Propane Storage

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrailerManNJ

Reaction score
Hey guys, happy new year's eve! Out of an abundance of safety (and my own OCD tendencies, lol), I've researched this topic to DEATH over the last few months. Seems opinions are about split online, in various forums, blogs, etc. So...

Is it safe to store propane tanks inside of a vehicle? If so, what about during extreme heat situations where the inside of a vehicle can easily exceed 95 degrees plus during the summer months?

According to everything I've read, it would be INCREDIBLY rare that a propane tank explodes (my biggest fear). More common (but equally dangerous) would be a leaky/broken valve, which would obviously create a hazard in a small enclosed space due to gas buildup.

On one side of the spectrum are the super cautious types, who advise to NEVER leave propane tanks stored in a vehicle. And on the other side are the actual nomads who do this every day of the year, 24/7/365.

For what it's worth, I plan on keeping a few of those small green Coleman propane tanks on hand, or perhaps some of those butane canisters (depending on stove choice).

Appreciate your two cents. Thanks!

I have two 5-gallon propane cans in the back of my van. They are tied down on a stand like is normally used on the front of a trailer. And also covered with a plastic cover meant for the bottles on the front of a trailer. I put the cover on to keep leaking propane out of the rest of the van, along with a two-inch hole I drilled under the cover through the floor to let any propane (which is heavier than air) fall out of the van and be gone.

You know those valves all propane tanks have a bit to the side are so that if the tank gets too hot causing the pressure inside to build too high, that valve will open enough to let propane escape until it's cool enough inside the tank again. The propane from that valve is the propane that needs to go down and out the hole I made. Plus I have a propane leak detector near the floor to warn me of a problem.

I keep forgetting to turn those tanks off before I take the van out, but I should just in case something happens on the road.