Longtime reader, sometime poster, ready to introduce myself :)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggwoman

Reaction score
Life turns on a dime, and so I find myself making drastic life changes and more quickly than anticipated. I'm a turmoil of emotions right now: exhilarated, filled with trepidation, a sense of awe, and more butterflies in my stomach than I have felt in decades. My desire to change my life and travel has been granted by the universe. More likely is that I am just so sick of the rat race that if I don't make a change now, I feel I will go mad. I'm one of those who has tried to do the "right" thing according to our society ie went into debt to get a degree, worked 35 years in my profession, bought a house etc., but I have always had a gypsy spirit too. It has been crushed, not obliterated, but crushed to the point I hardly know who I am anymore. My spirit cries out for Freedom, for sanity, for peace. I need the mountains, plains, forests, streams, open blue skies, thunderstorms. I need the wonder of Nature in all Her many ways. I think, I hope that some of you may understand.

Now I find myself about to make the big move, to jump off the cliff ready or not. The good: I have faith in myself and the Universe, my debts are paid in full, including my truck. I found a nice trailer (turn-key) in AZ which will be paid for in a another month, I put in my separation papers at work (can anyone say AMEN!, such a feeling of relief, bought my plane ticket and am downsizing and getting the house ready to sell. June 9 is D-day. The only sad thing is that I will have to place my beloved Husky-Malamute, Thor, into another's loving, but temporary home for the next 8 months. I will not feel as safe in the world without him. However, my two cats and Kingsley, the toy poodle will be traveling with me as we start our journey. And this is where it gets tricky and why Thor has to wait.

After being away from the mainland for decades, living on Pacific islands and in Hawaii I can't hardley remember the mainland anymore. My son and his family, who support me 1000%, are leaving for a 3 year stint in Germany this July (Army) and my sis in Oregon is unable to help from so far away. I am scared of LA. I was raised in N. California, in the country, a very different place.

I'm taking the red eye to LAX, arriving at 5 am and then need to find a way to Long Beach to pick up my truck at Matson at 8am. It's 35 minutes away (according to Google maps) but, so far car rentals are out as I cannot return the vehicle, (I need one of those self-driving cars about now) a pet taxi quoted me $275 to take us and that seems so extreme. I'm not rich by any means. I don't want to try moving three crates and two bags and myself by shuttle and try to walk it. Most shipyards aren't in the best parts of town. I am just hoping there will be a nice taxi to take us there for $80-100. I can't think of any other way. This is a costly move, even if I am not shipping any household things.

Once we have the truck and find our way out of the city, I plan on driving 6-7 hours straight to the Phoenix area, I believe it's on I-10? I'm concerned it will be too hot for the animals. Can only go by the historical temperature data. Will AC and bags of ice be enough to keep them safe? Where could we find a safe rest stop, or some shade and a little privacy to rest and refresh? This is going to be a 21 hour long day and I'm no spring chicken and they will need some down time, food, water, exercise etc. I have made motel reservations near Phoenix, so we will be fine once we get there. I will pick up the trailer the next day. The kind lady who is selling it to me will go over the systems and then I will go north to CO to see my Son and family before they go.

I lived in a very simple and primitive 15' trailer and a Ford cargo van set up before, it's just been so long. Now I want my internet and and a few comforts. I want to go solar. I'll need to live as cheaply and independently as possible for a year. Although I have an emergency fund, income will be 1/4 of my current. I need to work and save $ for Thor's travels. I pray my house sells quickly. I don't care about a profit, just to break even would be fine. If not, I guess I will become a reluctant landlady and let a property manager take care of business. If that mortgage can be gone, we will be fine living on a small pension. Next year will be even better - will have my ss too.

Any advice and support, encouragement, ideas etc will be very appreciated at this juncture. I'm not afraid, just don't feel like I know what options may be available in the LAX->Matson ordeal and keeping my fur kids safe and happy.

I've learned a lot from reading the boards. That's why even though I'm very shy, I feel that maybe someone here will know something I don't that may help us out. If you've read this far, thanks for 'listening',
Gretchen

Welcome aboard the CRVL/Vandweller forums Gretchen!
I'm a little too far away to be of any help with your immediate transportation needs but your overall plan seems doable.
LA to Phoenix is a long drive and I 10 is the most direct route.
Quartzsite or Ehrenberg might be good places to take a little rest .
Both are right off the interstate.
There might be some Vandwellers at one or both , as well as in the LA area.
Hopefully you get replies from them if they are.

Gretchen, I am teary reading your post, u are brave:) i started in this way of life by needing to leave a relationship also.smart to post and have people help problem solve. On phone can't type much now, but wanted to tell u my heart goes out to. U are right sometimes the universe throws us out of the nest:) sounds like u will soar! If I can be of any help would be glad to :)

Welcome out of the shadows and into the introduction forum! :D

Hope you keep us updated as you progress through your itinerary...what do you see yourself doing after CO?

