It's all new to me... and kinda exciting.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenderfoot

Reaction score
Hi folks! New guy here, with real motivation to take a leap of faith.

I have watched dozens of vids (thanks to all who bother to document their knowledge, and share it. You have created a valuable resource), and they have convinced me an enjoyable life can be had, even with physical challenges, if I start preparing now.

I have gleaned, from all the vids, that I would be better off starting small (vehicle size), and going up if it seems needed (the opposite approach looks like a good way to lose money). I love remote camping, but can no longer pack stuff in (not to mention that sleeping on the ground has slowly lost ALL it's appeal to me)... so, I'm working on converting a 2WD Astro van (with a possible AWD conversion, if it turns out I'm braver than the Astro is capable). My plan is to make it good for a week or so (self supported), and get and mod a small trailer to hold long term supplies, tools, my generator and convenience items (and, if needed, hold a campsite, while making town runs).

I have made some progress on the van. It's now good to go, as a vehicle, and I'm building a comfortable bed (Invacare power adjustable) that will also provide comfy seating (no room for my recliner in there). I did a full LED conversion on the stock lighting, in bright white, and have the parts and materials to set up a seperate warm white environment while parked. Plans are to set up a solar system independent of the vehicle's wiring, only linked by a solenoid for charging while driving. I have been ebaying all the parts, and being in no hurry has saved me some cash.

My only remaining concerns are security and comms. I have watched enough of Bob's vids (thank you, sir) to solve the latter, I believe (can't wait for the coming vid on cheap internet). The former can only be mitigated by my meeting you folks, and seeing your community in person... so, I'm trying to be ready for the next RTR. Frankly, I look forward to this part the most... more and more every day.

Again, thanks to all who take their time to educate us newbs. As Bob maintains, the psychological barriers appear to be a greater hurdle than actually gearing up. and mine are slowly melting away. You can all take some credit for that! I hope to eventually meet you all.

Eric

Welcome Eric to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Thanks! I'm on it.

You will hear from me... and, I may start a build thread when I have enough pics. Shouldn't be long... I now mess around with it every day

Back to my homework!

Eric

The more time you spend in your rig the better you'll know what you want. The more folks you get to know, especially here, the better you'll be able to execute.

DLTooley said:
The more time you spend in your rig the better you'll know what you want.  The more folks you get to know, especially here, the better you'll be able to execute.

Agreed. I got a pass to a local campground/park, so I can test and practice... and I have been watching vids that, even if they first seem inappropriate to my set up, are full of good ideas to swipe.

I'm having fun here. And, I'm becoming convinced I am starting with the right rig. I'm leaving the powertrain (3.73 gears, fortunately), suspension, and wiring stock, so I will always be able to find salvage parts, and it won't mystify mechanics when I'm willing (or forced) to farm work out.

AbuelaLoca said:
Welcome Eric!! You can give us a sneak peek ;-)
Thank you!

Not much to see! Yet. :)

I deleted the roof rack (just in time... a couple inserts spun, but hadn't begun to leak), and am prepping the roof for epoxy primer and SolarFlex. I'll snag some pics, but the real fun is in what's next.

I'll link from here to a build thread, when it's time.

:)  Hello and a belated Welcome

I've watched some Astro builds on You Tube and they seem quiet popular.  I have a  1998 Safari conversion with the "TV" hightop.  My Mom bought it new and it had a little over 100k miles when I got it last winter.  It has a 4 speed auto, rear wheel drive, and the 4.3.  The  only problem I see looming on the horizon is that after installing a Class lll hitch and helper springs we had to raise it 2in just to get around town.  Lon, that does all my work on it says it can go up another 2in.  We are waiting until it's wired for towing and then hooking up my Aliner and see how it looks/rides from there.

Did you need to remove a lot of interior for your build?  I'm just taking out the seats.  I want the van to be useable for camping or traveling without the Aliner.  I yearn for a 1 ton any brand van.  Maybe next year.

Have fun with your build.

Jewellann

Txjaybird said:
:)  Hello and a belated Welcome

I've watched some Astro builds on You Tube and they seem quiet popular.  I have a  1998 Safari conversion with the "TV" hightop.  My Mom bought it new and it had a little over 100k miles when I got it last winter.  It has a 4 speed auto, rear wheel drive, and the 4.3.  The  only problem I see looming on the horizon is that after installing a Class lll hitch and helper springs we had to raise it 2in just to get around town.  Lon, that does all my work on it says it can go up another 2in.  We are waiting until it's wired for towing and then hooking up my Aliner and see how it looks/rides from there.

Did you need to remove a lot of interior for your build?  I'm just taking out the seats.  I want the van to be useable for camping or traveling without the Aliner.  I yearn for a 1 ton any brand van.  Maybe next year.

Have fun with your build.

Jewellann
I would love a hightop! At 6', I am just able to move around, and the storage under the bed (35" x 76" space, minus motors and linkage) will be only 9" tall. This gives me 1" headroom while sitting sideways on the bed.

My plan was to leave the side panels, like you, and just go with laminate flooring, but there is a lot of space wasted that way. I'm now contemplating building cabinets up to the windows (short LS). When the roof is done, I'm pulling the carpet and setting some things through the floor (there's a lot of wasted space there, too.

I have to go up, too. I'm looking into 16" steel rims (seems Jeep rims fit, can anyone say for sure?) and tall tires. The van rides nicely, and I don't want to mess that up (or the salvage parts option) just for a few more miles of off road range. A score on a 4WD parts van would change that... but, in the meantime...

Mine has the 4.3, too, and I hear nothing but good things about them. Seems like plenty of power for my purposes.

Thanks, Jewelann... I promise, fun will be had!