Medical forum?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanderer

Reaction score
I noticed that there's no "Medical" forum or section where the discussion of medical or drug issues can be discussed....

Considering that many here are taking medication, might be helpful to have others talk about what they take and if there's
something better for them.

Good idea??

I don't think this forum is the place to ask for or give medical advice.

That's a rabbit hole discussion to not go down. Almost like politics. It's gets really weird really fast. Agreed to not discuss it.

Because men use duck tape and paper towels to fix all wounds?  

Whats to discuss?   ;)

A lot of website shy away from that because of possible liability issues. From my limited experience with such forums, they often do misinform, misunderstand and judge people from anything from a medication, symptoms and with natural medicine, of which I am fairly well versed, give advice that can be frightening. After that it comes difficult to post "Never do that! You could die." because the other poster suggesting it gets offended.

Well, since everyone is assuming things not evidenced, then I withdraw my suggestion.

Curious why there isn't a forum for discussing health care issues. I'd like to discuss insurance costs, medical facilities on the road, first aid, healthy food, exercise, etc.

Any thoughts?

mikEXpat said:
Curious why there isn't a forum for discussing health care issues. I'd like to discuss insurance costs, medical facilities on the road, first aid, healthy food, exercise, etc.

Any thoughts?

Off Topic, or Discussions that do not fit in other areas.  

Food and cooking, Money Matters, Safety on the road.

Apparently this is a hot button subject that is likely to either start fights, or spread dodgy advice.   (This has been brought up before) 

I would start a thread in Discussions, and hope it does not get trolled.

There is no actual reason except it never occurred to me when I set up the forum. As the forum grew and was used more we added a lot of them that I never thought of.

The problem is now we have so many I'm reluctant to add more. We have a lot of forums now! I'm not concerned at all about it being a hot topic, the only real threat is about it becoming political and that is already covered under the no-politics rule.

Insurance falls easily under the Budget category and much of the advice would be about healthy eating which falls under Food and Cooking.

Bottom line it's a good idea, I'm just reluctant to add any more forums even if they are a good idea.
Bob

Wanderer said:
Considering that many here are taking medication, might be helpful to have others talk about what they take and if there's

These days, there are online support groups for damn near every disease and medical condition under the sun. 

You would be far better off taking your questions to one of those.

Regards
John

I've been trying to attend local meetings of PA (Paranoids Anonymous) with little success... Nobody will tell me where it is.

Wanderer said:
I noticed that there's no "Medical" forum or section where the discussion of medical or drug issues can be discussed....

Good idea??  

well i may be group a of one & i still think it would be O.K.   health issues  seem to be already discussed or referred to by many in these forums.  i mean if i come across  way T.M.I.  re: noisy vibrators while reading a post, which is a subject i think is for private conversations and not public consumption, you don't see me pis**ng & moa**ng about it.             peace out,   texas jaybird    :rolleyes:

Wanderer said:

Good idea??

I think it is a wonderful idea.

Bob shares his trips to Algodones, Mexico along with the drugs and locations for health care. There are other places such as Palomas, Mexico which is south of Deming, New Mexico and four more that I know of on the Texas border between El Paso and Laredo.

I'm not sure why some think it would be too political. We share other subjects that are just as political such as stealth parking which is down right illegal in most cities.

I think being able to share healthy ideas is needed. It could be added as Food, Cooking and Health ideas. After all, there is no good health without eating right. Using the word Health instead of Medical will take the edge off the subject. No one has to share what type of medications they are taking unless they choose to. There is nothing political about that.

By using Health instead of Medical we could share natural healing solutions which I'm sure many folks here would know little about.

It could also be merged as Personal Hygiene and Health Matters.

VanGirl

Tjaybird said:
i mean if i come across  way T.M.I.  re: noisy vibrators while reading a post, which is a subject i think is for private conversations and not public consumption, you don't see me pis**ng & moa**ng about it.             peace out,   texas jaybird    :rolleyes:

The post was in a thread was "Grown Up Talk About Van Sex"; I would think the title itself is warning enough for those who'd prefer not to read about such things.

I have extensive medical issues that affect pretty much every aspect of my life, and thus every aspect of vandwelling. I've been dealing with these for over a decade and been part of various forums and support groups throughout that time. For me personally, I'd prefer not to have a medical forum. I like how medical stuff simply fits in wherever it's relevant. Since it affects every aspect of vandwelling for me, every topic I can imagine already fits in to the established forums, which allows for discussion in a way that does not isolate the notion of seeking health from living life. For me, they're one and the same and it's normalizing to have it arranged such.

That said, this is why some forums use tags, so that someone could look up the "medical" tag and view all threads from all areas of the forum that have been tagged as relating to medical. That would make a lot of sense to me but can be a hassle to implement.

Health is probably my biggest concern with living this lifestyle. A house on wheels can be purchased for hundreds but a health problem can cost thousands or more. Being scammed by healthcare and having to pay for "insurance" is a touchy subject, but how can we learn if this life is feasible without understanding the risks?

I think Bitty makes a good point. Using tags might be a better way of getting information in general. Maybe we should encourage it.

I noticed the posting "Back to Square One" THIS was my reasoning, but since I received so much negative FB, I felt it would be better to let the issue die...

masterplumber said:
Not everyone would get that reference, but I've been known to use that line myself.  :D

The origin of that word, has its roots in Greece...