LED lights strip above the sliding door of my Weinsberg Carabus not working

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0zz1

Reaction score
Hi All, new to this forum so hoping this is posted to the right place?

I bought 2021 Weinsberg Carabus last May and since I bought it it had a problem when Im trying to put the outdoor lights on that are on top of the sliding side door. When pushing the button at the control panel inside the lights blink once but wont stay on. Now I would really like to fix this issue, however not sure where to start. One friend suggested that it is the control panel that needs to be replaces (expensive) another suggested its the actually LED strip that needs to be replaced. Any ideas?

Electrical things usually work or they totally don’t. The fact the led lights light temporarily to me indicates they are good, therefore I would be looking at the power source or switch that turns them on. This is just an ignorant old man’s guess. Results may vary! lol!!!

Do not take anything apart just yet. The fix might be as simple as a longer push on the button.

Did you try to find the manual for those lights? Sometimes a long push of about 10 seconds can reset the controller. You might have accidentally gone into an alternate setting. But obviously it is still receiving power and responding to a touch. So hopefully that means you should be able to reset it back to the original factory setting so it turns on and off with a single 10 second or so push.

Last edited:
I have tried to push it various times, perhaps not as long as 10 seconds so will try that. I do have a massive big manual of the car but I think there wasnt anything about the light but I will need to check again.

Welcome to the Van & RV living forum Ozz1.

The switch (probably the problem) you are describing sounds like a "double acting push button switch" which has a locking function built into it. Push it once the circuit turns on and the lock keeps it on. Push it again a second time and the lock releases allowing the the circuit to turn off. It sounds to me like the lock in that switch has either worn out or broken. I'm sure those lights get a lot of use and the switch a lot of wear. Have you pushed the switch and held it down to observe if the lights stay on while you are holding the switch button down ? If the lights stay on that way....there's your answer.

This is how I would approach trouble shooting the problem.

Good luck

Welcome to the Van & RV living forum Ozz1.

The switch (probably the problem) you are describing sounds like a "double acting push button switch" which has a locking function built into it. Push it once the circuit turns on and the lock keeps it on. Push it again a second time and the lock releases allowing the the circuit to turn off. It sounds to me like the lock in that switch has either worn out or broken. I'm sure those lights get a lot of use and the switch a lot of wear. Have you pushed the switch and held it down to observe if the lights stay on while you are holding the switch button down ? If the lights stay on that way....there's your answer.

This is how I would approach trouble shooting the problem.

Good luck
ok finally got the van from winter storage and I did try this but no luck, from the control panel as soon as I push the button the control panel flight comes on and stays on but the actual light just blinks, no matter how long I keep on pushing the button (see photo). Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20240411_150133.jpg
    20240411_150133.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 0
Since the indicator light is on and the lights flash indicates to me most all components are working but the lights are not staying connected to the power source most likely due to a failed component or interrupted circuit in the control circuit not keeping them on would be my uneducated guess. Without removing the panel or checking power outputs and the circuit board itself it is just a guess. Unfortunately the way most circuit boards are checked by “technicians” is to replace them with a known good components which if done by a private individual voids any possibility of returning them once they are purchased. Best to take it to a dealer as they maybe able to test and assume the liability if they use their part hopefully. If you replace components most likely they won’t be returnable and the lights may still not work. Just my experiences and opinion which is a sad statement on the majority of the state of the industry. Hope you get lucky!

You should probably contact the manufacturer. A 2021 might still be under warranty. And if not, they can probably tell you what's going on.

They might try to get you in for paid service. But it's worth trying.

Sorry you didn't have any luck with that.

I was hoping it was just a switch but seeing that photo suggest it's a much more complicated control device.

I once had a Honda Accord where the instrument panel lights quit burning. The dealer wanted $36 dollars for a new replacement module and $85 to replace it. A wrecking yard wanted $15 for a used one. I went to a friend I grew up with who worked at a TV station as an engineer and he took it apart and found a simple little transistor had burnt out. He replaced the transistor and it worked again. The transistor cost $1.40 and was good as new when I put it back together. But that was back in a day and time where you could still work on such things.

So unless you would have some friends who are qualified electronics tech's who would be willing to help you, it looks like doing some research as Camper suggest and talking with someone at the company who made that lighting system.

Are these LED's dimmable ?

Sorry you didn't have any luck with that.

I was hoping it was just a switch but seeing that photo suggest it's a much more complicated control device.

I once had a Honda Accord where the instrument panel lights quit burning. The dealer wanted $36 dollars for a new replacement module and $85 to replace it. A wrecking yard wanted $15 for a used one. I went to a friend I grew up with who worked at a TV station as an engineer and he took it apart and found a simple little transistor had burnt out. He replaced the transistor and it worked again. The transistor cost $1.40 and was good as new when I put it back together. But that was back in a day and time where you could still work on such things.

So unless you would have some friends who are qualified electronics tech's who would be willing to help you, it looks like doing some research as Camper suggest and talking with someone at the company who made that lighting system.

Are these LED's dimmable ?
They are not dimmable lights.

Latest posts