Law related needs on the road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freded

Reaction score
Good morning all, I'm a semi-retired lawyer. In order to keep my bar membership (Texas, Virginia, and Alaska) current, I have to complete continuing legal education in pretty much any legal topic I would like. I do van/camper living several months out of the year and I am looking for an area of law where there is a van life need. I'm not looking to make a bunch of money off of it but I do think that if there is a need, this is my opportunity to make a contribution. Does anyone have an area of law where you see there is a need for folks who are traveling around enjoying life on the road? My prior life was criminal (prosecution) courtroom practice so I have lots of flexibility. Thanks Fred

In broad terms, consumer fraud, product liability, false advertising. Folks that travel see more of this as we often are at the mercy of those who specialize in vehicle service in a strange town.
You asked so for me that's a sensitive area. Even if it was a clearing house for legal advise referral in X state would be helpful, and pro bono for the later a bonus.

Subscribed to this thread......

Not sure criminal prosecution is an area most of us need expertise in; but, if you are looking in the other direction, how about helping with the issue of needing a physical address to obtain a license, vote, and obtain legal insurance.

1. I would say carrying a firearm as you travel is a big one, just crossing a state line with a legal gun may be a felony.
2. Also where you can and cannot park for the night, Walmart used to be a safe place to spend the night, but more and more are off limits to overnight parking.
3. Towing speed limits, some states have different speed limits for people towing a trailer.
4. Covid restriction, just how far can the Government go with this.

I am sure there are more.

Not sure criminal prosecution is an area most of us need expertise in; but, if you are looking in the other direction, how about helping with the issue of needing a physical address to obtain a license, vote, and obtain legal insurance.
I agree I hope to not need your "criminal prosecution", service. LOLOLOLOL

The only thing I can think of personally is concealed carry and weapons charges for people traveling in the US. Other than that, I don't do drugs, I don't carry huge sums of cash with me, living in a vehicle makes that impractical, and it wouldn't be cost effective to use an attorney to sue for anything less than $10,000.

Traffic and policing, as in tickets and frequent discrimination by cops, even states. It can get tough out there and a veteran criminal prosecutor can come in handy. You know where things can go and the many games you/they can play to avoid major long term issues.

Until our government stands up and enforces the Constitution on many of these rouge states the people will get screwed. We have way too many varying and contradictory laws state to state. Its a loose loose for citizens, especially those with out a permanent address.

I might say that possibly the most effective means of channeling your desires might be best served on the advocacy front instead of in the defense front. You surely can not be the only attorney who travels in their RV, and education, advocacy and the changing of hearts is the place where real change occurs. Mostly, THANK YOU ! for your willingness to serve those most in need .

Thanks for your offer Fred. One issue of interest is getting insurance (e.g. vehicle, belongings) for full-time nomads.

1. I would say carrying a firearm as you travel is a big one, just crossing a state line with a legal gun may be a felony....

The only thing I can think of personally is concealed carry and weapons charges for people traveling in the US....
There are federal laws designed to protect firearm owners when traveling. Yes, some states have more restrictive laws regarding what guns or even ammo are not allowed, and how firearms have to be cased etc for transport in some locales, but there are good websites that can tell you those things, same for what states have reciprocal concealed carry agreements with other states permits. Its not quite as vague and intimidating to find out as seems to be sometimes stated online.

Does anyone have an area of law where you see there is a need for folks who are traveling around enjoying life on the road?
I don't know if this would interest you, but one thing I noticed when I started living in my truck, is that many cops profile like crazy according to perceived economic status, or "looks like somebody who might have drugs", etc. When I was an upper middle class white guy driving a nice car, I never got this treatment! And they interpret "probable cause" to mean anything they can make up. If they decide that you are the sort of person they wish to discourage, then you will be stopped and harassed... and possibly physically abused, or ticketed for something you didn't do... and if you don't show up for court, now you have an outstanding warrant, and you'll be in real trouble if they stop you again.

