Meriwether Lewis campground in Hohenwald, TN

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShastaRosie

Reaction score
The Meriwether Lewis campground is pretty nice. Free, no reservations required. A campground host showed up a couple days after I got there, not sure how long they're staying. Spotty Internet signal, but site #12 had one strong enough for my hotspot. No electric hookups anywhere, and no showers. I drove to Davy Crockett State Park and worked from one of their pavilions every day. The Powers Food Mart in Hohenwald has great vegan treats like Larabars and rice cakes, and coconut milk for $1/can, yummy. The William Tell Platz has a nice bandstand but the electricity doesn't work. The trees were loaded with mulberries when I was there in early June so I ate quite a few of them. Good internet signal there too. The campground is also on the Natchez Trace, which is so nice.

That area of Tennessee is LOADED with ticks, all of us were picking them off ourselves every day, just sitting at our picnic tables or sleeping in our RV or tent. I'd stay there again though, but with more bug spray.

I've stayed there several times in my Aliner. It's right on the Natchez Trace. Another one on the Trace farther south (MP 193) that is also free is the Jeff Busby campground. The Meriwether Lewis CG seems to be in just the right spot for me to overnight, when traveling from Louisiana and heading to the Smoky Mountains.

The Trace is one of my favorite roads to drive because there's rolling, verdant landscape with lots of wildlife, little traffic (commercial vehicles prohibited) and a leisurely 50 mph speed limit. It calms the soul.

Here's a nice review of the Jeff Busby CG: https://ultimatecampgrounds.com/~ul...mississippi/natchez-trace-pky-jeff-busby-park

Chip