Methuselah Remodel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
highdesertranger said:
a ceiling fan needs a ceiling fan mount.  can you get the installation instructions for the fan.  they should tell you what type of mounting you need.   highdesertranger
I'm waiting for a reply to my query about mounting the fan, from the sales page question area.  I'd also need some kind of onoff switch

Have you ever heard of this about the Discoverer 25 motor homes in the 70s? From a post "Googled the Discoverer, incredibly it had a Dodge truck chassis, yet was designed for fuel economy. Strange engineering- it had a pump from the holding tank to the exhaust to incinerate sewage?"

Sounds lie the modern-day incinerator toilets.  Friends of ours had a gas-powered one, and it worked great.

Oh, do you know where I might find a floor plan or brochure of Methuselah? 1987 Ford Econoline 250 motorhome Discoverer

While searching with DuckDuckGo.com for a floor plan or brochure on Methuselah, I found this <a href="">VIDEO</a>.  This 1987 motor home is a different build, with similarities to Methuselah's.  It has a TUB, microwave, and ROOF AIR, :mad: mine does not have.  Interesting nonetheless.

So.. for lunch today I chose the Indian Mushroom Marsala from my travel experiment pantry.  It has mushrooms, potato squares, a fair amount of gravy for sopping up with a side of bread, and Indian spices (which include the healthful turmeric). Bought for ease in heating, and a flat plastic pouch for miniscule (not in CRVL vocabulary) recycling.  The meal can be heated in the microwave, pouch opens with a tear, or in a pan of hot water.  Either way, no dirty pot.

Another way to take advantage of the pouch system, instead of running water down the drain to rinse for recycling, put a small amount of hot water in the pouch + slosh, then pour onto animal's dry food.   :heart:  You could then let the 4 legged "child" attempt to clean the pouch out completely.  Keep an eye on the process for safety.

BTW, for dessert I had a piece of my daughter's banana bread slathered with whipped butter, and coffee.  Yummm. (note: If you really want to save on washup, you could eat right out of the pouch. It has a gusseted bottom so you can stand it up)

Lemon Tree.jpg
Seeing that there are Grow LED bulbs available, I rethought placing a sculpture on the file cabinet next to the desk. A small food-producing tree/bush/plant would be more practical.  <a href="http://survivalinstitute.com/blueberries-in-your-garden/">BLUEBERRY BUSHES</a> can be pruned to make them manageable in size.

Actually, the <href="https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/Meyer-Lemon-Tree.htm">Meyers Lemon Tree</a> which I have, would fit there.  It has produced many delicious lemons for me. In a rig, it might be wise to place plastic on top of the soil, to keep moisture only on the plant

Attachments

• Lemon Tree.jpg
    Lemon Tree.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 2
Came across this video today of 2 men building a cabin using free pallet wood.  Rustic yes, inventive yes, and the wood stove/oven is interesting.

I read once that observing invention, processes, etc, serves one in solving future, even unrelated, problems.  In other words, Necessity may be the mother of SOME invention, but observing and understanding invention is the father.

Having brought up children who observed my spouse's genius, (a world-class artist, sculptor, designer) it is undeniable that they didn't just inherit those genes, but absorbed information through immersion in creativity.  Even I may have absorbed needed information, though it would be nice to think I may have a little innate genius in myself.  :blush:

So <a href=""><b>HERE IT IS</b></a>
Get a snack and enjoy.  It's just over 1 hour long.

max+sophia said:
Well, I got a tiny taste of what it will be like when the US power grid goes down permanently.  The power was off for 7 hours....    If the power goes down then, Sophia and I will head south, and leave the tenant to deal with the house. He's a self-sufficient prepper, cuts wood  buys survival food....

This is something I'm beginning to take into account while I'm in the planning stages of van life.  I'm not a prepper by any means.  I don't have any dehydrated food supplies or even a bug out bag.  However, you'd have to have your head in the sand these days to not seriously consider a prepper's ways if you're looking to live full-time in a vehicle.  It's just smart when it comes to emergency supplies, build out your van, or even when considering which vehicle you might consider buying in the first place.

