Methuselah Remodel

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've mulled it over (yumm, mulled cider season is upon us.),

I think REX would be a good insurance policy in the event I lose the house. 
The catalytic heater I had planned for Ruby would be a good emergency heater for REX w/o electric.  It could be transferred to Ruby if REX needed repairs, as I still plan to tow Ruby as a backup.

I wouldn't need to buy an electric water kettle because the gas stove will take care of hot water for pour-over coffee.  I can even pack a percolator, though that would consume more LP.  I wouldn't need an egg boiler, as I am very happy with the copper frypan I have.  It needs no washing, just paper towel wipe-out.  <cool song

Sophia needs a place fo9r her litter box.  Perhaps remove passenger seat, create a shelf for her to sit on, with box underneath.  Her dishes are small, and could be in the bathroom??

Sleeping?  I'd use the loft for storage, and sleep on the openup coucch.  If it's not comfortable, likely so, I'd put one of my memory foam mattresses on top.  Either remove it during the day, and store it in the loft, or keep the bed made up, and use as a lounge.

The weather is clearing, so in the next couple of days, I'll go and look REX over.  He is WAY better than Greybeard... 33k miles, 2 years newer, full bath, no electric wires hanging out, plus just $2k more than Greybeard.

Anyone have 2cents about this vehicle?  Tell me now. :D

max+sophia said:
I've mulled it over (yumm, mulled cider season is upon us.),

I think REX would be a good insurance policy in the event I lose the house. 
The catalytic heater I had planned for Ruby would be a good emergency heater for REX w/o electric.  It could be transferred to Ruby if REX needed repairs, as I still plan to tow Ruby as a backup.

I wouldn't need to buy an electric water kettle because the gas stove will take care of hot water for pour-over coffee.  I can even pack a percolator, though that would consume more LP.  I wouldn't need an egg boiler, as I am very happy with the copper frypan I have.  It needs no washing, just paper towel wipe-out.  <cool song

Sophia needs a place for her litter box.  Perhaps remove passenger seat, create a shelf for her to sit on, with box underneath.  Her dishes are small, and could be in the bathroom??

Sleeping?  I'd use the loft for storage, and sleep on the openup couch.  If it's not comfortable, likely so, I'd put one of my memory foam mattresses on top.  Either remove it during the day, and store it in the loft, or keep the bed made up, and use as a lounge.

The weather is clearing, so in the next couple of days, I'll go and look REX over.  He is WAY better than Greybeard... 33k miles, 2 years newer, full bath, no electric wires hanging out, plus just $2k more than Greybeard.

Anyone have 2cents about this vehicle?  Tell me now. :D

looks like a rubberized roof. that funny looking thing is a TV antenna, there should be a crank and directional pointer inside the RV. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
looks like a rubberized roof.  that funny looking thing is a TV antenna,  there should be a crank and directional pointer inside the RV

TX Mike.  Is a rubberized roof considered long-lasting?  Is it strong enough to walk on? I've been through a leaky class C roof before. So do you think the model is good?  I mean if all systems are working?  Dealer states it starts and runs well.  At that low mileage, seems it should last a while.

Max do you have a mechanic you'd trust to give you a decent opinion about this vehicle?

~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

AMGS3 said:
Max do you have a mechanic you'd trust to give you a decent opinion about this vehicle?

Hi Angie,  Yes, Ruby's mechanic is less than a mile from the dealer.
When I go to look at REX, and if I feel positive about him, I'll ask the mechanic to look him over.  If need be, I can put a small deposit down to hold the rig.  Perhaps there was a reason the Greybeart/Methuselah deal fell through. :D

BTW I've bought 2 other motor homes from same dealer. One a C the other a monstrous A

No,I didn't fo look at REX yet.  Yesterday was under the weather, today it's rainy.  When making big decisions, I like to feel my best. :D 

Meanwhile, I'm concerned about REX's roof.  I believe it was Mike, who said it appears to be rubber. 
<a href="http://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-roof-maintenance-tips-care-rubber/"> <b>THIS ARTICLE</b></a> says rubber roofs need maintenance every 3 or 4 months!!!!!!!!!!  Since I'd have to hire someone for that work, it could get expensive.

