NICE!!!! Spot

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanC

Reaction score
OK, I think I have a new winner for the most beautiful state I've been in.  Granted I've never been in the Northwest states - but been in every other one except Hawaii and Alaska.  The winner is..........:

Tennessee.

This morning's drive was jaw dropping. Winding roads (in excellent condition) through gorgeous scenery.  It has the look of history about it, giant oaks, and of course this is the graveside of Merriweather Lewis (Lewis and Clark).The campground I'm in is on the Natchez Trace and it's hands down the nicest free campground I've been in so far. Clean bathrooms, fresh water right outside my door, fire ring, trash can and in this beautiful forest with hiking trails. Pics to follow. This is a highly recommended spot if you're coming through Tennessee, just south of Nashville.  I'm going to be a real tourist while I'm here.  Hohenwald is also a nice looking little town, just a few miles down the road - looks to have everything one might need

Sweet!

Guess I never realized the Natchez Trace went all the way up to TN, I've only been on the Mississippi part.

I have hammock camped there. It is on my list of where to camp if/when I get back to that area.

When I did my motorcycle trip from Mass to Texas my favorite state far and away was Tennessee. I thought the free camping was 5 star. I've been to all 50 States and if I had to pick one it would be a toss up between Tennessee or Montana and each for totally different reasons. I've found myself looking at land for sale there many a times.

Tennessee eh? Never been there, but will have to try to go some day.

My folks used to own 12 acres with a view of the Cumberland Gap, up by Monteagle. It was a beautiful place, but not too welcoming to "my kind" so I didn't go there a lot.

Queen said:
My folks used to own 12 acres with a view of the Cumberland Gap, up by Monteagle.  It was a beautiful place, but not too welcoming to "my kind" so I didn't go there a lot.

That sucks, sad that this thinking still exists in some parts of the country.  If it makes you feel any better i've been let known "my kind" wasn't welcomed in a part of Kentucky once.  They did NOT like yankees was an understatement.

Took a short hike with the Toddler. Went down to a clear running creek.  Whenever I see something as beautiful as this forest I get kind of emotional over what an incredible country we have.

You know what the best part is?  There are almost no signs, just signposts pointing to camping, hiking, etc, but no list of twenty rules, and the place is spotless. Down by the hiking trail there's a parking area with a bathroom.  The place is pretty much deserted, but again, no litter, toilets are sparkling clean. So proud that people are respecting of this gift.  This whole area is run by the National Parks Service and they are doing one heck of a job.

Here's my camp. Looks like I'm on the road, but there are little paved pull-through camping spots. About 30 spots in this campground - 6 people staying here.

Attachments

• Hohenwald.jpg
    Hohenwald.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Hohenwald2.jpg
    Hohenwald2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29
I too have come to love Tennessee and know exactly where you are talking about. I like it so much I now have a storage unit in Hohenwald and in the process of moving the rest of my things there from the PNW. I'll be back in the area towards the end of June and will start my search for a home base there too. If you get a chance, visit The Farm in Summertown, about 15-miles from Natchez Trace. The main road, farm store and eco village are open to the public. It's famous and it's gorgeous. Like a nature preserve. I just attended the spring "Experience Weekend" in March. Here are links about it. http://www.thefarm.org & http://greenliferetreats.com/march-farm-experience-weekend.

Ooops, I hit enter before I was ready. ^^ And, Natchez Trace RV Park Preserve is about 5-miles away. It’s a Thousand Trails campground. I purchased a membership because I was ready to stay in the area and need a temporary home base. It requires a membership, $465 on sale right now for a 1 zone pass. I have the Southeast zone. For that you get your first 30 days stay for no charge and then you can stay for 14-nights at $4 per night. Then you have to leave for 7 days (my plan is to then move to the free campground) and then back for my next 14 days or until I’m ready for something else. They also have annual passes and prorate for ½ year on July 1 and it’s very reasonable. It’s not my first choice because it is an RV park but it’s serving a purpose for right now. And it’s on a beautiful lake. I stayed in site #166, it was away from the big RV’s and has lots of trees around. https://www.thousandtrails.com/tennessee/natchez-trace-rv-campground/

Because of the economy here, a lot of people I love have moved away from Michigan. I miss them. One of the reasons I want to be nomadic is to visit them. And lucky me! I have cousins who have moved to Tennessee! I intend to spend time in their driveways :) It is such a beautiful state for sure.

