It's getting chilly!!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LivingOurPeace

Reaction score
Hi Nomads!!!

I've been sitting home (Columbus, OH) with the pup today, mostly watching vehicle conversion videos and trying to keep my mind off of things that stress me out in general. 

So I wanted to post something that might encourage folks to say hello and help me get to know posters and the lifestyle. Whether you're out on the road or sitting home, doesn't matter.

Where in the country are you? In your rig or stuck in a house/apartment? Planning on moving in the near future? 
As it gets colder, what are your winter plans?

We're just getting started in planning our mini-bus, so I've been researching where to find the kinds of repurposed/recycled (etc) materials I want to use and trying to organize our plans.

Hope ya'll enjoy your weekend!!
Stay safe!
Brandy

My granddad used to say...

As a rule man is fool.
When it’s hot he wants it cool
And when it’s cool he wants it hot.
He always wants it what it’s not.

;-)

that's kinda like,

"the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"

highdesertranger

All true!!

I used to cut hair several years back, and one thing that always held true is that we always want what we don't have.

Brunettes wanna be blonde, blondes wanna be brunettes, people with curls wanted to be poker straight, and those with straight hair coveted curls!!

The basic tenet holds true for much more than just hair!! LOL

We're chilly too! We're on our way to Pahrump and just crossed the continental divide. It can get pretty cold at 7,000' in October!
We roam around a little more than many van dwellers because we have family and friends out your way but we always get ourselves down south somewhere before the snow comes.

Have fun doing your research!

Although today was quite warm, tonight is quite cold here in Happy Camp, California. My van is not insulated. The insulation is in a roll in my cargo trailer, which is already insulated. I'm thinking of moving into that for the winter even though the van is larger. I ordered a space heater, electric. I liked the propane heater until I noticed the condensation it causes.... though it is a PITA that you need to keep a window open and need to keep checking a CO detector so you don't accidentally die.

I'm headed to the NM state parks and have to start at Storrie Lake near Las Vegas,NM.

Next Wednesday night's forecast is for a low of 15.

There are some cheap (less than $200) vented propane heaters now like Nuway makes you might want to take a look at.

Plans for the winter... funny because when I lived in TX, we didn't "plan" for seasons.  Now that I'm in CO at 6200 ft elevation, I am planning for this second winter here.  Spent the summer doing outdoor projects on my house, everything indoors was put off till winter.  So I will today start raking leaves and cleaning  gutters, later in the winter touch up some paint inside, build some shelves for the laundry room, stuff like that.  Also helping a new friend finish out the inside of her off-the-grid tiny house.  This kind of stuff is fun -- power tools are a turn on!!  And put together things for my minivan for trips out there.  I don't feel stuck in the house at all but I do miss my vanning days and hope to get back out there now and then.  And when it's too cold or snowy, jigsaw puzzles and books, lots of both.  In the vans/RVs, I couldn't do the puzzles, no room.  Big ones 1500+ pieces.

As for hair, you are so right.  I used to perm mine back in those days.  It is poker straight.  Two days ago I had about 10" cut off.  I love it! Ladies in the shop were raving about the color, saying how much it would cost to get this color.  I told them, "I paid for this color alright.  Just not in cash."

Sitting at home in my recliner in front of the fire watching the rain come down.Painted the house last week getting ready to put the place on the market next spring.I may have to burn more propane this winter as I'm a little short on firewood.Depends on how cold the winter is.

You guys make the cold here seem like nothing but it hasn't got really cold yet. 58, grey overcast and damp from the rain yesterday. We can get into the low 20's here but not for a while yet. Stay warm, stay safe.

I've been full-timing in my van for over six years. I arrived in southern Arizona the other day where it's in the 80s during the day and 50s at night. A cold front will be sweeping through the West in a few days, dropping temperatures into the low 40s at night. Then it'll warm back up. I spend most of the winter in the Yuma area because it's usually relatively warm and dry. When my van gets uncomfortably chilly I turn on the stove for a while.

I'm in LA right now and it's still high 80's during the day. Thank goodness it cools off quickly once the sun goes down.

Yuma seems to be the warmest location most of the time, is anywhere warmer for most of the winter in the US?

It's 82 and rainy here in Florida. Mia (the dog) was helping me organize the jeep until it started showering out, so now we're back in the house doing random chores. I'm SO ready for winter here! It's usually just perfect in the 70s

"Where in the country are you? In your rig or stuck in a house/apartment? Planning on moving in the near future?
As it gets colder, what are your winter plans?"

It's been cool here at the S&B in NC, but much warmer than it was in KY while I was out there. Heading out for a month or so next Wednesday to check out Quartzsite and see what the deal is about BLM land, which we don't have over here in the East. From AZ I'll be heading down to FL to spend time with my family for Thanksgiving and see the grandkids during winter break, before I head back home to get some more decluttering done, sell some stuff, and prep the house for a year on the road. I am not sure when I will leave out of here again yet in 2020.

Depends on the weather here and where I decide to go. My wood stock is low and I did not replenish it as I thought I'd be on the road full time, so heading south or west sounds pretty appealing :) I did one year here with no heat, when it got down to -1 and thought I'd freeze to death in my office where the temp was barely 32 degrees and quite lower some mornings. So I invested in a wood stove, and of course, the following winter was hardly anything - go figure, lol! We have been far cooler here though this October, so I'm thinking we may have another cold winter, and while I love the cold, I love the road more!

It was a "brisk" day in Seattle but the sun did come out. Sitting here next to the heater with a fleece pullover on and a couple of fleece blanket over my legs. My fingers are cold. The workshop space is large with high ceilings but the only heat in it is my little portable 1,500 watt electric.

Hi Brandy,
I'm staying warm and dry getting ready too. Still stuck in NY. I had hoped to be on my way but everything is taking much too long here. My windsheild sprung a leak and water was pouring in to the headliner and all down into the carpet in the last rain. So with the remnants of tropical storm olga on the way, I've spent the last couple of days sealing it up.

At least that made the decision for me to remove the carpet and lay down sound mats and insulation under a new subfloor.

Step-by-step...

LivingOurPeace, I live near Findlay, Ohio...about 1.5 hours North of you. We have lived on our 10 acre farm for 25 years now, and will most likely live here another 25 years (54 Y.O now). We will be keeping the farm, and currently camp (mostly in State Parks) in our 32' Heartland travel trailer, pulled by our diesel Excursion.

I would like to do some boondocking either in my Excursion, or my 1996 F150 long bed, with a cap, but possibly after retiring in a few years.....no cold weather camping for me.