Methuselah Remodel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about in place of the wobbly passenger's chair, I replace it with this <a href="https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-A...865784?hash=item3fa6c4f6f8:g:24oAAOSwnKdbX7hN"> Gaming Chair</a>?

It could soften the disappointment of giving up the Shoji screen door between the Living area and rear areas, in favor of a more practical door with storage built in.. I suppose I could attach a Shoji screen to the door, which would only be seen when the toilet nook is being used, or perhaps in winter to isolate heat.

Attachments

• Gaming Chair GREAT.jpg
    Gaming Chair GREAT.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 5
SOPHIA YorkiePoo w SON.JPG
Cammalu said:
What a cute little doggie!
Thanks, Sophia is a treasure.  Never had such an attentive dog.  She anticipates my every move.  She has recently learned to point with her right foot when she wants a treat or beggin strip.  :huh:

I allow one of two types of treat per day, and when she comes pointing a 3rd time, I tell her "no mas" and she goes away,  She's 1/2 french (poodle) so I should probably have taught her in her native tongue.  That would be "Pas plus" for no more. :exclamation: 

One less than ladylike thing about Sophia aka "likker lips" is that she likes to clean my feet when I come back indoors after walking through wet grass :s

Attached pic is of oldest son holding Sophia as a 2 pound pup.

Attachments

• SOPHIA YorkiePoo w SON.JPG
    SOPHIA YorkiePoo w SON.JPG
    688.5 KB · Views: 3
WATER in hand.jpg
Since I'll probably keep my house, even after my "bugout bag on wheels" aka Methuselah is fully outfitted, I need to prepare for the permanent loss of electricity.  My tenant has 3 young children, so their preservation is on my mind. I'd sell, but think the rent is important, until, of course, the dreaded hit comes.

Mainly I need to figure out how to access water from my VERY PURE deep well.  The information in <a href="https://www.offthegridnews.com/how-to-2/how-to-get-well-water-without-electricity/">Living Off The Grid</a> is a start.

This is the home page of <a href="https://morningchores.com/living-off-the-grid/">MORNING CHORES</a> with many links to self-sufficiency articles.

Attachments

• WATER in hand.jpg
    WATER in hand.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 4
max+sophia said:
I allow one of two types of treat per day, and when she comes pointing a 3rd time, I tell her "no mas" and she goes away,  She's 1/2 french (poodle) so I should probably have taught her in her native tongue.  That would be "Pas plus" for no more. :exclamation: 

not advocating spoiling Sophia, but my puppers have almost unlimited treats because the only treat they get is sliced carrot (think"discs")..you would think it was the greatest thing in the world the way they clamor for them...then i don't feel guilty overfeeding them other treats and they are lean doggos, no fat on 'em!

SOPHIA Sophia phone abt 3LB 3.JPG
tav-2020 said:
not advocating spoiling Sophia, but my puppers have almost unlimited treats because the only treat they get is sliced carrot (think"discs
Do you have pics of your pups tav?

I wonder if a 5 pound dog like Sophia, would remain healthy on unlimited veggies, being a carnivore.  The food she gets has no grain, just nutrition, salmon, beef, etc,

Attachments

• SOPHIA Sophia phone abt 3LB 3.JPG
    SOPHIA Sophia phone abt 3LB 3.JPG
    649.5 KB · Views: 5
max+sophia said:
Do you have pics of your pups tav?

I wonder if a 5 pound dog like Sophia, would remain healthy on unlimited veggies, being a carnivore.  The food she gets has no grain, just nutrition, salmon, beef, etc,

my profile pic is Soren & Frazz, austrailian shepherds -- brothers form same litter, they have never been apart. they get a meat-based kibble for their regular meals and anytime i have roasted chicken or lean meat scraps they get that...and cheese.  but snacks & treats are always carrots
we can PM more about dogs in general if you like -- don't want to hijack your build thread

puppers.jpg

Attachments

• puppers.jpg
    puppers.jpg
    843 KB · Views: 6
TOILET Privy 501 PUTT.jpg
tav-2020 said:
"we can PM more about dogs in general if you like -- don't want to hijack your build thread"

Actually, I like to have all my correspondence on one thread.  Gives continuity to convos. :D

Right now I'm searching for a gizmo similar to the attached pic, or a large funnel to build it with.  I'm thinking letting liquids into the black water tank is silly, when a jug emptied at the next rest stop will do.  I have no intention of saving up #2, will use nearby facilities. :blush:

Attachments

• TOILET Privy 501 PUTT.jpg
    TOILET Privy 501 PUTT.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 5
TOILET Matrix funnel self-contained.jpg
Have I found something new for a toilet?