Often times a Uhaul-type rental will offer 1-way service options where a normal car rental won't...might be worth looking at. Good luck!

Welcome to the CRVL forums ggwoman! It looks like you have planned everything out very well. I hope your house sells fast. With out that debt you'll be doing great with a pension and social security.

If possible consider breaking your trip to Phoenix into two days. It'll give you and your pets time to recuperate after the long plane ride and the hassle of getting out of LA.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome!   Best of luck in your travels. 

I wish I had advice to offer.

Might I suggest posting on some form of social media.  Offer to pay someone to give you a lift?  Hopefully someone will be helpful and cheaper than anything else.

I don't know what the rules are for Uber, but I have heard good things about them. Not sure if they take pets though. Maybe since they are crated...
Not sure when you are coming through, but I will be in Long Beach April 18 for a few weeks. If I can help, I would be happy to. I have a Tacoma Truck with a camper on the back, so lots of room for critters.

BradKW said:
Welcome out of the shadows and into the introduction forum!  :D

Hope you keep us updated as you progress through your itinerary...what do you see yourself doing after CO?

Often times a Uhaul-type rental will offer 1-way service options where a normal car rental won't...might be worth looking at.  Good luck!

Thanks Brad. After CO, it's on up to SD to register domicile, vehicles, me, see the sights and then wander slowly over to Oregon to camp on the N. Fork of the Burnt River, a place I left my heart a long time ago. Afters will go see my sis whom I haven't seen for 23 years and meet my grand nieces for the first time. After that, to the Oregon coast and pay my respects. then who knows? Free as a bird. :D Maybe come full circle and do the LTVA routine over the winter. A year will go by quickly!

I thought a uHaul would be great too, as they advertise the cargo van at 19.95 per day. However the UHaul closest to the airport said they don't have any cargo vans. :huh: Couldn't use the box vans with the fur kids.

bseek said:
I don't know what the rules are for Uber, but I have heard good things about them. Not sure if they take pets though. Maybe since they are crated...
Not sure when you are coming through, but I will be in Long Beach April 18 for a few weeks. If I can help, I would be happy to. I have a Tacoma Truck with a camper on the back, so lots of room for critters.

bseek,
Thanks for your offer! I come in on Friday, June 10, but don't know if this will work with your plans. I'm more than happy to pay your gas and time to assist us. The thought of all those cars and freeways is a bit unnerving after so many years in a slower environment, I can see I'm going to have to get used to a faster pace and bigger crowds at least for a while. Please msg. me if the time frames overlap.

BradKW said:
Probably worth continuing your searches...I see 7 Uhaul around airport and handful of Penske, one appears to operate right from airport: http://www.pensketruckrental.com/locations/california/inglewood/007162/?CID=GoogleMap

Been checking maps and rental locations. Looks easy enough to catch a shuttle at LAX to a rental car place, drive to the airline cargo and collect the animals, and then drive to Matson. To deliver it back to a sister rental site in Long Beach looks tricky. Matson's is located across the LA river from the rental agencies about a mile or so. Do they allow you to walk across the river using the freeways there? I don't see any other way to cross. Wish I knew this area better.

Yogidog said:
Gretchen, I am teary reading your post, u are brave:) i started in this way of life by needing to leave a relationship also.smart to post and have people help problem solve. On phone can't type much now, but wanted to tell u my heart goes out to. U are right sometimes the universe throws us out of the nest:) sounds like u will soar! If I can be of any help would be glad to :)

Aww, no need for tears. :( I'm so happy to be going on a real adventure, facing LIFE instead of facing drudgery. :D It feels so worthwhile already! I just gotta figure out these bumps in the road. I've never tried moving animals across the Pacific before and LA is a strange place to me. I so appreciate your support!!

To rent a vehicle costs $200+ due to the one way drop off fee of $125 (said drop off is still in an out of the way area from where I need to go). I checked several. SO that's out of the question. Looks like Uber may be the best way at $62 to navigate from LAX cargo to Matson. Good to know I won't have to drive that bunch of freeway spaghetti and can just be dropped off plain and easy by a person who knows where in heck they are. Thanks to BradKW and bseek for your suggestions and everyone for your support and encouragement. It means so much at a time like this.

Have you asked the person you're buying the truck from if he/she could pick you up at the airport. It doesn't seem unreasonable.

I wish you all the best. It's so exciting.

ilovemyvan said:
Have you asked the person you're buying the truck from if he/she could pick you up at the airport. It doesn't seem unreasonable.

I wish you all the best. It's so exciting.

I am shipping my truck from HI to LA. My pets and I are flying in. My new trailer is in Phoenix, AZ.
It's 3:22 am, I can't sleep for thinking of all that needs to be done to close up and dispose of a 23 year chapter of my life, so Yes! you betcha, it's exciting, if a bit overwhelming at the moment. Thanks for your good wishes ilovemyvan. It helps.