Learning all I can

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,
  I live in Brooklyn,NY and have been thinking of converting my Subaru Forester into a camper. I've been watching videos and making lists of what I need to do. I will hopefully be retiring next year and would love to see this beautiful country. I'm no mechanic so this will be a learning curve. I'd love to put some solar in and use the space to the best I can. 
Nice to be here and hopefully on the road with in a years time :)

Bonnie

Welcome! I am in the same boat being mechanically disinclined lol. I have found that my little hatchback can be set up for travel by just laying the seats down and using folded towels and comfy blankets strategically placed to even out all the odd angles and uncomfortable parts.

There are also cool portable power station setups where you can by the unit and a solar panel for it that connects directly into it and you are ready to go, can have the panel mounted to your car if you like or you can set it out in the sun yourself with an included stand.

These setups are not cheap tho and you could def save some money with a more diy approach but still an option! Ive used little portable power stations before to great effect and I am going invest in upgrading to a nicer setup with a bigger battery.

Use youtube to find other peoples car setups for inspiration and have fun dreaming up your perfect setup.

A forester sounds like it will be perfect for traveling.

Wishing you luck!

Welcome, Bonnie, and congrats on being so close to retirement! Wishing you well on your preps.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Bonnie!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

namenlos86 said:
Welcome! I am in the same boat being mechanically disinclined lol. I have found that my little hatchback can be set up for travel by just laying the seats down and using folded towels and comfy blankets strategically placed to even out all the odd angles and uncomfortable parts.

A forester sounds like it will be perfect for traveling.

Wishing you luck!
Hi and thank you! I was looking into rooftop tents, also expensive for a tent but it would certainly give me plenty of room. I also was looking into towing a motorcycle camper. Small enough for a Subaru and it actually opens pretty big, with a sitting area and separate sleeping area, they are made by Time Out. I've seen stand alone tent shower things, which I could put a porta potty in, that's an option too. I've always worked and now it's time to get out and see this country and just enjoy myself :)

Bonnie

Welcome to the CRVL Forum  :)

Let me invite you to view my two websites below.  One will explain entry level Vans that would get you out there in nicer weather,   trailers that would work in concert with the Van to extend your outdoor stays or travels, and even converting a older car for those with very little money.  The other is a catalog of useful information you could learn a lot from either before you go on the road or studying and planning before going on the road.  

All the best !

If i was you....

My power system would stay at 1 AGM or lithium battery. No fridge and quality cooler. 20A renogy DC to DC charger for backup.

Now a trailer hitch and a 4x8 enclosed trailer. In there is a shower, tools, spare parts, my kitchen and general storage. 20lb propane tank on tongue. 2 x 160w amazon panels on roof of trailer. Park car in shade and run an extension cord to car for 120v power. Have a 10x10 canopy to hang out under.

Sleep in back of subaru.

BrooklynGalTravels said:
Hi and thank you! I was looking into rooftop tents, also expensive for a tent but it would certainly give me plenty of room. I also was looking into towing a motorcycle camper. Small enough for a Subaru and it actually opens pretty big, with a sitting area and separate sleeping area, they are made by Time Out. I've seen stand alone tent shower things, which I could put a porta potty in, that's an option too. I've always worked and now it's time to get out and see this country and just enjoy myself :)

Bonnie

Honestly if I didn't spend much time in cities I would prob get one of those motorcycle camper things myself because they are really cool. I def think its important to define for yourself how much space works best for you. We all have different styles of nomading.

Whenever you get a setup post a pic!

Hi, Bonnie,

I was looking at a Forester as a step up from my previous set-up of a hatchback and a tent. It looks very doable.

With all the food, bedding, and cookware, I wasn't able to fit in the car, so the tent was great. A 3-4 oerson dome that provided enough shelter for a bed, clothing, and my computer. What else does one need, really?

But, alas, nature calls at the most inconvenient times, and I don't like walking around in the dark to find her. So, now, I have a tiny teardrop trailer with enough room to accommodate those issues, and offer me a little more protection from the elements. It gets harder to elevate from the ground in the middle of the night as we age. lol The bucket system I've set up is compact, and odor free, and indoors. Ah, convenience.

I bought a countertop ice-maker to run off my car battery and to chill my 5-day cooler. No fridge needed, nor solar panels to keep it going. It only draws 110 watts, and can make a pound of ice in an hour. Not bad, I'd say, and cheaper than buying it every few days. And, if kept in a container, can be used as fresh water for drinking, or refrozen instead of tossed on the ground as 'dirty.' Bonus is that your food isn't swimming in water. No muss, no fuss.

Pocket-sized brick batteries charge phone, tablet, immersible shower pump, headlamp, radio, headphones, a fan, and fairy lights. Yes, all of them run off usb, and don't take forever to charge, either. Recharging them all, including the bricks, off the car, or in a library or coffee shop is the plan when I''m moving.

The tent is optional, but really, really nice to have in better weather, and on good land to pitch it. I never slept so well, knowing that every day ahead was mine alone. lol

Consider all your options, but don't buy until you try. Keep it to the basics. You can always add on later.

Happy trails!

Oz

Ozmyrrah said:
Consider all your options, but don't buy until you try. Keep it to the basics. You can always add on later.

Hello Bonnie BrooklynGalTravels Welcome to CRVL Forum. 
My farther grow up in Bay Ridge  :)
I agree with Oz. I'm just starting out and have a 4x8 TTT (tiny travel trailer) I'm pulling behind a Honda Civic. I don't have a fridge or cooler and I'm learning I don't need one. I don't have a house battery or solar setup ether but I going to be working on getting some thing soon. being able to run electronics when ever I want will be a luxury on the road. 
My advice is to keep it simple. With a lot of stuff you will not know what you need or want until you are out on the road trying it out. 

Good luck with your Subaru Forester and enjoy the journey.    

p.s. I'm jealous of your Forester it would be so much better then a Civic   :blush:

The Subaru Forester is capable of towing the small 13 foot fiberglass travel trailers. Those will give you a bed, a table, storage space, a cooktop, a fridge, etc. Just watch that out don't try to take everything with you as the weight adds up quickly. Adopt this mantra to chant as you make decisions...need versus want.

Latest posts