So here's what I'm wondering... can sheet aluminum be attached to the roof?  Costly yes, but perhaps cheaper than labor for maintenance over time.  What do you think?

BTW I've given up on the idea of enough solar power to run the house furnace if the power goes out.  Will have to rely on the gas fireplace logs for emergency.  Anyway, if I have a BUGGY (Bug Out On Wheels)  WHY WORRY. :cool:

Wagons Ho book.jpg

<a href="https://www.amazon.com/Wagons-Ho-George-Hallowell/dp/0807586129"></b>This book</b></a> could be a great preparation story for kids of van life families.

We see more and more lawlessness in the world.
An individual in a home or on wheels, will generally not make it.
Will van dwellers be prepared to circle the wagons against total chaos?
Since the meetups are in the desert, will there be leaders who have figured out how to make water available to the unit?

Attachments

• Wagons Ho book.jpg
    Wagons Ho book.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 5
I think basic survival skills are a requirement for this life. Just like the caravans, nothing will be provided. You could learn from someone that does know how to get water out of thin air though.

the rubber roofs need routine maintenance but it's like every 5 years not months. highdesertranger

Dealer is closed today, but I'm preparing what I need to ask when I look REX over.  In addition to my mechanic's review of all systems.  Compression?

1.  Is the curtain setup in the loft hiding any problems?
2.  What is in the pail in the tub?  Some kind of goop for maintenance?
3.  Is the roof rubber?  Is it original?  If not, when was it applied? Current condition?
4.  Any signs of current or past leaks?  Spongy floor?
other questions for me to ask???

Attachments

• REX 9 tub.jpg
    REX 9 tub.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 8
  • rex 4B LOFT CURTAINS.jpg
    rex 4B LOFT CURTAINS.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 7
B and C said:
You could learn from someone that does know how to get water out of thin air though.

Sounds like you may be one of those who knows how to get water....
If so enlighten us. ;)

highdesertranger said:
the rubber roofs need routine maintenance but it's like every 5 years not months.  highdesertranger

Hi Smart Moderator,  I thought the 2 or 3 month maintenance was nutty.  Thanks for the update.
Am I correct in thinking a rubber roof is better than regular, painting w/fiber type roofs?

I still wonder if sheet aluminum could be attached to a MH roof.

Solar Still.jpg

One of several.  Just google solar still.

Learned this in Boy Scouts way back when but it was a canvas tarp then.

Attachments

• Solar Still.jpg
    Solar Still.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 7
B and C said:
Learned this in Boy Scouts way back when but it was a canvas tarp then.

The graphic shows a very simple operation.  When you tried it in the B.S., how much pure water could be "created" and how loing did it take?  TY, I shall experiment with it.

The amount of water collected depends entirely on the amount of humidity in the air.

Also seems to work better earlier in the day, set up the night before and checked on just after dawn. When I was a kid I found a salamander in the pit (it wasn't in the water cup, thank goodness).

~angie

It all depends on how big a pit you dig and how much vegetation you can find to put in it. You're not going to be throwing out any water. We are talking survival here.

AMGS3 said:
The amount of water collected depends entirely on the amount of humidity in the air.

Angie, the process doesn't sound very promising for desert dwellers.  Still would li8ke to know at certain humidity levels, how much water can be collected this way.  I use very little water myself, so there's that, plus where I live ther's clean water all over the place. However, If I travel to warmer climes, how to use a process would be good to know.

The amount of water collected depends on how moist the soil is and how much green vegetation is in the hole.

Here's a link to a video about it. In the video he pours a bucket of seawater into the pit, too. That's a cool trick. I wonder if you could use any readily available water source that was undrinkable (swamp water, for instance) to evaporate and condense into drinkable water. What do you guys think?

~angie