Small Vans for a Small Budget

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Journey

Reaction score
Hello folks!

Based on my needs and wants, I've narrowed down a few mini vans that fit my budget of about $3000 to $7000. Stealth and MPG are key. Of course, I want something that is as reliable as possible too. I'm looking to trade in my current car, so that's why I have primarily been looking at dealerships to skip the extra step of selling my car and then buying the van with cash.

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on the two current vans I'm looking at as well as some general suggestions for specific models to look at:

1. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...GMC[SAFARIGMC[]][]]&listingId=422852426&Log=0

2. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...t=[CHEV[ASTRO[]][]]&listingId=319714669&Log=0

If they are mechanically sound they both look like decent vans.  Not really sure about the prices though.

nobodyG17 said:
If they are mechanically sound they both look like decent vans.  Not really sure about the prices though.

Don't forget to negotiate! I was always to shy to do that but I found a magic "to me" way to start the process that doesn't make me feel uncomfortable. My opening line is: Would you consider $____? and take it from there. Don't forget to pause after they come up with a counter offer. Have a price in mind before you start the negotiation and be prepare to walk away. A car dealer sales person can read desperation a mile away. I practiced at yard sale before I was comfortable enough to move on bigger items.

Good luck, can't wait to see what you'll buy.

Nicole

When dickering always remember,the first one to name a price is immediately at a disadvantage.

Thanks all! Those are some great things to keep in mind.

I was reading about the importance of getting a mechanic's inspection pre-purchase, but how would I go about suggesting that with a dealer vs a private seller, in my case? "Hey. Can I borrow this car I haven't paid for... just for a few hours? I'll be right back! I swear! ;) "

Journey said:
Thanks all! Those are some great things to keep in mind.

I was reading about the importance of getting a mechanic's inspection pre-purchase, but how would I go about suggesting that with a dealer vs a private seller, in my case? "Hey. Can I borrow this car I haven't paid for... just for a few hours? I'll be right back! I swear! ;) "

Just tell them you want to have it inspected by a neutral mechanic.  If they refuse, you probably shouldn't buy from them, because they obviously have something to hide.

Journey said:
Hello folks!

Based on my needs and wants, I've narrowed down a few mini vans that fit my budget of about $3000 to $7000. Stealth and MPG are key. Of course, I want something that is as reliable as possible too. I'm looking to trade in my current car, so that's why I have primarily been looking at dealerships to skip the extra step of selling my car and then buying the van with cash.

I was wondering if I could get some feedback on the two current vans I'm looking at as well as some general suggestions for specific models to look at:

1. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...GMC[SAFARIGMC[]][]]&listingId=422852426&Log=0

2. http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...t=[CHEV[ASTRO[]][]]&listingId=319714669&Log=0

I had GMC safari - loved it! Be sure to have your mechanic look at the transmission - they are known for having to be replaced.  We had to. :(

03 has 4 wheel disc brakes and 16" rims instead of 15" so that is the better option, work on the price. Maybe look for a AWD one? There are other forums dedicated to the Astro/Safari too...

TequilaSunSet said:
03 has 4 wheel disc brakes and 16" rims instead of 15" so that is the better option, work on the price. Maybe look for a AWD one? There are other forums dedicated to the Astro/Safari too...

Great point, TequilaSunSet. I was keeping an eye out for AWD, but I didn't see much. I might need to expand my search area, wait it out, or boost my price range a little. I'll check out those forums as well. Much appreciated.

Thankfully I'm not in a major rush as I have stable shelter and food now, so I can take my time looking and researching.

Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 9.03.10 PM.png 
Found this guy today as well. Another Safari from 2003 with low miles.

Keeping my eyes on Autotrader and Craigslist. I haven't seen any AWD yet in my area.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 9.03.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 9.03.10 PM.png
    370.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 9.20.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 9.20.26 PM.png
    539.9 KB · Views: 18
(I meant to edit that last post but that didn't seem to work.)

Here's another van I found today with low miles at 72k:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-05 at 9.20.26 PM.png
    539.9 KB · Views: 20
I'm getting some details and talking to people today. My current top choice (the 2003 Safari) is at a dealership that seems open to a trade-in so if I can manage a good deal on that, I'll be able to avoid financing (AKA interest fees/more money out of my pocket down the line) and have some funds leftover to put towards my initial supplies and travel costs. As recommended, I'll have it inspected by a certified mechanic as a precaution, before moving forward with anything.

Disclaimer: I'm going to ramble a bit now to get some thoughts down and processed.

