Ford Stealth Van - long term plan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroad

Reaction score
What do the fine friendly acquaintances here think of this ford van, as a starter vehicle for setting up as a camper eventually?  Need it as a daily driver for now. 

have to make sure it can park in a standard sized parking spot, though obviously may be too big to bring into a parking garage.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?dealerId=69779947&zip=29412&endYear=2016&startYear=1981&searchRadius=0&listingId=397542056 

Thinking it has enough windows to make it look less creepy. 

only alternative am looking for is diesel engine. And with diesel the debate is the longevity of the engine, using it with biofuel; versus the ease of fixing gasoline engines.

It's hard to go wrong with a Ford E-series van, although I'd choose an E-150 over the more expensive and truck-like 250. I'd think twice about a diesel engine, though: Not everyone can work on them, repairs tend to be expensive, and fuel cost is higher. Also, are you really going to keep the van for 10 years/200,000 miles?

Bob Wells once recommended that you buy a minivan as an inexpensive and economical starter vehicle in which to get started on your initial foray into the (part-time) vandwelling experience, and I must agree.

Bob pretty much knows about these things!

Also need to understand if the ford could be converted to dually

offroad said:
Also need to understand if the ford could be converted to dually

Looks like there are adapters to allow a truck to have dually rear wheels. As long as you keep the same weight limit. I just want the better traction. But suppose making the wheel wider will cause other issues.

Reno....I like the 250 & even better, a 350.
I've seen too many 150s squatting after a build and all the personal stuff is loaded. 
Give me more suspension than needed and the added ground clearance to camp the deserts and forest roads and I'm happy.

I'd go look at that one! Lots of nice and unique features to make it stand out. Have you checked NADA or Blue Book on it yet.
Bob

I've converted an E350 to duals before. It worked well - we were going for better stability on the highway while hauling 15 teenagers. 15 passenger vans have a very high rollover rate - although there are a lot of contributing factors including lack of driver education. If I recall it ran around $2800 for the adaptors, 7 wheels and tires, fenders, etc.... bought from various sources. The work itself wasn't much more difficult than changing all of your tires. I would definitely go with a 3/4 or 1 ton over a 1/2 ton. Even the transmissions are heavier duty. I'm one of the odd ones here, who think a diesel is worth it. Not just for the mileage and longevity, but for the ease of hauling as I tend to be fully loaded and driving through the mountains most of the time. And yes, I kept my last truck for 11+ years and 216,000 miles and as far as I know a guy is still using it to tow a fifth wheel from CO to AZ and back every year.

akrvbob said:
I'd go look at that one! Lots of nice and unique features to make it stand out. Have you checked NADA or Blue Book on it yet.
Bob

It's about $1000 higher than KBB value. And it does not have the original seats. It's attached a a 10,000 pound utility trailer; so I assume it can handle that load.

I'm not going Ford because of the motor issues which weren't resolved in the vans until 2009, I wouldn't buy one before that. I would also NEVER suggest a 1/2 ton for a dwelling build out, way too much weight in there. Have you looked into the Express? Much nicer ride and better motor options. I would get the E250 or E350 with the 7.3L in it, that's a really amazing motor, otherwise I would go with the Express.

After sleeping on it, it does seem rather big to deal with as a full time daily driver short commute vehicle, while building out. Want the engine big, but being a twelve passenger it's really that much harder to navigate small roads and parking lots.

TusconAz and HighdesertR thanks for warning about the engine issues with the spark plug design. When looking at these I will consider and ask the owner about getting the fix. Will need to look up in ALLDATA.com to see if a service bulletin was issued for the spark plug engine issue.

forget about alldata as they charge $16 for looking at one vehicle bulletins. way too expensive just did a search on spark plug issues ford van and found this video about the fix

seems number 3 & 4 cylinder on the triton ford v8 can have issues. good to know when shopping these fords. but it can be fixed

They did have a service bulletin on it and the fix doesn't impress me, it took them a LONG time to address it. I really would rather have the Ford over the Chevy for many reasons and have tried up and down to justify it but with those two motors as the options I just can't. Not to mention the Chevy 6.0L being an all around better motor with a better trans behind it.

As for size, I wouldn't stress about that, I would rather the extended version, unless you have major issues with your spatial reasoning you will be just fine, I have done more in much larger.

Okay will start looking at the Chevy solution for a van. Seems quite a few have one on here. Hope that is not because everyone fell in love with the old "Chevy van" song. Lol.

I have very few issues driving/parking the maxi van in town or forest. Pretty much if I can't go there you ain't going in a shorter, overloaded rig either.
There are a few exceptions but not enough to make me want a smaller van, especially considering the living space difference and our large bed.

Okay never mind on that diesel ford. According to Wikipedia page the 2003 - 2007 power stroke Diesel engine experienced problems and cost ford millions in warranty claims. Always something.

The 6 liter Ford diesel in those years was a piss-poor engine to be avoided at all cost.

Along with the spark plug problem in their Triton engines it just left them with a black eye. While they were doing everything wrong, Chevy was doing everything right, I'm now a Chevy man even though I used to be a Ford man.
Bob