LP tank in van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
amwbox said:
What's most likely to leak, anyways? The tank itself, or the various hose joints and connections with points of use? Seems like the heaters, cooktops, hoses, regulators, etc would be more likely to leak than the tank itself. Why is it so important that the tank be outside if everything else remains inside, I assume hooked up?

The more connections, tees, and joints you have the more possible places to leak you have. If you have enough connections, and you use them long enough, sooner or later there WILL be a leak.

A properly engineered rig will have only the bare minimum possible leaks inside, only the actual connections to the cooktop, heater, etc.
Everything else, the tank, regulator, tees, unions, and so on are outside the living area.

It's far safer that way for three reasons:

Not everyone can smell leaking propane. Just as some people are color blind and some are tone deaf, a few people are just completely insensitive to the garlic odor they add to propane.

Even if you can smell it, if you are sound asleep, really deep sleep, the odor won't wake you in time before you are asphyxiated.

Propane is only explosive at certain proportions relative to the air. Propane leaking outside CAN'T explode, there is too little mixed with too much air to reach the necessary proportion. Inside your van. a leak can build to the point that a spark will cause the van to explode.

That's why the minimum number of necessary connections inside the van is the safest way to go.

Regards
John

If you accidentally knock over a propane bottle, no loss even if the stove is burning. If you accidentally knock over the kerosene, the spill is a fire if not only a bad odor.

Read http://propane101.com/

Next, you need to build an LP storage locker. Read both articles. I think you would be building one similar to the ehow "sealed box" version. You can also buy one already made from a boating supply store like West Marine or Defender Marine.

Building a Propane Locker for your boat

How to Build a Sealed Box for a Propane Tank

We will be using an old Hitchhaul carrier as the floor for our LP locker. It will be mounted under our bus with exterior access thru a side door. We will be carrying 5 to 6 20# LP tanks. Black Iron pipe will run the lenght of the bus with stubs to each of our LP appliances.

highdesertranger said:
coolmom just a heads up, here in kalifornia it's 12 years when they must be recertified. I just had to replace mine because of this, I could have gotten them recertified but it was cheaper to just buy new ones. highdesertranger

The dates may be longer for consumer use. But to ship them somewhere, as in put them on a semi-truck as freight, it's 5 years. Even empty, unless the valves are removed. DOT regulations per CFR 49.

Latest posts