Tiny House RV microwave surge took out my built in Surge Protector, 3 lights are: green, red and red flashing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newlyretired

Reaction score
Hi,
My Tiny house has no manuals and was a one of a kind that I bought from a 3rd party (long story). I have wintered in it for 7 years now. I overloaded the circuit I guess! Ive had to move out because I have no power or water (pump is 12v).I have 50 amp, I turned all off and waited, turned back on and no power. No breakers popped.
I got a residential electrician to check the park's electric box and that checks out ok. He is suggesting replacing the surge guard rv power protector (2013 model 34560) . I have removed the microwave. Should i just buy the new replacement for like $300. and try that?
Neither he or I understand the interplay of the 50 amp line and the built in inverter (which gives me 12v for my Dometic refrigerator and my atwood instant hot water).
Im on and off my laptop here at the park so im sorry if i dont check your replies for a few days. Couch surfing now.....its a rough patch for me at 71 years old I'm pretty stressed out at this point! Thanks for any electrical help or opinions out there. Im on the verge of just buying the item and trying that....hopefully its the fix. If it isnt, i would be out the money and still unable to live in it. Travel RV repair ppl are not electricians, and would be just guessing.....
thank you!

Have you tried to plug the microwave into another power source? RV electronics are not all that complicated once everything is known about what is what. A certified electrician should easily be able to diagnose your issue. Technically, you don't need a surge protector, but they are a good idea as they can save other equipment from getting damaged from the grid power. In a pinch, an electrician can bypass the unit to get you back up and running. If an electrician has determined that power going into unit is good, then it is very plausible that the surge unit is bad.

The scary part is that a surge of electricity can physically burn the wires within your appliances (and your house). Even if they keep working after that, it's dangerous to run appliances with damaged wires.
How do you know it's safe?

The plugs, ceiling lights and fans didn't work, I didn't check any 12 volt item. I suppose I should also order a converter replacement as well....for when the electrician comes back to swap out the surge protector.

Did the electrician just look at the park’s box? Did he look at your system?
I didn’t realize RV repair people can’t do electricity/power troubleshooting… you’d think that would be pretty important, and if nothing else a good skill to have.
Isnt there a tiny house association or organization that might have contacts of contractors, tiny home experts, in your location? I thought there was something like that. I’ll check

https://tinyhomeindustryassociation.org/map/

Hopefully you’re in a state that is listed

If you can find a builder in your area, that might be a good place to start. Even if the builder can’t do it, they should have names of people or be able to direct you to a resource. Or they might be able to just identify the problem right away. Call several and I’m sure there’s some good soul.

The surge won't technically toast your wires, more often the surge fries the electronic circuit boards. But these protectors also protect against things like reverse polarity and stuff. so yes, they are highly recommended. If the electrician that looked at your problem couldn't diagnose the issue and is having you just replace components willy nilly, then you need to find another electrician. I'm an electrician and would love to help you, but this is an issue I'd probably need to be on site with my meters and testers.

I personally have had more problems/damage with surge protectors than line surges. I have had surge protectors go bad and do damage. You will need to have things checked by an electrician after removing or replacing the surge protector. I no longer use one. Just my personal preference but then again I don't have many high dollar electrical appliances.

The plugs, ceiling lights and fans didn't work, I didn't check any 12 volt item. I suppose I should also order a converter replacement as well....for when the electrician comes back to swap out the surge protector.
You should wait to see if it's actually bad before buying a new one. As mentioned above, you need a qualified person to accurately diagnose what is wrong.

Last edited:
He is a licensed electrician in Arizona (im in Wickenburg) and yes, he used his tester meters at both ends...the breaker and plug at the park pedistle , my recepticle at the outside junction, as well as the in and out sides of the surge protector.....very thorough tests at every possible juncture. After all that and restarting, the red lights remain as before and 120v things continue to not be energized. So the power doesnt come out of the protector over to my circuit breaker box. I feel like the surge protector's multiple tripping took the unit to the failure level.
He did say I should buy the replacement on Amazon (and one not made in China like that one was) so if the new one doesnt solve the riddle, I can return it. He seems to be very knowledgeable about normal household electrical, but just not RV savvy. The inverter converter would only affect my hot water or refrige, the rest of my Tiny is very conventional household construction.

Attachments

• porch  down left.jpg
    porch down left.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 4
this is a link to your surge protector. https://manuals.heartlandowners.org...rd/TRCI Portable Surge Guard Instructions.pdf it shows the display lights and what they mean. you should be able to by pass the protector with your power cord if it's not hard wired into the RV or tiny home. some other device when powered provides your 12volt supply. the protector supply's power to both 115v plugs and the inverter or converter for 12v devices.

