Hanging It Up....Maybe...Kinda' Sorta'

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29503

Reaction score
To be clear, my van journey never actually began to be able to actually "hang it up". Life happened. Over the course of a couple years, some events and developments took place to ultimately alter perspective and looks to be steering my life in a different direction. Van life was actually ruled out a while ago, but it seems as though any free spirited wandering could be placed on an indefinite hold as well. The best course of action could very well to sell my van.
However, the ceiling isn't finished (1/2 done) and the solar is not installed (panels are mounted and all components still have their original packaging). With other, more adult, commitments I will not have time to finish it.
As long as the van is in good mechanical order, would any of you see the lack of completion a turn off for a potential buyer who aspires to be a van life? Considering I've invested money beyond it's asking price, could I dare raise the value of the van in its unfinished state?

Thanks,
Rabbit

There will always be those with the skills to complete the rig, or have the money/friends to complete it for them. Some may see it as a possible graduation gift for a kid who can work remotely and wants to
travel and look for a good place to get started in his/her career as my folks did for me. There would be plenty of time between now and May 2024 to have it all checked out, built, and ready to go.

But that's just one market.

The value of an unfinished project is typically the blue book value. As to accumulated materials such as components for solar they have their own value. They should be priced separately and offered for sake to a potential owner. They may or may not want them as your power needs could be different than theirs.

I have no way to know what the quality of your work is like. If it is done to professional cabinet making standards with good materials and the electrical and plumbing are also done to that standard it would reflect in the price. If it is DIY work of amateur quality it will not add much if anything to the price as the buyer might just want to tear it all out and start over to get what fits their needs.

So basically no predicting. Just put a price on it and list it. If you get a lot interest in it then you know you priced it right. Hard to know what the market for RV type vehicles is like in your area at this time of year but cargo vans are typically sought after most of the year.

Vans that have had factory components removed are worth less. Accessories that are purchased new are now used even if still in their boxes and how they have been stored makes a difference. Shipping items that are sold is expensive and time consuming. Most unfinished projects sell for much less than a stock van as there are more people looking for a stock van than a camper they have to finish building. You might do better money wise restoring the van to stock factory condition and selling the accessories individually since they are still in their original boxes. These are only the opinions of a very unskilled salesman that has sold lots of unfinished projects! Lol!!! Good luck!

I think it depends on what it looks like. When I bought my van, I would have loved it if the floors, walls, and ceiling were done so that I could do the fun part. But I'd want to know that the materials used were quality and the build was done right. I paid to have xtra seats removed and a floor put in my van but ended up removing and redoing the floor because they didn't do it correctly, so I think it really depends on the build quality. Though, to contradict myself, I'd bet there are some people who wouldn't be so exacting, who don't want to spend time/energy doing those labor intensive parts.

I see partially-converted vehicles for sale quite frequently. It's not uncommon to see halfway converted vans of all types and shapes for sale seemingly at similar price points as their unfinished brethren. Whether you could increase the price or not depends on what you have installed so far or are selling with the van. You can always sell uninstalled components separately to maximize what you can get back.

Whether it's vans or houses or anything else, they are only worth what a knowledgeable buyer is willing to pay. I have been on both sides of that equation many times. It doesn't matter to such a buyer what we may have invested in something, nor should it. I think if we should just accept that sometimes we make money and sometimes we lose money and when the time comes be willing to just move on with our better lives.