At my first unfriendly encounter I was searched and held at gunpoint, then made to sit facing away from my truck while another cop ransacked my vehicle. At the second the cop opened my door, pulled me out by my shirt, and slammed me up against the side of my truck. I'm normally very mellow, but rage got triggered that time, and I was a hairs breadth from taking him down. Very glad I was able to squelch that impulse, as I'd probably be dead or still in jail if I hadn't. Both times it ended ok thankfully, since I was very compliant, didn't do anything illegal, and they had no reason to stop me in the first place. Not everyone is so lucky, though...

Help with disability claims to establish an income source would be a major need for legal help. The inability to work often creates a need for living cheaply.

Of course the usual work of writing wills, establishing a trust to protect assets. Sometimes taking on insurance companies to get claims paid out.

I was searched and held at gunpoint, then made to sit facing away from my truck while another cop ransacked my vehicle.

@freded : That would be a good service from a lawyer. Is there something I can say, like "I do not agree with this search"? How to formulate it so it might give policemen a hint that I am not clueless (as i am now)? Teach how to make our inevitable encounters with LEOs less dangerous to us.

@freded : That would be a good service from a lawyer. Is there something I can say, like "I do not agree with this search"? How to formulate it so it might give policemen a hint that I am not clueless (as i am now)? Teach how to make our inevitable encounters with LEOs less dangerous to us.

I didn't know it at the time, but you don't have to "let" them search your vehicle unless they get a warrant. But if there is no record, you have no way to prove anything. I thought something "big" must have gone down in the vicinity and that my truck matched a description or something; that's the only way their behavior made any sense. I mean... shit, they forced me to sit on the curb and one cop stood over me with her gun pointed at my head. When the other was done searching and didn't find anything, the probable cause excuse was "we figure anyone at a park after dark is drinking or doing drugs". They were just trolling; pulled me over as I left the parking lot. What I'd actually been doing was meditating; there was a great view from the top of a hill and the moon was out.

Many are absolutely wonderful people doing a tough job, but some aren't. A couple of hidden cameras with sound would be a good idea I think. You've got to have evidence if you want to resist any unwarranted illegal behavior on their part, and it's better to deter it, rather than try to prosecute after the fact. That's why two cameras; one you tell them about and one you don't. Also good to know your rights! Which reminds me, I need to brush up on that...

There are federal laws designed to protect firearm owners when traveling. Yes, some states have more restrictive laws regarding what guns or even ammo are not allowed, and how firearms have to be cased etc for transport in some locales, but there are good websites that can tell you those things, same for what states have reciprocal concealed carry agreements with other states permits. Its not quite as vague and intimidating to find out as seems to be sometimes stated online.
These laws are easy to get, around, I have Texas tags on my RV and car. They can use the reasoning that since he's from Texas he HAS to have firearms, to running drugs up from the border. They can detain you and get a Drug dog to sniff out drugs (false hit) and then they have probable cause. It has happened before.

Dash cams are good to have for a variety of reasons. My current one is front facing, but front and rear setups are common now. Id sort of like to have an in-cab one also, perhaps that could be activated at will when the need arises with a dash switch. One could upload to the cloud also, so whatever you have isnt compromised. My sympathies are generally with the LEOs, and have a number of friends that are current and former LEOs, though completely agree that theres some bad ones around, and protecting against them and hopefully getting them removed from the job for the good of all is a worthy goal.

I agree with the carry and concealment issues. A permit to carry and conceal should be honored/recognized in every state just like driver's license.

One issue I have....is I believe that police target out of state vehicles for tickets because they know the people are not likely to want to travel back to appear in court. People traveling through a state should be given the option to appear in court via telecom or video chat.

I have a trip to go back east, and I will be looking for some place to secure my firearms probably in Pennsylvania before I cross into NY state.

...completely agree that theres some bad ones around, and protecting against them and hopefully getting them removed from the job for the good of all is a worthy goal.
It's a nice thought, but I'm pretty certain that the profiling and harassment are encouraged by higher ups, and the "bad cops" are just a tool they use. They care a lot more about the opinions and wishes of the wealthy and powerful folks in their territory, than poor transients.

I don't know of any federal laws that protect firearm owners. Can you give an example of one?