<a href="https://www.amazon.com/Matrix-Conce..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=T7FB9GPK6AMSDGNEEKMC">Amazon</a>  My favorite.

<a href="https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-FloT..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=YPGF0XHJZZY5AHVWED39">Hopkins</a> This comes in a 58 quart size!!!

A wood cabinet could be made, allowing for a non-splash height mounting.  Perhaps just put it under an antique commode.

Seems an advantage to capturing liquids into a jug.  Jug is a part of the unit.

AM I WRONG?

For me  it could mean turning Methuselah's toilet cubby into a shower, where this unit could be placed when the shower is not used.  I just may have my shower, and toilet too. Antoinette?

Addendum. On the 2nd listing, customers said ot was flimsy. I think I'd purchase locally so it could easily be returned if ity ;eaked

Attachments

• TOILET Matrix funnel self-contained.jpg
    TOILET Matrix funnel self-contained.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 3
Re my desire for Methuselah to contain a shower, here's a kind of <a href="">humorous shower build in a sprinter</a>.  They even have a wood stove.

To visualize the "storage door" I plan for the toilet/or shower nook" this one at 18:26 in <a href="">Bob Wells' video</a> shows the idea.  This Solo Woman has a beautiful, NEAT home.

Cammalu said:
I want all the doggies!

Well, If your current companions are friendly to tiny critters like Sophia, perhaps you would make a good godmother.  She will outlive me, perhaps for many years. :D

We have a cat that doesn’t bother anyone including dogs so no problem. If you come to the Quartzsite area this winter give me a shout. We will be camping at La Posa South LTVA most of the winter in the YARC Camp. Nice dogs run free

Rundown on a shower for Methuselah, soon to be christened "GREYBEARD."

Sadly, I can't download Wander Woman's shower, as it's part of a slide show.  So <a href="https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=R2p3eXFmOExnVmM1OVpyYVQ1TElOaXIzZjhidGtR"> LOOK HERE</a> for the photo showing the very unobtrusive clear shower curtain at the rear of her van.

So to expand on her wonderful idea, I found a <a href="https://www.amazon.com/Behlen-Count...9&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=stock+tank+pool&psc=1">STOCK TANK</a> 38 Gallons. 44-3/4"L 47-1/4".L: 23-1/4" to 25-3/4"W x 12"H $104.55.  Perhaps a more suitable size could be found, with a garden hose outlet (or one with material that would allow installation of a drain,  allowing it to be drained into a dump facility. BATH stock tank 44in.jpg

This <a href="https://www.amazon.com/Behrens-3-OV..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=WCHNTJ5J54H969FPMRXR"> STEEL TUB</a> might be a better choice with sloped sides for bathing comfort. 42 x 23 x 11 <b>$32.42</b> BATH Steel Tub.jpg

There are also many available inflatable tubs, which could be used outside, and deflated after using.

<a href="https://www.amazon.com/Tuff-Stuff-P..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=5TGMJCQQ8B110PP7JTBM">TUFF STUFF</a>40 x 27 x 13 in 16 lbs $74. BATH Tuff Stuff.jpg

Und so, to continue :shy: The tub could be used as a shower, or a soaking tub. :heart: .  It could also be used for laundry, using the primitive gizmo pictured below.  The kids could cool off on a hot day, and get clean at the same time.  If one chose a rugged tub, even pets could be bathed in it  Come to think iof it, the thing could be stored on top of a rig until needed. BATH EasyGo Laundry.jpg

<a href="http://nymag.com/strategist/article/what-are-stock-tank-pools-and-how-do-i-make-one.html">Why are stock pools suddenly a thing</a>

Yep, I'm craaazy, but I come by it honestly, I have ancestors who were <a href=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berserker">"BESERKERS</a>

Attachments

• BATH stock tank 44in.jpg
    BATH stock tank 44in.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 3
  • BATH Steel Tub.jpg
    BATH Steel Tub.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 3
  • BATH Tuff Stuff.jpg
    BATH Tuff Stuff.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 3
  • BATH EasyGo Laundry.jpg
    BATH EasyGo Laundry.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 58
BATH $30 solar ADVANCED 5gal BEST SELLER.jpg
Now for the water required for the shower.  I'm listing just <a href="https://www.amazon.com/ADVANCED-ELE...ims&pf_rd_t=40701&refRID=NQRWZB281S6QK5GMJSGT">Amazon;s Best Seller</a>, figuring it's probably good quality.

This could be hung above the toilet when not used for showering, providing a bidet for m'lady. ;)
There are shower head holder poles available, with expanding feet, or hang from a tree or roof rack.

