Methuselah Remodel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AMGS3 said:
I hope everything goes smoothly with your upcoming surgeries. I'm sending happy healing thoughts your way.
~angie

Thanks Angie.  I'm just glad it's not something more serious. Funny, even the doctor said she hoped it was cataracts before she examined me.  Cataract surgery is over in about 10 or 15 minutes.  That will be a piece of cake next to the stuff I went thru years ago.   :cool:

max+sophia said:
If someone here is familiar with the 1987 Ford Econoline 250 (Discoverer Motor Home) would you let me know if there is room underneath to mount a pull down or slide out step?

I think I found steps tht would work with any van <a href="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=11WZXDQG800HXHENJA86"> <b>HERE</b></a>

One could be for the house entry and the other for the driver's door.

I also found filter cups to use inside the Keurig reusable filters <a href="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079ZJ1H3P/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B079ZJ1H3P"><b> HERE</b></a>  A few pennies each but IMO worth not needing to rinse the filter.  There are flat filters that are cheaper, but if you have a permanent filter that fits, these are great.

Yes, I haven't stopped the brain from thinking about readiness and needs for a rig.  Also, even 'tho I won't actively look for another until after the operations, I'll keep the name Greybeard

Attachments

• COFFEE gand grine w cone_.jpg
    COFFEE gand grine w cone_.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 6
closeanuf said:
Have you heard from the owners yet?

No, so I have to assume either he plans to keep the van, or phoned another interested person, and sold it.  I don't have his contact information, or I could call and close the book on this particular unit.

I* saw so many unique possibilities with this 1987 van, and the fact it won't be fried when we're hit with an EMP was a plus.  But.... perhaps I'll find one with a shower. :)

coffee grinder w wheel $39.jpgOXO drip gizmo.jpg
I made the move, and ordered coffee beans, and this <a href="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ENK41Q6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"><b>OXO Pour Over Coffee Dripper</b></a> with Auto-Drip Water Tank   It has a cover to keep the water hot as it's steeping.  The plain cones are just open.  Also, this engineering to keep the water in touch with the coffee, seems superior.

The wooden coffee grinder I will order eventually.  It could be stuck to the counter in a rig, and not need to be put away all the time.  Especially important if one drinks a lot of coffee.

Attachments

• OXO drip gizmo.jpg
    OXO drip gizmo.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 2
  • coffee grinder w wheel $39.jpg
    coffee grinder w wheel $39.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 2
I just received my OXO pour over coffee gizmo, and whole bean coffee.  Later this evening, I'll make a cup to see how it goes.  So cool, the water tank controls the water flow for better brew.

I also received the personal "Wee Jug"  whiuch I will try tomorrow if it's cool enough for Sophia and me to take lunch by the lake. : :exclamation:

Like my new avatar?  That's how close Sophia are a lot of the time. :rolleyes:

Hi again Max,
I just found this message you sent. I finally was able to get into my trailer and check it out. Unfortunately, it's in worse condition than I thought. And I got really sick, for a few days, after I had been in there. The ceiling vents had been left open so it's probably all full of mold. I'll have to sell it to someone who can just gut the insulation, etc. It still has good bones and the cupboards are in good shape. I really love the way it's set up... lots of storage and a nice bathroom. But I am too allergic to mold. So I would be better off remodeling one of those plain box vans that don't have anywhere for mold to hide.
I like the new name you chose! I'll have to wait until I find my vehicle before I get a name for it.
Keep up the good work!
Talk soon,
Tina
max+sophia said:
In answer to GrammyTina who asked if she should trade her trashed camper in for a van.

Tina, I originally thought of towing a small camper with my Ford Escape, but it has a very low towing rate.  Then I found Methuselah.  He has everything except a shower, which I'm working on.  I was going to trade the Escape (named RUDY)  in, but was offered a VERY low amount, and also thought I needed a backup vehicle until Methuselah proved himself.

I think I need a simpler name of the old guy, that's 4 syllables, way beyond what my brain likes to deal with.  :idea: So I have a two syllable name I may use eventually, STRIDER.  It's from JRR Tolkien's work.

Anyway, I like the idea of being able to scoot if something comes up, and not have to get out to reach my tow vehicle.  As a woman alone, you may want to think about that.

<a href="https://koa.com/blog/7-koa-campgrounds-that-host-karaoke-nights/">KOA offers Karaoke</a>

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

And possibly some of those pop in/out screens?
max+sophia said:
I wasn't able to edit the last post, I took too long finding a photo.

I've rethought the frosted glass idea, and figger clear would be good when the rear doors are open to a view and I don;t want to open the windows..  Also it would be a pair of windows that can be opened for ventilation and escape

The set would be slightly boxed to give an area for drinks, snacks books.  Perhaps shelving on each side for books etc., which would barely be visible from the forward living area.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

GrammyTina said:
Hi again Max,  It still has good bones and the cupboards are in good shape. I really love the way it's set up... lots of storage and a nice bathroom. But I am too allergic to mold.

Tina, Can you salvage things like the cupboards and fixtures?  It may not sell for much, so salvage may get you at least some benefit for your future build.

Glad you like the name Greybeard.  I connected with that name, and will continue to use it no matter what I end up with.  I'm even working on a web page called <b><i>Greybeard Pantry</b></i> to list the easy prep, long shelf life foods I've researched.  Later. :sleepy:

Work on Ruby so far.... I already put a cot in her, with memory foam mattress.  (Shortened, of course)  I removed all but the driver's seat.  Now I need to decide if I should put a small table where the passenger seat was, or a chair facing the rear.  The table would be nice for coffee makings and food prep, but it will be hard not having a chair facing the back living area, small as it is.