I'll be interested in searching this site for others who have had this line of thinking, too.  I don't intend to become a prepper, but I can see the wisdom in considering some of their ways.

Jack said:
"... you'd have to have your head in the sand these days to not seriously consider a prepper's ways.."

Yes, and whether nomads know it or not, they ARE prepping.  Prepping to make their OWN subsistence possible without the electric grid and man's contraptions.

In the end, those who seek an independent life, on the road or docked somewhere. are happy with a more simple life.

Thinking of this reminded me of the song <a href=""><b>Simple Man - by Lynyrd Skynyrd</b></a> (Applies to both men and women)

It would be nice if I could get a camera to film the work on Greybeard when it starts.

I have an inactive channel titled MAX Z, where I managed to create a slide show of
<a href=""><b><i>SOPHIA</b></i></a>

EGG steamer 360w.jpg
I just had to enter my fabulous find here, a <a href="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BKPBSFL/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1"><b>HOMELEADER</b></a> Egg cooker steamer using just 360 WATTS :exclamation:  This unit would eliminate the need to dirty a fry pan, at least for breakfast.  I wonder... could the Greybeard MRIs be put in a dish on top, and heat as the eggs are cooking? Musing out loud. :rolleyes:

Now why can't an electric kettle use less than 1500 watts?  I did find one that uses 800 watts, the <a href="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DLRN11G/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1"> SULIKO</a>, 'tho I like the glass double wall one better,to keep the water hot.

Today's choice from the <b><i>Greybeard MRE Pantry</b></i>... Apricot jam on rye, then 1/2 packet of Lemon Pepper Salmon, wild caught.  I may dedicate a page for this pantry on my MAX Z utube channel that will eventually feature the star SOPHIA, and the Reno of Greybeard, to act as an inventory list.

Attachments

• EGG steamer 360w.jpg
    EGG steamer 360w.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 1
tea bags.jpg<a href="https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0784BTT1...&pd_rd_r=a4c4b758-a877-11e8-b96a-75051c3f57a5"><b>Greybeard Coffee Bags</b></a>
I came to a HUGE decision today.  Keurig machine too big, Keurig machine needs cleaning, pods too expensive, pod supply too space consuming, pods take up trash room

So, I plan to experiment with these empty bags,  I will buy coffee beans again (will stay fresher than ground in the rig), fill the bags, and (for now) place one in the machine.  If I find this to be cheaper and less bulky than pods, I will purchase a one cup maker for Greybeard. <a href="https://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Bea...210444&sr=8-3&keywords=1+cup+pod+coffee+maker"><b>Perhaps this one</b></a>

Oh no, a new discovery. waayy cheaper than empty bags. <a href="https://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-Aero...D=51NqzB8hEJL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail"><b>Filters -  pennies each</b></a>

<u><b>It never ends. Still, discovery is fun and rewarding</u></b>

Attachments

• tea bags.jpg
    tea bags.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 1
Roof with skylight.jpg#3d front.jpg#2 drivers 3.4 view.jpg

I asked the best moderator in the world to remove photos of Greybeard that showed the current owner's license plate.  So here are a couple of replacements.   :D

Attachments

• #2 drivers 3.4 view.jpg
    #2 drivers 3.4 view.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 3
  • #3d front.jpg
    #3d front.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Roof with skylight.jpg
    Roof with skylight.jpg
    446.3 KB · Views: 2
Hi Max!
I just found your thread and read it all at once. It's been very interesting. I myself am a 1978 edition, though as far as I know no one's ever referred to me as Methuselah. Lol.

So I just wanted to share how I've been making coffee since I downsized prior to moving into the fishhouse. I got rid of my 12 cup coffee maker. It was too big and my kitchen is tiny, so there wasn't enough counter space for it anyways. Actually, yes, if I'd thought it was important enough I could have used up literally half of my counter space for just the coffee machine. But it wasn't, so I didn't. At first I figured I'd just use a saucepan and make cowboy coffee like I used to when I was a teen on camping trips. But I found a better way that uses no energy.