That's it for a while, I'm starving.  I think the next subject will be the apparent lean toward an oriental interior.

Attachments

• BATH $30 solar ADVANCED 5gal BEST SELLER.jpg
    BATH $30 solar ADVANCED 5gal BEST SELLER.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 3
Cabinet $75 8.5 x 24 x 20.5 in_.jpg CABINET
One each side above the cab with Shoji screen in center to access entire bunk area,
carpe diem 18x18.jpg PILLOW to toss on bed that will have a window to close off rear cargo area where batteries and gizmos go.
LAMP cherry bonsai 16in timer_.jpg Cherry Tree light to go in front of bedroom window, on sill :rolleyes:
Perhaps the rig should be named "The Orient Express"

12 in LAMP oriental paper, solar. Will have others, in various sizes to cover ugly ceiling lights where appropriate.

Have not decided yet, but if I remove the couch, I'll put my desk there. It is 5 1/2 ft W x 21in D, and the height will allow the entire window to show. :)   There will be bonus space next to the desk because it;s shorter in length than the huge redundant sofa. It would at lease give room for my current stainless step-on trash can.
My fire safe will fit in the desk cubbyhole, with a board in front to hide it.

If it wouldn't be such a hassle, I'd have the kitchen cabinets lowered to the height of the door window.

Attachments

• carpe diem 18x18.jpg
    carpe diem 18x18.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Cabinet $75 8.5 x 24 x 20.5 in_.jpg
    Cabinet $75 8.5 x 24 x 20.5 in_.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 2
  • LAMP cherry bonsai 16in timer_.jpg
    LAMP cherry bonsai 16in timer_.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 3
  • LAMP japanese beige  shade only 14.95 12.jpg
    LAMP japanese beige shade only 14.95 12.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 4
My mind keeps coming back to the cab-over windows that need to be insulated or eliminated.
It looks like moisture has left marks there from the past.  My fear is that insulating them could cover up a possible lingering moisture problem I wouldn't be aware of.

What to do?  Insulate, cut in metal and eliminate them altogether... :s 

Another problem is that the driver's side window extends into the living area, overlaps the couch as the photo shows. This situation makes me lean toward total elimination of the windows, or at least the overlap one.

Any suggestions?  I have great plans for using the bunk space for extra quilts, off-season clothing, seldom used items.  The fear is that if the windows are treated in the wrong way, the items stored up there could be ruined. :(

Attachments

• cabover windows alone.jpg
    cabover windows alone.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 6
  • cabover windows outside.jpg
    cabover windows outside.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 3
Catch up on a couple of things
About a shower, I may need to pull a very small trailer to house the shower or tub, and provide extra storage

About using the extra space next to the desk after removing the couch.. better idea is 2 drawer lockable safe, bolted to the floor, with a tapestry thrown over and sculpture on top.  Trash can be under the sink.

QUESTION, Can this <a href="https://www.amazon.com/Sunlar-Ceili...&sr=1-3-spons&keywords=12v+ceiling+fan&psc=1#">ceiling fan</a> be wired into the ceiling where a current 12v light is removed? It would work over the desk, which is 2 inches deeper than the fan width. The fan is so cheap, I could have one over the bed, in back.
Ceiling fan 12v 19in .jpg

Attachments

• Ceiling fan 12v 19in .jpg
    Ceiling fan 12v 19in .jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 3
It's a good idea to plan ahead.  To ruminate on ideas before the time to carry them out arrives..

I just learned that Methuselah (soon to be Greybeard) is capable of towing my Ford Escape.  That would make all the difference in being able to head  out on the "open road."  The reason is that the van is old, and will likely need major fixes in the future.  With Ruby (2005 Ford Escape) tagging along, a breakdown necessitating leaving the rig to be worked on, parts ordered, etc, would be way less stressful.

There would be other obvious reasons having a "ride" along would be helpful, of course. as those who travel know.

So the peace of mind having an "Escape" vehicle along far outweighs the idea of a tow-along shower.

Now the question "why not sell the house and buy a decent rig?"  Well, the old adage "A bird in hand is worth two in the bush" might be applied here.  Either be thrifty, and buy with cash on hand, and keep the 2nd income (monthly rental), or become truly homeless by selling the house, and risk running through that cash too soon.  Having a fully functional home on wheells would also give the opportunity of renting out more of the house.

RE the ceiling fan. a ceiling fan needs a ceiling fan mount. can you get the installation instructions for the fan. they should tell you what type of mounting you need. highdesertranger

Latest posts