Minivan Life - Urban exploring - NYC , LA, Chicago ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbankid12

Reaction score
Where do I start..

So I have lived the minivan life recently for almost an entire year before going back to a motel and working a traditional job (due to mounting debt needing to be addressed)  and I have learned A LOT from that experience and it has opened up so many more opportunities for my future that wouldn't be possible otherwise! 
Minivan life has sparked a new dream of mine that I thought wasn't possible... I want to live in New York City!  :D 

Imagine for a moment and let me explain how I think this is possible to do RENT FREE! 

Waking up at a truck stop or a rest area along the freeway, driving to a train station, and then taking the train into downtown NYC.  (or into Manhattan island I don't think they call it "downtown" like most other major cities) Then being able to explore the town and reap the benefits of the massive libraries and museums oh and the parks and public spaces!  I would love to just walk around there all day and explore the city.  Taking a traditional vacation of 1-2 weeks is so limiting... yet, I could go explore the city for an entire MONTH and buy a month's transit pass or such.. How is that even possible?  I could do that each year, or every other year and I wouldn't have to worry about finding a hotel or motel or worry about anything!  

I could do that to other cities as well.  Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston, maybe even Trontio Cannada!  Of course, I would take breaks in between to enjoy the rural nature and have places where I can crack open the laptop and work.  I absolutely loved La Posa at the LTVA during the winter. Plus taking trips up to Alaska during the summer and getting to explore Alaska that's just something I thought was unattainable ever again since my parents took me up there as a child.  

Minivan life has forever changed my future and I am so grateful about that, it has opened up so many doors and possibilities that I can't even accurately express how happy and how much I love the concept and lifestyle. I loved living it while I did.  Granted it got a bit unbearable at the end with the heat of Texas and me being overweight but I'm working on my weight, already lost 20 lbs since August. 

Plus I do start to see myself upgrading to an RV or Bus eventually (RV would be ideal given I could rent space at an RV park in a town or city and settle down for a while between winter LTVA stays, but a Bus is the better option given I could build it out as I please) 

However for now I don't see a need to upgrade to anything bigger than my minivan.  Although an electric minivan would be perfect since I have a dog as Toyota really has some nice features for climate control.

Having a dog and van life is a VERY difficult combination.  That's mainly why I'm taking a break from van life and enjoying the time I have with my dog as she is 10 years now.  ...sadly there will come a day when there is no more time I will be able to spend with her.. when that happens I can see about urban minivan life.  I still might get back into minivan life in a year or two and keep living in rural spaces like I was and work online and enjoy life.

but for now, I'm curious to see if anyone knows of anyone or has tried and experienced living in NYC or another major city and enjoying the benefits of living in the city rent-free?

Seems like urban van life is overcrowed in California as the nice weather year-round it makes it possible very easily.  Yet, other places can't be that hard can it?  Maybe staying during the holiday season and working retail and exploring the city during the weekends could be a great opportunity.  

Or simply working online and visiting a month in each major city in peak best weather and enjoying a working vacation?  I'm not saying I plan to live the minivan life forever.  I'm just saying it's an amazing opportunity and tool to allow me to explore more places and experience things I wouldn't have been able to had I been paying rent and stuck to an apartment and exhausted from working so much that extra days off I'm to tired and exhausted to even travel past the apartment fridge!  :( 

Does anyone have any stories about using vanlife to travel and explore expensive urban citites?  Maybe what im thinking is possible isnt?

A forum member who hasn't posted recently does something close to what you are contemplating. He stays mostly at Walmarts and takes public transportation into the city that he wants to explore. He stays for a month or so then moves to another city. Here are his posts on the forum - https://vanlivingforum.com/search/?action=results&sid=11d5bc5442bf89b32ce4382bb8148ca1
And his blog - https://lennyflank.wordpress.com/about/
I haven't found an easy way to search for a particular city on his blog.
So your idea is definitely possible!

Lenny has an ebook - The Electronic Nomad - available on Amazon as a Kindle edition. Lots of info on how he does it.

Why he no longer posts here, I don't know. But he does still post occasionally on the Reddit r/vandwellers.

I do know that when the COVID hit, he hunkered down in place somewhere.

A forum member who hasn't posted recently does something close to what you are contemplating. He stays mostly at Walmarts and takes public transportation into the city that he wants to explore. He stays for a month or so then moves to another city. Here are his posts on the forum - https://vanlivingforum.com/search/?action=results&sid=11d5bc5442bf89b32ce4382bb8148ca1
And his blog - https://lennyflank.wordpress.com/about/
I haven't found an easy way to search for a particular city on his blog.
So your idea is definitely possible!
the link to Lenny's posts here leads to nowhere

Hmm.. not sure why that is happening. It opened for me but that may have something to do with my moderator account. So to find Lenny Flank's posts, click on Search in the top right corner of this page, enter Lenny Flank in the By: Member slot and click search. That should bring up all of Lenny's posts.

Plus I do start to see myself upgrading to an RV or Bus eventually (RV would be ideal given I could rent space at an RV park in a town or city and settle down for a while between winter LTVA stays, but a Bus is the better option given I could build it out as I please)

Does anyone have any stories about using vanlife to travel and explore expensive urban citites? Maybe what im thinking is possible isnt?
I have a 7 year old diesel pusher. Traveling in a Class A (I assume a bus would be similar) is fundamentally different than in a van or minivan. It is super comfortable traveling down the highways and while stopped in rest areas/truck stops/campgrounds. But big rigs require that everything be premeditated, even something a routine as getting gas requires planning (unless you're on an interstate highway where TA/Flying J/Loves are plentiful). Exploration beyond what can be seen from the highway is challenging unless one has the skills of a CDL driver. That's why almost all of them have a vehicle in tow. Class A are high maintenance compared to vans; they are not for the mechanically challenged unless you have deep pockets and a lot time (measured in weeks) to spend waiting for servicing.

