Land for all

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
losthighwaydrifter said:
some pics

The pix are awesome.  Well done!!

Glad I have a brush guard on my SUV. I think I could drive over that terrain.

Do you have the GPS of the place to look at it on Google Earth?

trust me on this you don't want to bust brush. you tires will hate you. highdesertranger

From what I've read, that location might be south of good gold bearing area of northern NV. Maybe some metal detecting?

yeah but that is the Carlin trend. the gold is disseminated(microscopic). highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
trust me on this you don't want to bust brush.  you tires will hate you.  highdesertranger

You really are a downer today.  LOL  Maybe it'll help to have Run Flat Tires?   Surely they make Run Flat Off Road tires.  It would be worth it for the fun factor.

I've been dying to bust brush on this vehicle since I got it.  I have these great off road tires and had it off road only a few times and the brush is wimpy here in FL.  No big deal at all, and I have this super bada** cool brush guard on it.    I really want to take this Tahoe off into some decent brush, but none here.  Won't be a problem for the campers though because OP's brother can make roads.  Well he could in Colorado.  I dunno if he can do it there.  At any rate, it shouldn't be too hard to make roads on that terrain.

highdesertranger said:
yeah but that is the Carlin trend.  the gold is disseminated(microscopic).  highdesertranger

So flakes are small potatoes for you.  I'd be happy to mine for flakes.  It would be fun.    I have a friend in AZ that mines dried creek beds and gets a lot of the small flakes and they add up.  Plus the fun factor makes it worthwhile.  I hope OP can get mineral rights too.  That would be great.

I remember when I live in the Nevada desert. I had to get my boys solid rubber tires for their bicycles to prevent flats. I had the tractor tires filled with this industrial fix a flat stuff. It was brutal on tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just pointing out the facts wasanah just the facts.

you do realize that you just can't drive cross country making your own road. but come out west and I can show you plenty of roads you can get desert pin striping on. better not care about your paint. if you look at my trucks there is not 1/2 inch that isn't scratched. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
yeah but that is the Carlin trend. the gold is disseminated(microscopic). highdesertranger

Yeah, the Carlin trend. Chemical recovery. That's no fun :)

yeah it's microscopic you can't see it. you can't recover it. I can recover down to 100 mesh but that stuff in the Carlin trend is invisible to the human eye. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
just pointing out the facts wasanah just the facts.

you do realize that you just can't drive cross country making your own road.  but come out west and I can show you plenty of roads you can get desert pin striping on.  better not care about your paint.  if you look at my trucks there is not 1/2 inch that isn't scratched.  highdesertranger

I did say LOL, HDR

I know I can't just tear things up.  That's not what OP wants.  I want to be kind to the land.   I could carefully drive out in brush.  I care nothing for the paint.  It's dark green and it will wear scratches like badges of honor.  Actually someone really took good care of this Tahoe before I got it.  It's got pristine leather seats in it and all, and the original owner got the optional brush guard which is awesome.  I bet the owner never took it off road.  I've heard of Yuppies buying  cool 4WD off roaders and never taking them off pavement.   What a waste!  This vehicle BEGS to go off pavement.  It also begs to go on the highway.  I often drive a couple extra miles by taking the highway where I'm going instead of going through town.  It likes to goooooo.

If I go driving on the land, OP will have to be cool with it and I'll upgrade my tires...although when I got these, I thought they were an upgrade.  BUT they do make run flat off road tires.  AWESOME.  I gotta come out west, at least for a visit.  This is really cool.

highdesertranger said:
yeah it's microscopic you can't see it.  you can't recover it.  I can recover down to 100 mesh but that stuff in the Carlin trend is invisible to the human eye.  highdesertranger

Well that's a bummer.  Maybe it won't be worth OP getting his mineral rights.

highdesertranger said:
if he can get them without spending to much it's worth it.  highdesertranger

Well, hopefully he read this and won't pay too much for the mineral rights.  Dang those pix looked way better than I imagined in my head.  What a nice view AND big sky. 

Yeah, I could be coaxed west to visit this place.  It would be great to have a rifle/pistol range on it too.  Fill sandbags for the bones of it and rent a bobcat to cover it in dirt and give it a nice backstop.  That would be awesome.  Oh and also EARTHBAGS.  OP could make some permanent structures of earth bags.  Very cheap if you have the labor (like us).  Fill those bags and make buildings for things like a rec room or a camp office.  I've seen some really cool earthbag structures online.  So cool.

highdesertranger said:
yeah it's microscopic you can't see it.  you can't recover it.  I can recover down to 100 mesh but that stuff in the Carlin trend is invisible to the human eye.  highdesertranger

Mercury doesn't pick it up?
That is what they did in Crescent Valley north of Barrick Cortez. Neighbor called it "flour gold".
Toxic soup.
Then the process to remove the mercury.
"Breathe deep the gathering gloom"

wayne49 said:
Mercury doesn't pick it up?
That is what they did in Crescent Valley north of Barrick Cortez. Neighbor called it "flour gold".
Toxic soup.
Then the process to remove the mercury.
"Breathe deep the gathering gloom"

I think you can't legally use mercury for gold mining without getting OSHA or the EPA involved.  Toxic to the extreme.

Well we did hear about the rights I cant buy them! But maybe a back door to acquire the company that owns them tho. that maybe possible as the firm that owned them merged with another company. In the early 1930's that company was bought out ect.ect. And the owning interest in the present company is small and looks like I could buy them out. In the process I get rights to a lot of land in Nevada and Utah as well as Alaska. and some other property in salt lake city as in the other real holdings. ie: offices and real estate this road may lead to 100,000 plus acres more!

I have a friend who family is the 5th largest land owner in the U.S. He is lending me the law firm for some research in to all of that. there a timber Co. and have no interest in desert land. This may have opened a whole other world and a new career. LOL all from discussions here on CRVL!!!!

I've been in that career field for years, the career of spending all my money!

losthighwaydrifter said:
Well we did hear about the rights I cant buy them! But maybe a back door to acquire the company that owns them tho.

I have a friend who family is the 5th largest land owner in the U.S. He is lending me the law firm for some research in to all of that.  there a timber Co. and have no interest in desert land. This may have opened a whole other world and a new career. LOL all from discussions here on CRVL!!!!

You don't want to get so busy that you can't enjoy this great land you've purchased.  HDR says the gold is microscopic, so it's probably not worth the trouble to buy a whole company to get the mineral rights.  Dang if you buy a company, you'll have to wear a suit and have employees and worry about things that CRVL folks don't want to worry about any more.

Sometimes when you buy a business, you buy the business's debts too. I sure would be cautious. Maybe look into that after you have the land settled out the way you want it.