LED bulbs won't work with standard RV light fixture.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Awesome Inch

Reaction score
Tonight I tried to set up one of my 12v RV lights and it did not work. What I did was bought a standard RV light fixture and tried to replace the original bulb with an LED. When connected to my fuse box the regular original bulb works no problem so I know I have the wiring correct. However, the LED bulb would not turn on. I have two RV light fixtures and two different LED bulbs and I went thru all the combinations and no matter what the LED bulbs would not work. When I look at the bottom of the LED bulbs I see two solder points, but on the original bulb there is only one contact point. Could that be it?

The regular bulb is pictured on the left and the LED is pictured on the right. This is the light fixture I was trying to use with the other LED.

nQAR3DV.jpg

Any ideas what the problem is?

Ah nuts! I know what the problem is. The LEDs I have two contact points on the bottom... one pos, one negative. I need bulbs that have a single contact point.

Well, at least I solved it myself!

:p :p :p

One Awesome Inch said:
Ah nuts! I know what the problem is. The LEDs I have two contact points on the bottom... one pos, one negative. I need bulbs that have a single contact point.

Well, at least I solved it myself!

:p :p :p

Yep, you need a ba15S base and you bought a Ba15D.

Looks for LEDs with 1156 in the description, not 1157.

The ground is the metal base of the bulb.  the 1157 on an incandescent bulb has two filaments.  One for the running light, one for the turn signal/ braking filament. that is why it has 2 contacts on the bottom

Those 1157 LEDS you bought would be a horrible replacement in an actual taillamp.

LEDs never seem to use the  incandescent reflector properly.  Perhaps try one which has all the LEDs facing downward:

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Stars-11...=UTF8&qid=1439280122&sr=8-7&keywords=1156+LED

Perhaps these:

http://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Brigh...280490&sr=8-11&keywords=universal+++5730+chip

LED bulbs with the 5730 chips seem to be the current brightest options 

http://www.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Lum...439280273&sr=8-4&keywords=1156+LED++5730+chip

yep. you have a turn/parking bulb. wrong bulb is the problem.

Let me clarify.

You can buy the inexpensive, unregulated LED's off of ebay and if it doesn't work when first plugged in, turn it over for the right polarity.

The more expensive regulated LED's don't have this issue.

The 2 contacts on the bottom are both positive, with the metal base being the negative ground. Those bulbs 'can' be made to work if you have a soldering iron. Just connect the 2 positives together with a piece of wire (just have to melt the lead that the contacts are made of and place the wire in) and you're good to go. I had one kicking around that I had no other use for and did that.. works fine. ..Willy.