My plan is to test out my van through little local trips to start in order to gauge how I'm using the space and what items and organizational solutions are going to fit me best. I've had a yoga mat and sleeping bag set up in my room for a few weeks now so I have acclimated to sleeping soundly on those. The other variables of sleeping in the van are light, temperature, and sound, as noted by many vandwellers. I have some leftover blackout curtain material to use until I pick up some Reflectix and additional blackout fabric if needed. I have a folding chair, a cooler, and a  plastic storage bin with a few drawers too. Most of my food is grains, beans, fruits, and veggies, so a cooler should handle my needs to start, and won't require any power. I anticipate picking up an additional power unit as well as solar in time, depending on my leftover funds and income. I have some ear plugs for noise issues, but I'll try to adjust to sleeping without them to test my limits. The weather locally has been very mild, but I'll likely pick up a USB fan as one of my first purchases to keep air flowing. A roof vent will follow. I don't anticipate needing to use a Mr. Buddy Heater for my local travels between my warm clothing, sleeping bag, and blankets, though I'll probably add that to my basic supplies moving forward, as I intend to travel farther.

I consider myself a minimalist so one of my core tests here is to see what supplies I actually need, especially before buying anything new. Then, of course, I can add in some creature comforts if I feel they'll serve me well, as time goes on. For now, I'd rather start building my financial safety net, my freelance business, and get started!

You have picked some nice ones. I had a GMC Safari AWD, which is the same as an Astro. I absolutely loved that van! I currently have a Dodge B2500 with the 318. It can get 17 mpg on the highway, which is not too bad for a 3/4 ton van with a V8.
One suggestion, try to find those same vans with the cargo body as opposed to conversion vans. Conversion vans generally cost more, and I'm thinking you are going to modify the interior any way? That, and cargo vans won't have all those windows to cover.

Ballenxj, I kept my search pretty broad, including both cargo and conversion, but for reasons unknown the ones in my area and budget so far have all been conversion. I'll keep my eyes out though. Smart thinking.

A full size chevy cargo van can be found in your price range and gets pretty much same mpg. Lots of people go with the Astro's to get AWD but looks like you're looking at 2wd anyways. Nothing is as stealthy as a cargo van. They are found all over the country and are found working every shift so they fit right in almost every where.

Journey said:
Ballenxj, I kept my search pretty broad, including both cargo and conversion, but for reasons unknown the ones in my area and budget so far have all been conversion. I'll keep my eyes out though. Smart thinking.
I've been doing this off and on for a while. My first van was a 1967 GMC short wheel based service van that was previously owned by Centel Telephone Co. It was a great van.

So much depends on how you will use the van too. Living in it, living out of it, both?
Stealth camping?
Regular campsites?
Fire roads?
Ocean views?

Stealth camping then a cargo van works, keep prying eyes out and light from escaping when inside.
Out in nature with great views, nothing like windows to see out of with your morning cup of coffee/reading a book, especially if its raining or cold out.
Plan on being out and about the majority of time and then it is just mainly for sleep/changing clothes/eating then windows aren't so important.
Fire roads then AWD/4x4 would be a good thing to have... just remember not to go to far off the beaten path, this is how you get stuck. Lots of snow in your travels AWD is wonderful.

At the risk of sound sappy, seriously, I'm appreciative of this communities' willingness to share with me.

TequilaSunSet, solid questions. Let's see here. I am a admitted newbie in many senses, but I'm committed to discovering and experimenting to see what works for me. I am trying not to enter my experience/dive into a traveling and nomadic life with assumptions or limitations based on my former identity as a "model citizen" and house-dweller. I want to push my limits to actually find them, as I do not believe I have experienced a fully engaging situation or moment up to this point in my life.

My plan to start will be to stay in the city and stealth camp and/or use a family/friend's driveway, as I essentially build and refine my supply/living system in my van. This will also leave options open for temporary in-person work in and around the city (my native city to start). With my time off the clock, so to speak, I intend to build my skills and marketing for my freelance services and my passive income bases. Depending on how successful these are combined with my savings from temp work, I may then have the both the budget and the confidence to leave the familiarity of the city and that temp city work, to work primarily from a hotspot remotely as I travel through cities and nature as I choose.

I have a strong curiosity regarding nature and I believe that I need to reconnect and become part of it again, so I anticipate that I will want to "get out there" as much as I can, with AWD/4x4 being an extra tool to expand my possibilities. I would really love to keep some windows if it doesn't mean compromising on other key areas. I value AWD more than windows, for example, but I value windows enough to deal with the inconvenience of setting up a system temporarily to block light while stealth camping. I am a designer and artist, so sight/vision is something that resonates with me deeply, especially observing and experiencing the peculiarity of landscapes. As you mentioned, a good book, some coffee, and a rainy view of nature might actually be the pieces of the trinity for me. Haha. I'll be outside when weather and my energy level permits, though. I've spent too much time indoors because of a perceived obligation or goal.

I can't see myself desiring to stay in regular campsites if they are anything more than cheap. I would consider them as a luxury expense later down the line, if there was a particular space I wanted to experience that otherwise didn't have free land to camp on. I would also inhabit a campsite if I was working as a camp host because I would bypass any camping fees that way.

I hope that starts to paint a picture of my perspective and values in relation to vandwelling and vehicle needs/desires.