Tiny House RV microwave surge took out my built in Surge Protector, 3 lights are: green, red and red flashing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The scary part is that a surge of electricity can physically burn the wires within your appliances (and your house). Even if they keep working after that, it's dangerous to run appliances with damaged wires.
How do you know it's safe?
You know you raise a very good point about your very wires, and this is a possible danger to you if they didn't put in sufficient gauge wires. Have your own electrician check for this, I think if you have any 240V outlets you'd need 12 gauge with a ground, 12-2 with a ground (black, white, copper) or even thicker. If they're thinner or aluminum I think those are insufficient.

I went to look at the wiring for your converter. it should be wired into the inside circuit panel. so I hope all breakers are labeled. if the main breaker is switched off. and the surge protector still will not pass with good lights displayed it most likely is the bad part in the system. i wish your system was setup to by pass the protector with in line plugin sockets. as a quick fix you could have it wired to bypass the protector until a new unit arrives. also when was the last time you checked your house battery, if it's 7 years old it may be time to replace it. what is the current voltage on it. either way some 12 volt devices may work until its discharged from not being charged by the converter. also if you do not have an electric oven or a electric dryer you may not need 240 volts going into the tiny house. what 240 volt appliances do you have. a simple 120 volt cord from the outside pole to inside may be a quick temporary fix for power.

also if your tiny home is wired for a generator you may be able to just plug into that connection for power. and if it is wired and if it's only a 30 amp connection, a 50 to 30 amp pig tail from Walmart should fix you right up for limited use.

Last edited:
I found a bit of info about your surge guard...and it looks like the red LED flashing light is telling you that it has failed. Too many 'hits', we might assume.

Seven years of protection, so maybe its time to replace it..beleive it or not, these things do need replacement if the total accumulated 'joules' of protection have been reached.

If it were me, I'd buy the same (or as close as you can find) model again, just to make it super easy to replace.

BTW...cute tiny house...hope you can get it fixed and move back in.

Attachments

• 34560-surge-guard.JPG
    34560-surge-guard.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 3
  • surge-guard-new.JPG
    surge-guard-new.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The problem was solved by the additional troubleshooting provided by an engineer at Southwire who stated:
............................. measure the voltage going into the unit at the top terminal strip of the device. You should get the below voltages:
Black to White 120 v
Black to Green 120 v
Red to White 120 v
Red to Green 120 v
White to Green zero v
Black to Red 240 v
If you do NOT get those readings, you may have a bad voltage supply which needs attention.
If you DO get those readings, the device most likely has an issue.

My device passed the added testing............ once the electrician repaired the ACTUAL issue, which wasn't at MY pedestal (although he replaced the breakers and receptacle there first), but actually at my neighbors pedestal. The park had him replace the whole thing, including the power company's meter. After that, my surge protector passed and the lights are all green now, my microwave works, all is good!
Although I bought the direct replacement (Model 35550 for $238, same size and identical wiring) AND the new plug and play optional remote monitor (Model 40300 for $98), I was careful to buy from Amazon, AND where it said "Free returns" so returns without question.
I did pay $75. for the electricians troubleshooting, but I believe I can rightly ask manager for a refund. I was unable to live in my Tiny House for a week....but as a snowbird "RV"'er we pay our lot rent fully one year in advance....getting any rebate from that might be a struggle.
Thanks to all who responded!

Wow! Glad to hear that you are back in 'bidness'!

Thanks for the closure...most of the time we never hear about the ending.

👍