Welcome to New Mexico

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Bebewanna and welcome. Your brave to buy land sight unseen here as it is common to find people who you may not want to be neighbors with. TP is pretty rugged survivalist and the real nice 3-5th generation folks tend to be nice but small town gossipy types. All I can say as someone who arrived 25 yrs ago is to really use your instincts with who you make friends or foe with and allow to 'help you'. And yes this is the largest drought is 25 years, never seen so much dead sage-fire ready so given that I would seriously build with earth as I did adobe or hybridized earthship style and reduce fire fuel type structures since having water and or calling for help usually does not make it in time, especially now. Everything has changed hell I do no even know if we will see monsoons this year. Enjoy the peace and know there is less water, less food as in the rabbits are practically extinct, less wildflowers and cats out esp at dusk or dawn are fair game for Owls, Coyotes, Hawks, Eagles and roaming dogs. BUT YES YOU ARE FREE HERE !!
Hey.....
I sort of knew the history of this place and the area and expected some questionable characters. I am 30 years in backwoods,always 1 character that's difficult. I keep to myself and am not really outwardly friendly 😂.... Actually I am happy with the neighbors situation lol because they are staying away. I met one guy who seems OK.
I went to school for design. Am doing drawings for a small mud building. My concern with doing mud is the labor and needed water. I have bad asthma and wonder about it. I could have a wood cabin up in 2 weeks, I am good at those, but yes I am very fire concerned. Those dead sage are everywhere. I am piling them up.
There is the west rim water coop at the gorge, but they won't let you join on unimproved property.. How stupid.
But in the end that's the solution 7 cents a gallon.
I knew one thing about this place, the Govt is not bothering me and few places left that is the case. So, I don't expect it will be easy but at least I am not being harassed by forest idiots now.

In the middle of nowhere, it's cheap because there is no infrastructure or support. No livable dwelling. No water. No sewer. No electricity. No decent roads. Etc. There's a high probability it's cheap because someone bought it before you and they are selling it because they couldn't make a go of it.

I am only several miles west of the earthship visitor area in Taos County. I have not yet stopped but lots of examples just going by. One very small clamshell looking one is about my speed. I really only need like a one room or small place.

Yes gets really cold here in the winter. I have been here when I froze just walking to car from hotel. It's the wind too. I have done 20s temps in van no issues but 5f with wind is a new story
Oh winter....l hope you'll be ok...burrrrr. Hate the cold wind and the snow. I'm at Quartzite at one of the LTVA....879 ft elevation. It can get cold here for a little while in Jan, Feb. Nothing like what you'll deal with. You are heap brave person. It's not only the weather that intices me here ...the living on land for only $180 for 7 mos is great....dumpster included.

Oh winter....l hope you'll be ok...burrrrr. Hate the cold wind and the snow. I'm at Quartzite at one of the LTVA....879 ft elevation. It can get cold here for a little while in Jan, Feb. Nothing like what you'll deal with. You are heap brave person. It's not only the weather that intices me here ...the living on land for only $180 for 7 mos is great....dumpster included.
Hi....

Yes snowed yesterday for the first snow of the year ❄️😊
I spent 10 days in April in intensive care for respiratory failure after I got stuck in frozen, wet mud and water.

We will soon see what winter brings, last winter had I not gotten chilled from being stuck... It would have all been OK.

But I am very concerned about my present ability to shovel snow... 😕❄️

I have 5 - $130 payments left and I own this place... Yeah... Taxes are $5.06 year lol.

6- 20 lb propane tanks and NM heat assistance because of disability, paid for the entire heating for the last year.... One thing is, we are warm lol. I bought a brand new Big Buddy as after 10 winters the last one needed to hit the dump.

A really bad winter might sink me... But I am about as prepared as you can get.
My hourglass for being able to live like this is clearly slowly running out because of respiratory problems I have had since birth... I am just not ready to give up freedom for an apartment or assisted living...

Brave maybe 😂... Stubborn more likely

Best of luck to you! Do you have someone that can provide assistance if you need it or check on you. Maybe the county has a contact number you can call. I know it sounds crazy but some food program’s workers will come check on you if you don’t show up after so many days in some areas. Make sure you have a “plan B” just in case!

Hi....

Yes snowed yesterday for the first snow of the year ❄️😊
I spent 10 days in April in intensive care for respiratory failure after I got stuck in frozen, wet mud and water.

We will soon see what winter brings, last winter had I not gotten chilled from being stuck... It would have all been OK.

But I am very concerned about my present ability to shovel snow... 😕❄️

I have 5 - $130 payments left and I own this place... Yeah... Taxes are $5.06 year lol.

6- 20 lb propane tanks and NM heat assistance because of disability, paid for the entire heating for the last year.... One thing is, we are warm lol. I bought a brand new Big Buddy as after 10 winters the last one needed to hit the dump.

A really bad winter might sink me... But I am about as prepared as you can get.
My hourglass for being able to live like this is clearly slowly running out because of respiratory problems I have had since birth... I am just not ready to give up freedom for an apartment or assisted living...

Brave maybe 😂... Stubborn more likely
Not trying to get into your business. But after several winters in an RV in North Dakota with an unvented propane infrared heater I hate to see anyone be cooped up with one. Especially with respiratory issues. I know I damaged my health because of it. Then again, we all do what we have to do. Best Wishes

6- 20 lb propane tanks and...Big Buddy...
a)
2003, building our ExpeditionVehicle, we were terrorfied of getting cold.
Naturally, we have [several] of the easy-to-use easy-to-swap/fill five-gallon propane bottles...
... plus three (3) Wave 3 catalytic heaters.
"But but but LM!, propane burns into humidity!"
True, all so very true.
Accordingly, we always open two windows on opposite walls.
Escaping warm air carries humidity and odors.
b)
During chilly weather, the dogs are inside with us.
With that amount of canine combustion, we rarely operate the heater above about 40°f outside.
Fortunately, the digestive systems of our beasts are in good operational order.
My buddy Danny has a Brit Bulldog...
...'Farting Franky'.
If Franky gets in the mood, he can drive the whole crew right out of the shop.
True story.