PS Ruby is an ESCAPE sorry

RUBY pass visors.jpg  This is what Ruby looks like, except she doesn't have window visors.

A good thing because I have a solar window fan to help keep Sophia comfy.  When I get the camera figured out  I'll take pics showing the placement of the cot, and table where passenger's seat was.

I have to figure out where I want to cut a 2 inch hole in Ruby, for placement of the AC plug, shown in a recent post.  I also removed the Hassock Toilette, too big and unstable.  Will use rest stops for solids, and my new Wee Jug for liquids (pictured a few posts up). For emergencies, I do have wag bags and gell.

I have a coffee mug that heats by cig plug, for the rare times when I won't have shore power.  For coffee making with AC, I will get the double walled glass water pot from Amazon, and use my new drip-style coffee gizmo, pictured previously.  I have filters that get thrown out with the trash.  No messy grouds to clean out of the filter.  Just use paper towels to wipe out drip gizmo and coffee cup.

Under the cot there is 14 inches where I have plastic totes for food and clothing.  I will start out with only non-refrigerated foods and drinks, which I have been working with here at home.

Attachments

• RUBY pass visors.jpg
    RUBY pass visors.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 4
BATT 40615.jpg  Lucky Ruby... See what I found in the Depot (My Garage/Shop that looks like a Train Station)

R Brown has several videos on my <a hred=""><b>Harbor Freight 40615 Battery Pack</b></a>.  He adds features to his 16 year old unit, plus new battery.

If I get brave enough, I'd like to add features also, that would be useful in Ruby.  First will be changing to LED bulb.  I don't have equipment for testing my unit, but perhaps I'll ask my mechanic or run into someone who has equipment.  My light is bright, so I know there's a decent amount of power there.

Attachments

• BATT 40615.jpg
    BATT 40615.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 57
Received my Uber Cheap <a href="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071Y7DDCX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"><b> [img=509x489]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71D2aX-2uXL._SL1500_.jpg[/img]

ANCEL BST100 12 Volt Digital Car Battery Tester Vehicle Alternator Condition and Charging System Analyzer</b></a>

Will test tomorrow because I just removed the trickle charger, and need a helper.

NOTE: Want LED headlights? Read about legalese at <a href="http://betterautomotivelighting.com/2013/04/20/are-led-headlights-legal/"><b>Better Automotive Lighting</b></a> FIRST
<a href="https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=LED+headlight+kit"><b>Amazon Kits</b></a>

HEAT catalitic_.jpg<a href="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BUV1RK/ref=twister_B009P92SLQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1"><b>Olympian Wave 3 LP Portable Gas Catalytic Heater</b></a> or smaller for Ruby.

Problem is there's no safe place for an LP tank <b>INSIDE</b> :s
(Having LP though, would mean I could have a single LP burner for cooking. :D  WAIT... I could even have a small cooler)

The only <b>OUTSIDE</b> location for LP I can figger, is in back.  That would mean I could not open the rear hatch.  Do I really need to open it? Seems so with the tire under the floor.  Wait... I should remove the tire and have an LP tank with exterior filler hose, where the spare is.  I would never change my own tire since I have road service.  Perhaps tire could be attached to the roof rack.  Feasible?

Speaking of the rear door. I considereed using my hitch carrier to mount a storage box. Meaning hatch is blocked.  I even considered using my 7cf camo freezer as the box. Paid $299 at Lowes. Would a big strong container be any cheaper?  I'd cover the vent to keep the motor safe.

Attachments

• HEAT catalitic_.jpg
    HEAT catalitic_.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 2
  • FREEZER CAMO.jpg
    FREEZER CAMO.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 2
I need a power system in the SUV to run a electric water kettle, and my boiler when power goes down,  I'm waiting to hear from my HVAC man as to how much power I need.  Of course a smaller amount would be needed if I fired up the wood-coal furnace, because only the water pump would need power. I think :blush: 

So here is a system that can  recharge its battery with AC, SOLAR, or CAR.
BATT GEB SYS $255 714hnPxnGHL._SL1001_.jpg
.https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074P162XQ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B074P162XQ
Still needs proper solar panel.  I am assuming this system has all that is needed, nothing between solar panel and unit.
Hey, it comes in camo, so I don't have to look at it. ::)

Smaller system / https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07216H7X8/ref...il_4?psc=1
Just battery   /  https://www.amazon.com/EarthX-ETX12A-Man...o4+battery

What do you think?

Attachments

• BATT GEB SYS $255 714hnPxnGHL._SL1001_.jpg
    BATT GEB SYS $255 714hnPxnGHL._SL1001_.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 7
Could this be the replacement for Greybeard?
1989 with just 33k miles.  Econoline 350
Wonder what that white surface on the roof is made of, and the gizmo in the center??
Should I go this large?  Well, if I can't heat the house, I can take off in "REX." :D

Attachments

• REX 1 drivers side.jpg
    REX 1 drivers side.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 5
  • REX 2 awning side.jpg
    REX 2 awning side.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 2
  • REX 3 cab +instruments 33k.jpg
    REX 3 cab +instruments 33k.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 4
  • REX 4 couch toward cab.jpg
    REX 4 couch toward cab.jpg