I considered Tn for retirement. West Tn can get hot and humid in the Summer, (all that green comes from somewhere). It is also in Tornado Alley. Going to sleep when there are storms in the area may be a bit unnerving.

The Cumberland Plateau is cooler, but I understand the crime rate is higher. In the end, I had too much stuff to move, (from California). I ended up in Nevada.

rondaj said:
I too have come to love Tennessee and know exactly where you are talking about. I like it so much I now have a storage unit in Hohenwald and in the process of moving the rest of my things there from the PNW.

Thanks for all the information. I'll be checking it all out for sure (poor phone service right now). Funny about you moving to Hohenwald. As soon as I drove into town I had a feeling of belonging there. The town doesn't look much different than any other small town that has seen better days, but there is an aura about it, isn't there? Although I tend to say it about every new place I stop at, this is definitely the best. I just got here yesterday, so haven't had time to check it out, but I'm planning to stay for a bit, so I definitely will.

Hoping to see a bear while I'm here - this is their territory.

My goofy cat didn't come in last night when I called, so she was stuck outside -in the rain half the night. Was complaining like mad when she finally came in. No sympathy, she knows the score about bedtime and last call before the door gets closed.

A side note: I met a young guy yesterday who is doing a tour of the eastern states ON HIS BICYCLE. He's done 700 miles so far carrying everything in a duffle bag. Pretty amazing.

My neighbor here is a mini van dweller - I haven't met them since they must have gotten in late last night, but once you know the signs you can tell who's one of us. Can't wait to meet them - might even be a forum member.

Glad you're having a great time, Ian! Hope the little town turns out to be a magical place for you.

Another cat person! Awesomeness. My traveling companion is a feline too. She’s a great little traveler and companion although getting up in age now. She just turned 17. Good to hear yours returned after half a wet night out on the town.

Yes, that area seems to have an especially nice aura about it and I have been through lots of small towns in the past 2 years. As far as being in Tornado Alley, everywhere has something to be cautious of weather and climate related. My motto is to keep current on the weather, fires, floods etc and go from there.

Very cool about the cyclist. I’ve found the Natchez Trace is very popular for cyclists. I’m looking forward to doing some of that myself and hiking and paddling some of the rivers and maybe a little gardening once I get all my things there and an official “home base” which will most likely be little more than a storage building with tiny kitchen and bathroom and sheltered place to park. I do have the nomad gene so in the Fall plan to spend time back in Western NC and the Blue Ridge Parkway before heading back to Florida for a couple of months and reconnecting with friends I made this past winter at the winter SE GTG again.

A bit more about The Farm. At The Farm Store they sell organic foods and other items and often have delicious fresh homemade soup or chili available in addition to take out meals and excellent coffee. Great ambiance there. If you want to spend more time they have volunteer events and it’s an excellent opportunity to help out and meet other nice people. You can get the scoop on volunteer ops at the Welcome Center.

And a bit more about the Natchez Trace RV Park Preserve. They have annual sites available and at a prorated rate beginning July 1, not annual pass per my post above.

I’ll send a you a p.m. when I’m back in the area and if you’re still there would love to meet up and say hello. Let us know what you think of that house/property you posted above!

If that area appeals to you that could be a heck of a deal. Might make a good place to set up shop.

I have a riding buddy who lives in Tennessee, beautiful country
2 things to keep in mind
Tennessee cops will ticket you for 1 mph over, probably not an issue for a 'dweller
Tenn is an 'asset forfeiture' state, IIRC Mike advised us not to carry more than 2-3 hundred dollars on our persons or in our vehicles

biscuits and gravy.jpg
Biscuits and gravy and Tennessee seem to go hand in hand.  Yes, it was worth all the cooking and clean-up involved.

Met my neighbor.  She's from Quebec and has been on the road since November, spending most of the time in Mexico.  Nice chatting.

Attachments

• biscuits and gravy.jpg
    biscuits and gravy.jpg
    1,000.9 KB · Views: 13