Faster Car Charging for portable power station

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SierraCamper

Reaction score
Thought I would share what we did to help with the charging of our our Bluetti portable power station. This would work if your portable power station can accept a 24volt input.

I originally tried building this setup using a cigarette plug and a 12V to 24V 10 amp converter but it was to much amperage for the cigarette receptacle. After talking with several knowledgeable folks, they all indicated the little 10amp unit that puts out a max 240 watts, will get really hot running at 200 watts continuous. They suggested replacing it with the larger 20 amp 480 watt unit and to run the wire directly from my battery to the converter inside our van.

The picture shows what I used to build the current setup. DC/DC 12V to 24V Boost Converter rated at 20amps and 480 watts. (this step up converter is about 45.00) I then used a negative Bus Bar, terminal lugs, heat shrink tubing, 30 amp breaker, battery disconnect switch, Black and Red 4 Gauge Battery cable, plenty of 1/2" split loom. (one for red and one for black) and some Butt splices.

I wired a short 4 gauge positive wire from the battery to the the breaker which was mounted under the hood next to the battery. The black negative wire runs from the battery to the bus bar and then into the converter. I used the Bus Bar since the battery cable is 4 gauge and the converter wire is only 10 gauge. The red positive wire runs from the breaker to a battery disconnect switch. I did this so I could turn off power going to the converter when not needed. I then spliced a wire from the converter to an Anderson Powerpole connector and then to a 8mm barrel connector which goes to our portable power stations input. Our Bluetti unit accepts 24v input and therefore now charges at 200 watts instead of the 100 watts at the cigarette plug. (note: I didn't use the Maxi fuse shown in the bottom of the picture)

Attachments

• File_001.jpeg
    File_001.jpeg
    445 KB · Views: 10