If you're looking for a "base camp" vehicle, a trailer is much more practical: cheaper to buy, cheaper to own, less things to break down and easier to repair when they do. Your minivan won't be able to tow a trailer of any size. In my opinion, the best vehicle for towing is a full size van, with a simple build out (bed, kitchenette, toilet) that serves as your "home" on wheels while you are away from base camp.

It is absolutely possible to live in a van in big cities. In many urban neighborhoods folks leave their cars parked for days at a time. I owned a motorcycle and car while living in the Nob Hill area of SF. I used my car a few times a month (it was too much of a hassle to find parking again). My motorcycle set park most of the time, since I walked to work and the grocery store. In Chicago's Hyde Park, there's never more than ~50% of the parking spaces available, because folks walk or take the bus. Ditto with Astoria Heights in Queens. So when you're staying in a city, find neighborhoods like those, show up around 10 am (that's when the most spaces will be available). Make sure not to violate any signs (street cleaning, permit only, etc). Park like the locals and take public transportation wherever you want to go. You can even sleep in your vehicle, but don't be obvious about it (get there late, keep noise to a minimum, make sure no inside lights are visible, etc). Don't hang out in the vehicle during the day, change locations if you want to work, watch tv, or do anything that can attract attention. Don't park in a location for more than a couple of days. You don't have to move far, 4 blocks away is an entirely different group of people that have never seen your vehicle. And by vehicle, I mean car, minivan, pickup, van, SUV.

Where do I start..

So I have lived the minivan life recently for almost an entire year before going back to a motel and working a traditional job (due to mounting debt needing to be addressed) and I have learned A LOT from that experience and it has opened up so many more opportunities for my future that wouldn't be possible otherwise!
Minivan life has sparked a new dream of mine that I thought wasn't possible... I want to live in New York City! :D

Imagine for a moment and let me explain how I think this is possible to do RENT FREE!

Waking up at a truck stop or a rest area along the freeway, driving to a train station, and then taking the train into downtown NYC. (or into Manhattan island I don't think they call it "downtown" like most other major cities) Then being able to explore the town and reap the benefits of the massive libraries and museums oh and the parks and public spaces! I would love to just walk around there all day and explore the city. Taking a traditional vacation of 1-2 weeks is so limiting... yet, I could go explore the city for an entire MONTH and buy a month's transit pass or such.. How is that even possible? I could do that each year, or every other year and I wouldn't have to worry about finding a hotel or motel or worry about anything!

I could do that to other cities as well. Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston, maybe even Trontio Cannada! Of course, I would take breaks in between to enjoy the rural nature and have places where I can crack open the laptop and work. I absolutely loved La Posa at the LTVA during the winter. Plus taking trips up to Alaska during the summer and getting to explore Alaska that's just something I thought was unattainable ever again since my parents took me up there as a child.

Minivan life has forever changed my future and I am so grateful about that, it has opened up so many doors and possibilities that I can't even accurately express how happy and how much I love the concept and lifestyle. I loved living it while I did. Granted it got a bit unbearable at the end with the heat of Texas and me being overweight but I'm working on my weight, already lost 20 lbs since August.

However for now I don't see a need to upgrade to anything bigger than my minivan. Although an electric minivan would be perfect since I have a dog as Toyota really has some nice features for climate control.

Having a dog and van life is a VERY difficult combination. That's mainly why I'm taking a break from van life and enjoying the time I have with my dog as she is 10 years now. ...sadly there will come a day when there is no more time I will be able to spend with her.. when that happens I can see about urban minivan life. I still might get back into minivan life in a year or two and keep living in rural spaces like I was and work online and enjoy life.

but for now, I'm curious to see if anyone knows of anyone or has tried and experienced living in NYC or another major city and enjoying the benefits of living in the city rent-free?

Seems like urban van life is overcrowed in California as the nice weather year-round it makes it possible very easily. Yet, other places can't be that hard can it? Maybe staying during the holiday season and working retail and exploring the city during the weekends could be a great opportunity.

Or simply working online and visiting a month in each major city in peak best weather and enjoying a working vacation? I'm not saying I plan to live the minivan life forever. I'm just saying it's an amazing opportunity and tool to allow me to explore more places and experience things I wouldn't have been able to had I been paying rent and stuck to an apartment and exhausted from working so much that extra days off I'm to tired and exhausted to even travel past the apartment fridge! :(

Does anyone have any stories about using vanlife to travel and explore expensive urban citites? Maybe what im thinking is possible isnt?
As a Los Angeles native who had to live in my car (in a part of the county where I grew up and know intimately) I’d say no on coastal California maybe inland.
Every square inch is being built up and real estate is obscene-my mother’s house which they paid $29,000 for in 1963 is now worth over $2 million and you can’t get the worst condo for under about $700,000 so people are getting angry. Our water bills are sky high and we’re told if we don’t ration we’ll be penalized so as a result of the stress, traffic and anger they’re cracking down on people living in RVs and vans. I read Next Door and on one local street they called the sheriff for one single guy in a van and another in a Staples parking lot. All the streets and parking lots that had vans no longer do. It’s a huge beautiful state, I’d stay away from big cities.

With the exploding crime rates in big cities, I can't even imagine wanting to go to any of them.