Licensed electricians are suppose to know all things from mobile homes to motor controls. This should be an easy diagnosis. If they did the troubleshooting work and says it's the surge protector, then I would trust them and buy a good quality replacement. Or have them rewire it to bypass the surge protector if you don't actually need it.

Troubleshooting ANY whole house surge protection........including this one.......should START by

Removing the LINE......Unplugging the RV

Removing all loads........Flip all the coach breakers OFF

Now plug it back in.....this unit takes up to two minutes to "boot up".......

If the unit comes up then start flipping breakers ON to determine any faults

If it does NOT come to life there are fault lights on the unit to observe and interpret..........via the PDF

.....................And there's a HELP Phone # last page

Q to Wickenburg looks to be 200 miles round trip............Paulette's not gonna like that.......hope you fix-it.......

this is a link to your surge protector. https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/manuals/Electrical/Electical Mgmt System - Surge Guards/TRCI Surge Guard/TRCI Portable Surge Guard Instructions.pdf it shows the display lights and what they mean. you should be able to by pass the protector with your power cord if it's not hard wired into the RV or tiny home. some other device when powered provides your 12volt supply. the protector supply's power to both 115v plugs and the inverter or converter for 12v devices.
the link i posted is wrong. it's a different model. the surge protector you have is a hard wired version. 1 light for ac power to the protector must be on. 1 fault led, if displayed it blinks. and line1 and line 2 both are the hot wires from the pedestal. both have to be green for the protector to work. the outher side of the protector will go to your ac breaker box. so you could try turning off all breaker box circuits. then recycle the power at the pedestal (unplug and plug in) waiting 2 minutes then check the protector to make sure it's display is either green led for the line 1 and 2 and it;s working, or if not the protector is senseing something wrong. it may be a bad protector or wiring. i suggest you have normal 240volt plug in socket's added in line with any surge protector. that way you can remove it for testing for power. with all the breakers turned off the protector should have voltage on both sides of it, and it should display as good if it works correctly.

Thanks for your thorough replies! The electrician did all the things mentioned, and more. Out of an abundance of caution he replaced the 240v recepticle and the 4 circuit breakers, and rewired the whole park pedistle.
After that he tested my electric cord, both ends.
Then he tested my surge protector at both of its ends. The lights remain: green, red, and flashing red. No power going over to my inside panel.
I forwarded the correct manual to him just now. Thanks.
I'll wait on placing the Amazon order until he revisits and can review in the order stated and wait those minutes etc.
I should mention, during the whole process....none of my inside circuit breakers tripped, nor did any of the 12v fuses.... the protector with red lights does not allow any current to pass.
I attached some older pictures of the 2 boxes mounted under my futon. Not sure if the converter might figure in, could it come into play at all?
I am really anxious for his visit next week, it would be so great if I can avoid buying a new protector....the redesigned replacement model is $326. Progressive Industries HW50C Hardwired EMS Surge & Electrical Protection- 50 Amps
Thanks all who have weighed in on the subject!

Attachments

• 45 AMP POWER CONVERTER TO 12V DC.JPG
    45 AMP POWER CONVERTER TO 12V DC.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220129_180634.jpg
    20220129_180634.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 7
  • how the converter protects itself and circuits.JPG
    how the converter protects itself and circuits.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 7
Hi,
My Tiny house has no manuals and was a one of a kind that I bought from a 3rd party (long story). I have wintered in it for 7 years now. I overloaded the circuit I guess! Ive had to move out because I have no power or water (pump is 12v).I have 50 amp, I turned all off and waited, turned back on and no power. No breakers popped.
I got a residential electrician to check the park's electric box and that checks out ok. He is suggesting replacing the surge guard rv power protector (2013 model 34560) . I have removed the microwave. Should i just buy the new replacement for like $300. and try that?
Neither he or I understand the interplay of the 50 amp line and the built in inverter (which gives me 12v for my Dometic refrigerator and my atwood instant hot water).
Im on and off my laptop here at the park so im sorry if i dont check your replies for a few days. Couch surfing now.....its a rough patch for me at 71 years old I'm pretty stressed out at this point! Thanks for any electrical help or opinions out there. Im on the verge of just buying the item and trying that....hopefully its the fix. If it isnt, i would be out the money and still unable to live in it. Travel RV repair ppl are not electricians, and would be just guessing.....
thank you!
Hi: I'd say get another lower power microwave. Some of the high wattage ones are hazardous, some catch fire. I've had two flame up, they were the high wattage types. Now I just wait longer to heat things with a wimpier microwave and no problems. The 50 amp line should split into several 15A or 20A circuits which are then connected to your inverter, as is done with say landscaping lights or a doorbell in a regular house. You should get an electrician for your business end of the panel, where it puts you and your equipment at risk.