Trying out 'Van life' my way

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatajer

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I have aspirations of traveling CA/US in a Transit/Sprinter/Promaster Van, potentially Tiny living (either Van/Shipping container home/custom mobile trailer)  but quickly realized I don't know if that's the life for me. Looking into this world people recommend just trying it out with what you have.

I have a 2004 CRV which I have decided to do 5 weekend trips in 2020 to see how I like it. The conversion has started...

I know people say to start simple, however for me, 60% of the fun is logistics, customizing, building and THEN using your designs and see how well you fair.

The lofty goal:
- Enough room for 2, an e-bike, a paramotor and wing.
- enough electricity to power any appliance I need (kettle, induction top, 12v cooler?) 2.4kw of power, 315watt solar.
- running water
- outdoor lighting, drawer lighting, circulation fans.
- < 100 hours of work.

I understand it's not really 'cheap' RV living, but I want to optimizing my spending. THIS IS afterall an experiment to see if I like it. For Electrical, it's a home system, so if I retire the Van life, it can all be used in my home! wood/screws/bolts, lighting, fans, switches/wiring, etc. are components I have laying around. 
For example, Victron 360w DC-DC charger is $350CDN, I'm rigging up a makeshift 200w DC-DC charger for $50.

Outside of Electrical, my budget is to stay under $600 but will realistically be $1000. So far $300. which includes 2 new pans and induction cooktop.

8 hours in so far.
That's my story so far. crazy?Thanks!

Attachments

• 60722720628__75365BAD-F273-439A-B00E-7294608AD68D (1).JPG
    60722720628__75365BAD-F273-439A-B00E-7294608AD68D (1).JPG
    710.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 60721717917__B56A2899-749B-4FFA-88BB-061473431E09 (1).JPG
    60721717917__B56A2899-749B-4FFA-88BB-061473431E09 (1).JPG
    614.3 KB · Views: 11
Welcome to the CRVL forums tatajer! It's looking good already! keep us updated!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I think for me the dream exceeds the reality. I will spend time building something out then find an excuse to not go anywhere, but instead start a different build. I have an old Class A with a diesel, old van converted, 22' travel trailer, and a 1 ton dually diesel with a full size camper on it. I now think I need a small cargo trailer. The dream lives on. The reality for me is I like to build things more than use them. If I enjoyed travel, I would probably be doing that instead of building. People travel the world with just a back pack, or what they can fit onto a bicycle.

you are going to be a turtle climbing up into the mountains with an overloaded 4 cylinder vehicle. You might want to scale it back a bit. Start by figuring out the weight of everything and then looking at the weight capacity of the vehicle. You are going to have a full tank of gas, water, batteries, toys, food, wood cabinetry a bunch of electrical appliances and another person. You also need clothes, bedding including a mattress, etc.

Big dream....small engine.

Fortunately you have time to take a real look at the weight of everything. Get busy with weighing things and filling in a spreadsheet so you have a better way to analyze the priority items versus what you can do without.

Welcome to the forum! You will want to see if someone has put up a youtube video build out similiar to yours, helps to get ideas. Some things seem like great ideas then you see the dweller hit their shins on part of the build and decide that you want to do it differently. 

I recommend cooking outside the van, you do not want all that wet in there cos it makes mold. My 2 cents.  -crofter

maki2 said:
you are going to be a turtle climbing up into the mountains with an overloaded 4 cylinder vehicle.  You might want to scale it back a bit. Start by figuring out the weight of everything and then looking at the weight capacity of the vehicle. You are going to have a full tank of gas, water, batteries, toys, food, wood cabinetry a bunch of electrical appliances and another person. You also need clothes, bedding including a mattress, etc.

Big dream....small engine.

Fortunately you have time to take a real look at the weight of everything. Get busy with weighing things and filling in a spreadsheet so you have a better way to analyze the priority items versus what you can do without.

Thanks..I already knew I will have to do some weight reduction on the cabinetry, it adds up quickly.
First stab:
MAX WEIGHT 1013lbs

Back seats -100lbs
spare tire floor -15lbs
plywood 1/4 - 4x8 25lbs
Plywood 1/2 - 4x8 48lbs
Plywood 3/4 - 4x8 144lbs
drawer runners 15lbs
lbs
Solar Panel 40lbs
Charge Controller 24.5lbs
Battery 10KW 110lbs