How I make coffee now is by cold brewing it. I have two wide mouth half gallon Mason jars with the two piece lids and a reusable coffee filter (the metal screen kind). These jars cost me $2 each at walmart. The reusable filter was $3. I put three quarters of a cup of ground coffee in one jar and add six cups of room temp water. (The volume ratio is 1 part coffee to 8 parts water) Put the lid and ring on the jar so it's sealed well and give it a good shake to wet the grounds. Then leave it for 24 hours. You can put it in your fridge or cooler, which I do sometimes, but half the time I just leave it out at room temp. Just don't set it in the sun.

The next day (24 hours later) the grounds are probably going to be floating. Shake it up again. Place the reusable filter over the other jar and slowly pour the coffee through the filter into the jar. You may have to do this slowly pouring several times. Usually once all the coffee is poured out of the first jar I just let the grounds drain for half an hour or so.

Once it's all drained into the second jar I store that in my cooler/fridge. In the summer I drink this cold, but in the winter I warm it in a saucepan and add hot cocoa. Yum.

So, depending on how much coffee you drink you could do this with quart jars, if you were interested. Also, I like my coffee pretty dark, so most recipes for cold brew will recommend mixing the brew half and half with water. I don't do that myself.

Cheers,
~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

AMGS3 said:
Hi Max!
I just wanted to share how I've been making coffee since I downsized prior to moving into the fishhouse. I got rid of my 12 cup coffee maker....
Hi Angie, You're a brave one to read all my mental output in one sitting. :huh:   Thanks for the wonderful reply. Compare 1987 Greybeard (formerly known as Methuselah) with you? No way. :)

Our coffee making methods compared:

Angie Coffee-
Water + coffee in jar, shake.
Wait  8 hours.
Pour coffee with grounds over reusable filter.
Heat in a pan (ugg)
Enjoy the fleeting moment of pleasure as you drink your brew
Now, Clean the filter, clean the pan, clean the jar.   Whew

Greybeard Coffee
Grind coffee beans and place in throwaway filter in tiny machine
Place the proper amount of water in machine + start the brewing
(Sit back and enjoy the uplifting aroma as you wait.
Drink the coffee in the cup it was brewed in
Wipe cup out with a tissue, and yer dun.
(If not hooked up to shore power, revert to Angie's method. I do have a coffee press)

Did I get your processes right Ang?

<i>Up next is which spray is best, Bear or Regular pepper spray</i>

BEAR polar.jpg  <b> I love polar bears</b>

<a href="https://www.selfdefenseninja.com/what-is-the-best-pepper-spray/">What Is The Best Pepper Spray?</a>
SPRAY mace-best-pepper-gun.jpg  Mace Spray Gun 20 foot capacity
SPRAY 10ft jogger strap.jpg  Pepper Spray with Jogger Strap 10 ft capacity

Just a note here, that these <a href="https://www.selfdefenseninja.com/review-sabre-red-police-strength-compact-spray/"><b>pepper sprays contain a much higher percentage</b></a> of the active ingredient, than bear spray does.  So why not have regular spray handy for Man or Beast?

Attachments

• BEAR polar.jpg
    BEAR polar.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1
  • SPRAY mace-best-pepper-gun.jpg
    SPRAY mace-best-pepper-gun.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 20
  • SPRAY 10ft jogger strap.jpg
    SPRAY 10ft jogger strap.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 20
^^^^^ Max

Yup that's pretty much the method. Except I let it brew for a full day (24 hours). And you give me too much credit about the cleaning. I usually start another jar and just rinse out the filter, etc. And I'm one of "those people" who, when I'm just drinking black coffee, don't wash the cup for a week or two. I just keep reusing it.

The downside to this method is that you have to plan ahead and set up the coffee a full day before you want to drink it. Thats a pain. The upside is it's the smoothest darkest cup of coffee I've ever made at home. And it takes no power or fuel to make.

In your original post it says Greybeard is a 1978, but in the following post it says 1987. Maybe you can get that changed so if someone is looking for the floorplan they will not be looking for the wrong date?

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

AMGS3 said:
^^^^^ Max
I just keep reusing it. :blush:  I do the same.
In your original post it says Greybeard is a 1978
Thank you for noticing the discrepancy in Greybeard's birth date.
I'll get Mike to fix it.
:D