Moab UT in October

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KoreyC

Reaction score
Anyone want to meet up in Moab Utah in early October? Weather permitting of course. Hoping for 70’s or low 80’s during the day and 50’s at night... looks like early October is the time for that kind of weather there if I’m not mistaken. I would like to camp there for a week or two and run some of the trails in my Jeep. If you don’t have a vehicle capable of running some of the trails out there then I do have an open passenger seat for one person if you’d like to ride along. Besides the off roading trails I’m just  planning on being lazy and enjoying the views, but I’m up for anything if anyone has any fun ideas for that area. Shoot me a PM if you’re interested. 

-Korey

Where were you thinking of camping. I don’t mind some atv type use, to a point.

I’m not set on any spot in particular. Last time I was in Moab there was quite a bit of open dispersed camping, but that was in 2014, so my plan was to show up on a weekday and try to find a nice spot with decent cell reception and nice views. Who knows if that’ll work out ha. I’m open to anything though if you know of any good spots out that way!!

KoreyC south west of Moab is a difficult area for cell service but jeep trails are much less traveled. You can camp at Bullfrog in Glen Canyon Rec Area and have cell service and free Wifi although slow. If it is too hot still the Henry mountains are only 20 miles out and it is aready in the 50's at night. Give me a PM if you get in the area.

Bullfrog is quite a bit quieter than Moab. I’ve explored the larger area quite a bit, and there’s lots left. Capitol Reef National Park, Escalante, and Robber’s Roost/Abbey’s Maze. Bullfrog has concession services, Escalante is best, but not as good as Moab.

I'd like to stay in that area for a little while, but I won't be able to leave southern CA until Oct 15th. I've never been offroading in a Jeep, so would like to try that.

Just north of Moab up the highway is all available boondocking. Willow Springs Rd, Klondike, etc. Huge are and even has cell signal nowadays. They all have access to the 4WD and mountain biking trails systems as well as both national parks.

Only problem I see is that Oct is a very busy month in Moab. It is actually the most ideal month to be there, so most people do go there in Oct. Although, I was there this past Oct for three weeks and it wasn't bad at all. Lots to do in the area... lots.

You all have some very great tips and info, I really appreciate that! I’ll definitely send you a PM when I get out that way Bullfrog, and thank you for the info as well! DLTooley hopefully you make it out there, sounds like you know the area pretty well too which is nice!

Van-Tramp I appreciate that info! Was it hard to find a spot that wasn’t crowded when you were there this past October? Im hoping that showing up on a week day will give me an edge on some of the better spots, hopefully.

Angelack thats not too late, come on out and we can definitely go trail riding. There’s so much around there that I could probably stay in that general vicinity for all of October with one camp site move, which I most likely will do. Im headed to Lake Havasu in the beginning of November, so it works perfect for me if I can pull that off.

It will be crowded in all the normal areas but there is tons of space you can find some space if you look around. Further north from Moab will have less crowding

Definitely lots to do. I came out here for a weekend 13 years ago and still haven't done all I want to!

I was going to head there a tad bit early, but I found out that there is a limit of 14 days within 30 days apparently. I was hoping I could move 20 something miles after 14 days and be okay, but I guess not. Oh well the 14 days will be nice at least. But you guys are right, there is so much to do that 14 days wont feel like near enough.

Last time I was there (2 years ago) there was a map available at the information centers that showed where dispersed camping is allowed around Moab.

Those 14 day limits are per jurisdiction. Willow Springs is on State Trust land and does not count. Not sure about the details of the 14 day rule, but moving a certain distance should do it. Moab has strict regs, including the required use of portable toilets in most areas. The biggest problem for me is no clearly defined boundaries as to where the rules end.

The Moab Folk Festival is the first weekend in November. I have never been but I know folks who like it very much. It is a good size, not too big, not too small.

My schedule isn't nailed down, but I'd definitely also like to do Bullfrog sometime. Maybe around the 15th of October this year, but its a bit tight.

https://www.moabfolkfestival.com/

It is usually warm enough for us until mid December although done with swimming by 1st of November. It can go below freezing at night by mid November which means a sweat shirt and a light jacket during the day. December is not bad when the wind does't blow, it usually does though! Right now the Henry Mountains temps are 40/50 at night in the upper elevations. Other than the hunters near perfect and only an hour or so away from the park. BLM land is 10 minutes from the lodge in the park but still in the 90's during the day and 70's at night at 4500' elevations where we are. Mid October should be good, Tooley PM me if you get this way and I'll share some secrets. Moab is about 2 1/2 hours away via the interstate which is the quickest, but best to take a few days and do Blanding to Hite.

FYI. Many years ago, I drove down the east side of the Henry Mtns to Bullfrog, and then drove up the west side on the Burr Trail for 60-miles on an unpaved, badly wash-boarded road. That road was one of my least-happy experiences.

Moab and Island in the Sky are two of my all-time favorite places. Coming down Pucker Pass road is fun, if you have 4WD, but watch out for the tunnel. That sandstone slab was not there the first few times I did that road, so geology is still active.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pucker+pass+road&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X
Even though I had 4WD, I never tried the White Rim, but people do it.

Bullfrog to Boulder/Escalante via the Burr Road is an incredible route.

It was five years ago or so I did it last and it was well maintained then.

DLTooley said:
Bullfrog to Boulder/Escalante via the Burr Road is an incredible route.

It was five years ago or so I did it last and it was well maintained then.
Did they pave it?

Latest posts