater.html

Zodi makes forced air tent heaters, they ain't cheap,

http://zodi.com/tent-heaters

candles ain't going to cut it. I always say get a sleeping bag that will keep you warm and comfy without a heater. heaters fail, if you are relying on a heater to stay alive you are making a bad bet. but using a heater to take the chill off before bed or in the morning is fine. just don't rely on it. highdesertranger

mert6706 said:
(1) Is there any safe way to heat a tent? Search keeps sending me to the Mr. Buddy, which I can't think would be safe. I understand the temp can be down in the 40's at night, in January in Quartzite.

(2) Is there a cheap and easy way to set up shade? I see tarps, I see poles, I see ropes, but I don't see where you can buy a complete setup without purchasing one of those canopies, too expensive for me. Don't have any idea what individual fasteners, anchors I would need to purchase, or how to go about setting one up by myself. I'm guessing the ground is pretty hard and it would probably be difficult to drive in stakes as deep as I'd like. I'm an old lady, so not very strong.  Another concern is wind, I've been warned it could be pretty gusty, so would need to anchor down pretty good.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

40 in the desert is not like 40 in the PNW or anywhere else on the continent for that matter. It really doesn't feel THAT cold because it's dry.

Rather than trying to find a heater that you would want to use inside a tent and having to figure out fuel needs etc. IMO you'd be better off with a good sleeping bag. Keep in mind when I say good I mean the best you can afford and don't be afraid to check out army surplus and 2nd hand stores. If you can get one rated to 0 that is more than good. Add to that microfleece thermal long johns and top ( I got mine at Marks W/W), a pair of thermal socks (same place) and a hoodie fleece sweatshirt - I like them better than just a fleece sweatshirt and a hat cause the hoodie keeps my  neck warm. I also carry a fleece liner for my sleeping bag that adds another 10 degrees or so of temp drop to the comfort level. With all of that you can adjust for all the different temps and be quite comfortable all night long by simply layering and unlayering as needed. If you're going to be sleeping on either a cot or an air mattress of any kind make sure you include some extra blankets/quilts for underneath you between you and the air so you don't suffer from CBS (Cold Butt Syndrome...lol)

If you're talking shade for the RTR, you more than likely won't need any. It IS winter and while the sun shines most days, it's not like heated summer temps in the PNW where you better be able to find shade or else.

I wouldn't worry about it but if you really think you need to have shade then 4 tent poles (I like the adjustable ones like these http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/texsport-adjustable-tent-pole-model-14092 but any poles will do in a pinch. The tarp is best gotten from K&B Tools in Quartzite when you get there as are the tent stakes...you can buy some seriously good ones there. I use a 3 lb short handled sledge hammer to make up for what I don't have in strength. A couple of hanks of paracord to tie out each corner to two separate tent stakes and you're set.

It probably varies considerably based on the candle, the material it's made out of, and number of wicks.
Point is, I can confirm that a few tea light candles can go a long way towards heating a van.

Gideon33w said:
It probably varies considerably based on the candle, the material it's made out of, and number of wicks.
Point is, I can confirm that a few tea light candles can go a long way towards heating a van.

I used to winter camp in Southern NV in a 1977 Blazer with no back seat. I had a Northern Lights candle housing with candles of course.
Trust me, it made a difference when lit. I didn't let it burn all night, but just long enough to heat the cab and see what I was doing just before slipping into my sleeping bag.
Come to think of it, I miss that Blazer too. It was a rare one that had a straight six and manual transmission.

AlmostThere has a good point. I was heating with candles but it was here in AZ.
Growing up in Buffalo NY I can confirm that wet cold is MUCH colder per degree, haha.
Don't want to get too far off topic here though. Maybe a thread on candle heating methods and thoughts?