Kratom on the road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winterwanderer

Reaction score
The use of mind-altering substances carries a great stigma in society, but let's face it; from coffee to alcohol to tobacco to cannabis to prescription meds, most of us are under the influence of some drug at least once in a while. So let's have an open discussion about them!

Alcohol is one of the most popular "fun drugs". However, there are many headaches associated with its use. Foremost is inability to drive safely for hours after imbibing. This is a HUGE hangup for me when living on the road. But alcohol's legal issues don't end here. For an SUV dweller like me, it is illegal to have an opened bottle in my vehicle. Even empty beer cans in the trash are a potential problem. Plus, solo drinking isn't very enjoyable. I virtually never consume alcohol while living on the road.

What about cannabis? Here we run into even more serious legal issues. It is illegal to smoke cannabis in a vehicle or on public property in all fifty states. The potent odor of weed smoke makes it difficult to conceal even casual use. (Vapes and edibles can alleviate this problem, but all other issues remain.) Having a used pipe or a non-retail container of pot in a vehicle is also illegal in every state, even if you haven't smoked in weeks. And as we all know, being found in possession of even the smallest quantity of marijuana means arrest, vehicle impoundment and criminal charges in over thirty states. Though some strains of cannabis increase alertness and focus, driving under the influence is still a crime in every state. I have consumed marijuana frequently in the past while traveling and boondocking, but a greater awareness of the laws regarding its use has dissuaded me from the practice.

Now we come to kratom. For those unfamiliar with it, kratom is the dried and powdered leaves of a tree (Mitragyna speciosa) which grows in southeast Asia. It has several different strains of varying potency and duration, with effects that range from stimulating to euphoric to sedating. 

Legally, kratom has enormous advantages over the previous two drugs for those who live on the road. Most importantly, it is legal under both federal law and the laws of 43 states, including every state west of the prairies. (However, the cities of San Diego and Denver have banned the possession of kratom.) There are no restrictions on possession and use by adults in states where it is legal. Kratom does not show up on any common drug test, and impairment is undetectable when consumed in moderation. While it does have potential for abuse and addiction, these issues have more to do with the user than the drug. (Heck, some people even abuse salt and sugar!)

In my experience, kratom's effects are far less pronounced than either alcohol or cannabis. The experience is more "enhanced sobriety" than intoxication. Nonetheless, it is a powerful plant medicine, and must be respected...I learned that lesson very early on.

A couple teaspoons of White Maeng Da gives me incredible energy, motivation and focus for 4 - 6 hours. Then it's chill time :D . Green Malay is a subtle but long-lasting mood enhancer; even a moderate dose can last up to 18 hours. It is like an escalator, boosting my conscious determination to enjoy life in the moment, to be open and aware and appreciative of everything. Red Bali is better for those who suffer from chronic pain or nagging anxiety; I don't, so its effects are lost on me. I have not yet tried my Yellow Maeng Da or Gold Bali strains. 

Yes, kratom has a mild earthy odor and tastes like dirt. But that's how god intended it to taste, and I'm not complaining. Has anyone here tried or used kratom?

I have tried several strains and like the whites and greens best. More euphoric and less sedative than the reds. I agree the red does work well on pain. Used to order directly from a supplier in Indonesia. Would order by the kilo and only had one order delayed by customs. I quit using it a few months ago mainly due to the one main side affect, constipation. Also was finding I was building a resistance to it and taking an awful lot. Withdrawals were not fun but I probably will take it again and just be more careful. I feel it definitely is a valuable herb and a great substitute to opioids!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes it doesn't go well at all with the typical fiber-deficient American diet (15 grams a day or even less). My daily diet contains 40 - 55 grams of fiber, so a few grams of kratom a day helps balance things out nicely.

Tolerance buildup and dependency happen with some people. But many people dose daily and get the same effects month after month without needing to increase the dosage. I've found one dose a day is ideal, usually just before lunch. Let the "comedown" happen as the evening naturally unwinds.

I smoke weed and live in Oklahoma,,,99% of my time will be spent in Okla//Co//Az & N.M.

Okla and Co are easy, we all know
Az law says you cant buy, but if you are legal in your home state (i am) who are we to say you cant have some in your pocket?? I can live with that.
N.M. it is still against the law, But less than a 1/2oz, no harm/no foul, they confiscate & send you on your way.
NOW TEXAS,,,Just avoid like the plague. You get caught, you going to jail "We don't care what's legal up there in Oklahoma......Boy!!" lololololol
The Okla Panhandle/Badlands into N.M. is the only way im traveling

I have family members who use it and swear by it for severe chronic pain. There are tremendous differences between some of the strains, so people need to be careful so they don't get an opposite affect.

All right!!!!

I've never smoked any legal weed before. :)

I'd never heard of it before honestly but looking it up looks like it has some potentially serious side affects.
I also see some local *** sellers have it also and may give it a try tomorrow, could definitely use some Christmas cheer!
Any recommendations for a 1st timer?

Alcohol destroys and kills so many people every day of every year and yet cannabis was the devil's weed. Politics at it's best. Nobody ever got baked and shot everyone in their house. I'm sure it's the opposite. I'm sure some have been that angry, got baked and figured they'd just chill for a while.

I do not actually use any of the above, but I would advise checking out the information before jumping in. 

Also if you will be on federal land even weed could land you in hot water.
-crofter

I think the biggest problem with weed is that there is no accurate way to test for THC in the blood. You can smoke a joint today, and the THC will still show up days or weeks later.

I have no problems with legalizing weed, we outlawed Alcohol and there was more booze during Prohibition than there was before. Just write some decent laws for and collect some taxes like they have for Alcohol.

I've tried the red for migraines and although I didn't notice any real pain relief I did have a feeling of I don't care. I probably walked around with a smile on my face for awhile. Kind of like a mild high without the drowsiness of pot. I'd try it again as it's being sold locally now and I wouldn't have to order it. There can be some side effects but they are rare from what I've read. There's a doc on Netflix about it.

Super_Dave said:
Nobody ever got baked and shot everyone in their house. I'm sure it's the opposite. I'm sure some have been that angry, got baked and figured they'd just chill for a while.

Maybe they didn’t shoot anyone but they certainly would ravage a bag of potato chips! What about those poor innocent potato chips?

It's called "A Leaf of Faith" but I just did a search and it no longer shows up on Netflix but you can rent it on Prime.