Living with kitty???????????

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZaphodandCats

Reaction score
Bob,,,, I have a question for ya.  I have watched so many of your videos, and learned so much about how to live "minimally" but there are 2 things TWO things that I have to ask, (and or complain) about.... I am a computer guy, with a 73 VW pop top (opening high in mid, low in front). Set up to pull a 14ft 71 Jaywren Jayco camper that I, yes I, have rebuilt (both literally from the ground up. Modifying them both to suit the way I want to live. Now please don't laugh (too hard anyway) I want to go to East Coast places where there have been sightings of Cryptids (Sasquatch, Dogman, and such) The van is equipped with a two burner stove 2.? fridge, sink and 10gals of water, and microwave, dual bats, and a 1250watt on board generator, with a 26inch monitor, 4 cam DVR system and Dell laptop. Now all that is coupled (seemlessly) with the Jaywren also with a 4 cam DVR, but also a gaming computer system (one that most gamers would drool over for hours), 40inch Toshiba monitor, full kitchen, 3.? fridge, toaster oven, 1000 watt microwave, 3 burner stove with oven. and 6000btu propane heater. 42cup coffee pot, and tools enough to fix almost anything that anyone needs fixed. It has a 3gal onboard air compressor, 13gals of water, (no gray, or black water tanks) dual bats, and 400watts (at 24v) solar power, along with 3500 watt (dual fuel) gas generator, (still have to watch what I turn on when of course) because what I do best is FIX things.
Now for the complaints????? I am planning on traveling to all these places with pets,,, and by pets (once again hold the giggles), I mean CATS and I mean 7 to 10 cats. 4 of them have and are comfortable with harnesses and gps tracking units.
Now, do you know anyone else that travels with more than on or two pets,,, and with the tech,, that I am planning on traveling with,,, and can you provide any (at all) ways to minimalize on what you now know about me??????????????  Thanks for all that you do for the RVing world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zaphod, of the Betelgeusian Beeblebrox clan, is that you?

Cryptids are much more common in the western states.

To be honest I think you should clarify your question. Are you looking for someone to join up with to help look after each others' pets?

And please post a link to the GPS cat trackers, that sounds very interesting.

All I can say is WOW!

First, that VW has no chance of surviving this trip pulling that much weight unless you pull the motor and put in a real engine. And I don't mean some 4 cylinder, a real engine.
Second, even if you drop a Chevy 350 in it, the VW has no chance of surviving the trip. You will be grossly overloading every element of it.

Dump the VW or give up on all your technology and go minimalist. Even then you will regret being in the VW.

The technology isn't the issue, it's the weight. Get a 1 ton truck or van and it can handle it no problem. I don't know anything about that trailer, but my guess is fitting all that stuff and it's wieght in it will be a major problem. It will probably be grossly overweight and dangerous as well.

Finally the cats. I don't know much about traveling with cats, but it's very hard for me to imagine that many cats in that small a space and their cat litter and their scat. But, if you can make it happen, that's up to you.

I've never heard of anyone with that many cats on the road.

You could just assemble your own cryptid using six cats and a roll of duct tape, and still have a cat to spare.

I grew up with cats...outside on 10 acres.... 13 at one time....

I bought a bag for my friend that says "One cat short of crazy".... and she only has one cat right now.... hmmmmm

I think you might want to check the animal laws in the states you plan to drive through? You never know, they may have space requirements (for in a home) that someone might report you for breaking (as it's the cat's home?)

My farm growing up had 30-50 grown barn cats, but it was a state of nature.

My aunt learned to spay rather than continuing to pat the vet his huge fees.

Get a decent van for the road for you to live in. Use the trailer as a home for the cats. All of this is going to be MUCH harder in the East than in the West. And much more EXPENSIVE.

Bob is right about the VW.

akrvbob said:
"... All I can say is WOW! ... I've never heard of anyone with that many cats on the road."

LOL...Thanks...that hit a funny bone...I'm trying to figure out how to handle just one...

Wow. I do not even have a rig yet and I only have two cat's that I am worried about traveling solo with. Good luck. Interested in following your travels.

tx2sturgis said:
Wow....one very unlikely post from the OP in 8 months....sounds like total BS to me. :dodgy:
Texas, no flies on you. 
Why not provide a link for a BS meter?  Seems many here could use one.

:rolleyes: Charlotte