LP tank in van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all the rv i have inspected, it would have to be at an extreme angle. roll-over territory.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
What you are seeing in the pictures is a true rv propane tank. It has the proper safety device built in so it can only be filled to 80% of it's volume, and it draws from the upper area, where the vapor is

The things the rest of us are using are technically not tanks, they are called propane CYLINDERS by the industry.

Vertical cylinders can only be used upright. Horizontal cylinders can only be used horizontally. With horizontal cylinders, they must be mounted so you are sure you are always drawing from the upper part, where the vapor is.

Btw, everything we use - stoves, lanterns, heaters, etc. - are designed to burn propane vapor. The internal combustion engines on propane forklifts don't run on propane vapor. They use the liquid propane instead of liquid gasoline, and horizontal forklift cylinders are DESIGNED to feed liquid propane from the bottom.

Obviously, we can NEVER use a forklift cylinder, even if someone gives us one for free.

Regards
John

I'd basically written off propane because A, stealth, and B, don't want to risk keeping it inside the van.

Mounting this true horizontal tank intrigues me, but I'd have to find a way to mount in such a way as to conceal the fittings/valves and such. Perhaps higher up and further back. Would make filling more difficult, but having that hardware exposed to plain sight is a no-go.

The rv tanks are usually referred to as ASME tanks. American Society of Mechanical Engineers. They are permanently mounted to the vehicle frame, and you have to go to a propane refilling station and have them filled on the vehicle.

On rvs, there is usually a hatch over them, which is opened for refilling, and otherwise does a pretty good job of concealing them from a casual observer.

Regards
John

amwbox, don't you mean, tanks for the info. btw which cascade is that in your avatar? looks like Shasta. highdesertranger

You must have been pretty high up. I've never seen it from that angle.

amwbox said:
You must have been pretty high up. I've never seen it from that angle.

In the National Forest, on the east side of the Hood River, about 6000' elevation.

Optimistic Paranoid said:
What you are seeing in the pictures is a true rv propane tank. It has the proper safety device built in so it can only be filled to 80% of it's volume, and it draws from the upper area, where the vapor is

The things the rest of us are using are technically not tanks, they are called propane CYLINDERS by the industry.

Vertical cylinders can only be used upright. Horizontal cylinders can only be used horizontally. With horizontal cylinders, they must be mounted so you are sure you are always drawing from the upper part, where the vapor is.

Btw, everything we use - stoves, lanterns, heaters, etc. - are designed to burn propane vapor. The internal combustion engines on propane forklifts don't run on propane vapor. They use the liquid propane instead of liquid gasoline, and horizontal forklift cylinders are DESIGNED to feed liquid propane from the bottom.

Obviously, we can NEVER use a forklift cylinder, even if someone gives us one for free.

Regards
John

Very good point about the differences in propane TANKS and propane CYLINDERS.

I'm a trained Hazmat shipper, and know a little about the cylinders:

They are a design certified by DOT to be used in normal shipping and transportation. Carriers are required to secure them against shifting in an accident. They are required to inspected---pressure tested---every 5 years. It is illegal for a propane retailer to fill an out of date cylinder. The expiration date is stamped on the collar.

Testing must be done by a DOT-approved vendor. Simple thing to do is buy a new tank every 5 years.

Go to a good gas retailer, like an Airgas store, and get a quality hose and fittings. Ask about lifetime of the hose. Leak-check every time you connect, and weekly if left connected. (This is how acetylene cylinders for welding are handled at my work.)

I would rather carry one inside the van, properly secured, than outside on a rear bumper. I've given this some thought, and if I use one, plan to build a box with a lid that can be very securely latched, and tie down the cylinder inside it. This both protects the cylinder, and keeps it from becoming a missile.

I would also recommend a vent from the bottom of the box to outside.

Propane detectors must be wired to a 12 V circuit and are a parasitic battery drain. I would rather rely on my leak-checking than a detector.

coolmom just a heads up, here in kalifornia it's 12 years when they must be recertified. I just had to replace mine because of this, I could have gotten them recertified but it was cheaper to just buy new ones. highdesertranger

I had 2 each 5 gallon propane cylinders that were out of date and I just used them as trades when I picked up 2 new cylinders at the Blue Rhino cage at the local AM/PM market. For $24.00 each I got new tanks and some propane too.

I see propane refills anywhere from $16 to $30 here locally. I have four 20lb cylinders and a 40lb. Time to fill them for the coming winter. I am still undecided about how to carry one on the van - inside but isolated and vented, or on a backdoor rack?
Inside is more secure against theft and collision damage. Outside doesn't take precious inside room and is marginally safer (unless in a collision).

LeeRevell said:
I see propane refills anywhere from $16 to $30 here locally. I have four 20lb cylinders and a 40lb. Time to fill them for the coming winter. I am still undecided about how to carry one on the van - inside but isolated and vented, or on a backdoor rack?
Inside is more secure against theft and collision damage. Outside doesn't take precious inside room and is marginally safer (unless in a collision).
I don't know what your roof is like - whether all the space is taken by vents, solar panels, etc.

If there is room for a roof rack, some of them could be carried horizontally up there. You just need to let them sit upright for a few minutes before you start using one.

Regards
John

I exchange old bottles for about $20. Getting a new bottle. Then have filled at propane dealer until I need a new bottle again. Dealer said Blue Rhino uses a special valve so only they can refill them. He cut a valve apart and found a magnetic valve, so made a cheater. The brand I get at hardware doesn't have this special valve.

The van will only use one 20lb tank - if I carry others for a longer trip they will ride in the trailer carrying my bike.
Main idea now is to remove the ladder from the right rear door (suspect it won't hold my weight anyway), and mount a tank rack there. I'll use aluminum expanded mesh for security.
Tucked into the back corner inside is another option, if I can seal and vent it.

What's most likely to leak, anyways? The tank itself, or the various hose joints and connections with points of use? Seems like the heaters, cooktops, hoses, regulators, etc would be more likely to leak than the tank itself. Why is it so important that the tank be outside if everything else remains inside, I assume hooked up?

Latest posts