Hello! In prep mode on the Great White Beast.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a great start down the road.  When you get to the next RTR, you will fit right in with a WHITE van.  You'll understand when you get there.  I'm proud of you and maybe we will meet up.

Welcome!
And good job on the GWB prep. I :heart: enjoyed reading your long post & cheering you on. Oh the irony of the W name! Ok. No more political. :p

Great White Beauty! Lucky you on the high top.

What is it with writers/editors and great white vans? Same here but I sew, crochet & do silk painting and a few other things  too while on the road. Happy to see another one of us writers here. Might be able to meet up with you up in Flag. I'll be meandering up that way before the RTR. I look forward to grammar/spell checking your posts! Just kidding though, I won't do that, but I know you know what I mean.
I am not new here, been at Bob's CRV site and reading for 4-5 years. Always fascinating. Oh, I can't count the hours I've spent reading there, or the drooling I've done on my bib!

I only signed up for the forum recently and been mostly reading.  :D I thought it was time to write.
I left mine named Great White, since I have & often enjoy the album by Great White. Dodge B3500 maxivan, "white" cargo van with roof rack. It's my 6th Dodge Maxi-Van.
I'm over half done with my buildup and what seems a buyout of equipment this and that. Newest is Renogy Solar 200W & Fantastic Fan going on in next few days. The learning and plywood paint & prep work for the solar is almost as time consuming as the build was for my bed and galley/kitchen/desk/storage. Comfort plus maximum function.

Been working on writing short story, accurate build plan drawings & materials lists & taking "as I go" photos to give to Bob Wells to post for blank empty cargo maxi-vans if he wants to.
:cool: Ssshh, he doesn't know it yet. :angel:

I apologize for this being long. I could have done a separate introduction, but, I seemed to have done what writers do.
Andy

Thanks, And Goodwill (Andy)! We definitely seem to have a lot in common. I also sew, knit, crochet and play around with making jewelry in addition to writing and editing. I've been wondering about a small sewing machine that would work on the road. I gave away my big clunker just recently. Hope we do meet up on the road at some point!

And Goodwill said:
Yes, we do have a few to a lot in common. I'd suggest a portable Kenmore model 158-1789180, just looked, there's a few around 80-90 on ebay. It will out perform & last forever, even on bluejeans, despite being older. I still have mine, but I tore out all the machine guts & converted it to a "felting machine". Look at the Wattage if you have solar system plans. Somewhere on Bob's site, under solar, there was a calculator.

I haul around a Kenmore Ultra 19010, made by Janome, Embroidery machine, it's big but I don't care. :p It's been a wonderful machine; does all things since 2002. Also a serger. Once you serge you can't imagine no serge. Sewing, even mending, is pleasure.
Are you sure you'll be at Flag RTR? Might meet up there. Somewhere I have a recipe to share for white glue & white bread to hand make jewelry beads of any shape. Then paint them. Fun & portable craft.
:)

That particular machine, is 120 Watts & 1 Ah. I just looked at mine. It is a fairly heavy duty motor, set on high to sew 5 layers heavy denim, so w/b less power on low, prob 80-90 Watts. It weighs around 20 lbs. Has a low/high setting & 24 stitches (had). I might have the addon buttonholer attachment still. Would have to look. Sew habits, to never throw away tools.
I would expect featherweight & light duty machines to use less power & Ah off house battery. In the end, it all depends how heavy or how many layers you want to sew.

And Goodwill, unless something unexpected happens, I'm still on track to be at the Flagstaff RTR. The bead recipe sounds great. I'm hoping van life gives me lots more time for all my hobbies (and new ones)!

Hey Beverly, have you started a conversion thread yet? If not, get on it... If so, what's the link? need many pictures of the interior!! :-D

WanderingScribe said:
And Goodwill, unless something unexpected happens, I'm still on track to be at the Flagstaff RTR. The bead recipe sounds great. I'm hoping van life gives me lots more time for all my hobbies (and new ones)!
What is the date for the Flag RTR? :huh: Tried to find. Unable. Hunting down the bead recipe. Was a great way to use white bread & white glue. Neither is good to eat. :p

And Goodwill said:
What is the date for the Flag RTR? :huh: Tried to find. Unable. Hunting down the bead recipe. Was a great way to use white bread & white glue. Neither is good to eat. :p

Was set for June 1-11, but Bob Wells has had to cancel. Jimindenver has posted about a potential informal gathering, same time, same place. 
See the Gatherings: Formal and Informal section on the main Forums page (it's under Life on the Road). I guess I'll be seeing how things develop. I'm a week behind on my build due to torrential rains last week, but I should finish my floor tomorrow.

Welcome to CRVL WanderingScribe. Awesome find. It's amazing when you are open the things you receive. Looking forward to your progress and build. I hope you find a cozy corner as you enjoy all the great people, stories and wealth of information this forum offers. Be safe and enjoy the roads ahead.

Hi, how is your GWB project coming? Making any progress? Hope so.

And Goodwill said:
Hi, how is your GWB project coming? Making any progress? Hope so.

I've been terribly negligent in updating here! Thanks for lighting the fire under me. I've actually been out and about in the van for the past month, mostly visiting family and friends in surrounding states and getting a feel for what I still need. I'm back in the parents' driveway in Tennessee for now, getting ready to put on the finishing touches: some trim work, a proper "kitchen," figuring out a power source, etc. I'm really, truly going to create a build thread. I'm going to do that tomorrow! 

Here's what The Great White Beast looks like inside right now:

IMG_3965.JPG

IMG_3680 (2).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3965.JPG
    IMG_3965.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3680 (2).JPG
    IMG_3680 (2).JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
I'll have to figure out how to include pictures that aren't sideways in the meantime, too.

When I clicked on pics they were right side up!! It looks terrific and I'm glad you've been out enjoying it!