Mercedes Sprinter 4x4

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Every Road Leads Home

Reaction score
Call me crazy, but I'm seriously considering buying one of these for what I consider to be the ultimate road trip vehicle.  They have an excellent hauling capacity (I'll be traveling with a motorcycle and carpentry tools) pretty good towing capacity (about 7k) and decent gas mileage. (owners on the forums saying about 17-21 mpg with the 4wd models)  I plan on doing some extensive traveling through some of the more remote parts of Alaska and Canada as well as using it in snowy climates so to me having AWD or 4WD is a definite requirement.  Plus sometimes you just want to go where the pavement ends.  I know these aren't rock crawlers but seem pretty capable in most situations.  

The one drawback i've been reading is there aren't a lot of dealerships yet that can handle the repairs should the need arise, but that seems to be less and less an issue the longer they are out.  And then it is a Mercedes so maintenance and repairs are a bit pricey too.  

It costs what would be 3 years rent in my area so saying that out loud it sounds absurd to spend that on a vehicle, but on the flip side, i've been disabled for the previous four years and never expected Id even be in the position to travel again so sometimes you gotta weigh money against the fact we all only have one shot on this planet to do the things we want to do.  Decisions Decisions!  

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...MB[MBSPRINTER[]][]]&listingId=415887884&Log=0

Attachments

• Sprinter.jpg
    Sprinter.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 8
Every Road Leads Home said:
The one drawback i've been reading is there aren't a lot of dealerships yet that can handle the repairs should the need arise, but that seems to be less and less an issue the longer they are out.  And then it is a Mercedes so maintenance and repairs are a bit pricey too.  

That pretty much summarizes why I crossed Sprinters off my list. When I started this 8 months ago, I felt sure that a Sprinter is what I wanted...however, the more I learned and read, the more I became convinced that I just don't have pockets deep enough to cover the SHTF costs those babies can smack people with. Not only that, but just start asking around and you'll find people that have them sitting in shops for months at a time. And contrary to what you might think, no, the number of qualified service places doesn't seem to be growing. I drive by a city-owned Sprinter every day that's been sitting at a local shop for 2 months, my friend's work Sprinter was down for 3 months last year, my boss' Sprinter has required 3 trips to Miami and $2000 (even thought its under warranty) to deal with AC problems...the list goes on.

Start reading the Transit forum...most of them are prior Sprinter owners.

I'm still tempted by the arguments for Sprinters, I know them all...but in the end I feel there's good alternatives and I can't deal with a vehicle that costs over $9000 if the engine goes. Or "only" $1500 when the overly advanced emission controls go wonky.

Take a look at Transits...Quigly is offering 4x4, it's as good or better space as Sprinters, and its gas...and a Ford which is easy to get work done on.

independent front suspension and 4wd, strike one. no manual locking hubs, strike two. Mercedes Benz, strike three. highdesertranger

I was hoping to get a photo up here this week, but no luck...  I've been seeing one the 4X4 Sprinters around work lately, but the one I see has a lift kit and larger tires.  It looks pretty cool, but I drive a 2015 Sprinter every day for work and know all too well how expensive they are to maintain and buy.  (the one I drive was $93,006 + all the usual taxes, fees and misc. dealer BS).  

They're nice looking vans and they drive great, but they're a bitch to work on.  You can't take them just anywhere.

I'll have to do some more research into them. Ponying up to buy them is one thing but if it's going to keep costing thousands after the fact everytime some little sensor breaks or what not, that's another story. Let alone being with out it for months on end. I was originally looking at Quigley conversions, time to keep doing my research and due diligence. Local dealer is selling Chevy Express 2500's for 24,500. Another 12 for Quigley to 4x4 it and i'd still be around 12 less than the Sprinter. Based on what the Quigley's are fetching on the used market with high mileage to boot, it doesn't sound all that bad.

I don't claim to be any kind of expert.  But about 6 years ago I bought a 2002 sprinter van with 315k miles.  I drove it for about 3 years, got 25mpg, replaced the battery, egr valve, thermostat, tires, re-welded the exhaust system after it fell off.  I sold it with 400k miles.  I bought a new 2014 sprinter 2500.  It now has 40k miles.  I had the check engine light come on once, it needed a "software update" (no charge).  It's been great, great mileage.  Of course it's 2 wheel drive.  If I had it to do over I'd look hard at the Ford, since they're an American company and they have a great dealer network, I just wish they offered a small fuel efficient engine.  But, my sprinter has a 2.1 liter engine and can get 28mpg.  It has plenty of power.  I'm happy with my choice.

HarmonicaBruce said:
I don't claim to be any kind of expert.  But about 6 years ago I bought a 2002 sprinter van with 315k miles.  I drove it for about 3 years, got 25mpg, replaced the battery, egr valve, thermostat, tires, re-welded the exhaust system after it fell off.  I sold it with 400k miles.  I bought a new 2014 sprinter 2500.  It now has 40k miles.  I had the check engine light come on once, it needed a "software update" (no charge).  It's been great, great mileage.  Of course it's 2 wheel drive.  If I had it to do over I'd look hard at the Ford, since they're an American company and they have a great dealer network, I just wish they offered a small fuel efficient engine.  But, my sprinter has a 2.1 liter engine and can get 28mpg.  It has plenty of power.  I'm happy with my choice.

I love that MPG....Please keep us posted on how it goes...

I saw 2 of these today and it sure looks like their track is real narrow for their height. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I saw 2 of these today and it sure looks like their track is real narrow for their height.  highdesertranger

I agree. They look really skinny...

I looked, drove and haggled over used MB Sprinters two years ago. The only knowledgeable mechanic was in Pittsburgh PA at that time, reference the Sprinter owners website. Rolling the dice on a new one then was even more of an issue. I'm not sure they have things any better today. A tow charge from out-in-the-sticks USA wasn't something I was willing to roll the dice on.

Today I'd easily opt for a Ford Transit in a Gas model. (their just aren't that many dealerships around the country that have trained diesel mechanics) Also, since I'm offering my unexperienced opinion, a 4WD in either vehicle is something I'd avoid for a few years or at least until there is enough owner feedback on it's track record.

16 Transit Gas.jpg
2016 Ford Transit

Attachments

• 16 Transit Gas.jpg
    16 Transit Gas.jpg
    486.2 KB · Views: 4
If you're looking at sprinter 4x4 price tags, then a Quigley or Quadvan converted Transit is going to look like a bargain. I think Quigley charges $12k. You could easily get out the door for under $50k.