It's pouring rain right now...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sara in a Prius

Reaction score
It's pouring rain right now in Portland for the first time in many months (and for the first time of many in the months to come). What do you like to do when it rains – other than go somewhere else?

Live inside the vehicle you are suppose to be living out of.

My middle daughter lives near Portland, she is very happy about this.

If I was there I would go to a McMenameins, or Powells.  
When it's raining while I'm camping I make tidy, catch up on my reading, catch up on my writing, practice my knots and learn new ones, make plans, nap, mend my clothes, text family & friends, ...

Drink tea and read good books. If not that watch the TV. dumb movies or something. Maybe cook something Maybe ......

Listen to rain on the roof, read, knit, walk if it's not coming down too hard...

Few things sound as wonderful to me as rain on the roof, and few things feel as good as some light rain on my face.

I take advantage of the rain and turn it into a shower opportunity. I like the sound of rain falling on my tin roof, but if it rained for hours.....maybe not so much.

I usually read, I always have a few books available. I also have picked up a new hobby. I found an old book at an estate sale on hand made quilts. So picked up material to cut into squares tor the beginning of this project. So far this hobby does not take up much room. But for now, on those days I get bored or it’s raining, I have something to do.

I don’t think my quilt will be totally “hand made”. I am thinking at some point I will need to get a sewing machine involved ?

Shyian, that’s neat you have taken up quilting. So have I and stumble through it. Will you be in quartzsite this winter? There are a couple of quilt clubs where you can learn a lot.

Got pics of the pattern you are following? You don’t have to have a machine but it sure goes quicker if ya do.

Cammalu, maybe I can help you through some of those steps that have you stumbling. Like everything that is based on hand to eye coordination there are methods to the required movements and both physical and mental organization of the steps. Getting good results from a sewing machine is in the hands, wrist arms and of course the eyes as well as the upper body. It is a power tool and all power tools require certain body movement control to get accurate results. So not much different than needing a golf, batting or tennis coach.

Maki my biggest problem is math. I really have a lifelong problem there for sure. When I start measuring all bets are off no matter how careful I try to be. Thanks for your help

I hate rain. My future life is run from the rain and find big heat and sunshine LOL

rainy days in an rv I sleep cause I am SO active on other days that I need the rainy days to just chill
not too long tho, that can get annoying :)

I get it. For many years now, my parents have spent their summers in a sailboat off the coast of New England and Canada. They like to read and sleep – and of course sail. This summer however was SO overcast and rainy off the coast of Maine that they did very little sailing and too much sleeping. They got very annoyed.

I love rain. I mean, REALLY love it. I am a true Seattleite. I get anxious if it doesn't rain for too long of a time. I'm definitely living in the wrong place for rain.

I grew up in Louisiana so I have a pretty high tolerance for rain. I also have a huge apreciation for massive cloud formations. The kind you don't see when you live in California for 15 years.
So I love the sound of rain, thunder etc.
Then my van started to leak. Turns out the Transit has these little plastic caps in multiple places on the roof. For installation of roof racks and such.
Except they arent really sealed.
So I went up there today and caulked them a 2nd time. Before I only did the ones I thought were bad. This time I did all 8, and a place where the body looks like it has a slight crack from grazing something.
I want to enjoy the rain not fear it!

Anyway, I usually like to read books or play acoustic guitar when it rains.
Love parking near the water and playing minor key arpeggios while looking out the window.