ISO Cheap Land – No Restrictions - RVs Permitted

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm. interesting. Some years ago when I was living in Front Range Colorado, I remember reading how a lot of old New Mexican drug runners and commune people from the 60s and 70s settled in the Tres Pedras area because you could buy land for cash with no questions asked. LOL. There was that big commune just north of Taos near the Rio Grande river that was featured in Easy Rider. Something or Other Ranch. Might be an interesting place.

ridgeway said:
Tres Piedras is on the South end of the San Louis Valley/Costilla County CO. On the Colorado side winters are brutal and long, summers are hot.

The west side of New Mexico also has cheap land I would imagine the winter is a little lest brutal but still winter.
Weather patterns are interesting. I lived in the CO Front Range for 20 years, at 5,000', and we would get brutal winters with many feet of snow. 

OTOH, once you move further west to NorCal and Oregon, on the eastern side of the mountains at 5,000' and so, there is much less snow and much milder climates.

Qxxx said:
Hmmm. interesting. Some years ago when I was living in Front Range Colorado, I remember reading how a lot of old New Mexican drug runners and commune people from the 60s and 70s settled in the Tres Pedras area because you could buy land for cash with no questions asked. LOL. There was that big commune just north of Taos near the Rio Grande river that was featured in Easy Rider. Something or Other Ranch. Might be an interesting place.
The Eartship village is at
2 Earthship Way, El Prado, NM 87529
if you care to take a look from above on Google Earth

Qxxx said:
Hmmm. interesting. Some years ago when I was living in Front Range Colorado, I remember reading how a lot of old New Mexican drug runners and commune people from the 60s and 70s settled in the Tres Pedras area because you could buy land for cash with no questions asked. LOL.

Reminds me of someone I knew in the 90s, when cannabis was a “cash crop” and very risky to grow. They bought a bunch of land in the San Louis Valley where the water table was low, made some structures, got a generator and started growing cannabis. They would find hippies who were down on their luck take them out there for a couple of months to help with the grow. After a couple of months they would return with bags of weed and cash.

After a couple of years he left the the San Louis Valley with enough to buy property in a nicer place. He still kept growing and maintained a small hippy commune around his place.

Qxxx said:
Weather patterns are interesting. I lived in the CO Front Range for 20 years, at 5,000', and we would get brutal winters with many feet of snow. 

OTOH, once you move further west to NorCal and Oregon, on the eastern side of the mountains at 5,000' and so, there is much less snow and much milder climates.

I have lived on the Front Range for some years, I have also lived in Montana and up in the mountains 8000-9000ft I consider the Front Range not that bad. For me freezing temps makes winter bad. I hate when the snow doesn't melt. At least on the Front Range it will get above freezing most days, sometimes 50F if we are lucky.

The Arctic Troughs in December are the worst.. could be freezing for weeks. Blah

I am over winter, I dream of southern escapes every time this year.

If you're gonna settle down in a nice warm S&B, then Colorado is ok. I don't think I'd want to buy land and then live on it in an RV, unless it was big and had a "very" good furnace. Front Range may be warmer now. But I remember shoveling many feet of snow every winter and melt-freeze was a big problem, sunny days and cold nights. And of course, I still had knees and could ski then. Colorado Powder, yea.

Also, I remember the winter of '89 or '91 when I was still teaching. At xmas time, we had about 10 days running when there was snow on the roads, never melted and the temp never got above 0F. I ended up faxing grades from Boulder down to Denver. It's probably warmer now.

However, the CRVL philosophy more or less hedges against living in cold climates. Be a snowbird, lol.

Sofisintown said:
The Eartship village is at
2 Earthship Way, El Prado, NM 87529
if you care to take a look from above on Google Earth
I looked on the map at Tres Piedras. Someone laid out a huge grid of roads in anticipation of a city in the high desert, never materialized, only a scattered house here and there. So no doubt land is cheap. Take a fur coat.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.6608699,-105.9142084,8835m/data=!3m1!1e3

I know someone that recently got 20acres for cheap along I-40 in AZ. They are camping and enjoying it despite winter type conditions.

When I looked up building codes for that county I found this-
"Can I camp on my vacant parcel?
Only if your parcel is more than 2 acres and not for more than 10 consecutive days and no more than 3 times a year with at least 30 days between instances. You must also have a self-contained wastewater system or an approved onsite wastewater system."

I am not sure if they know this ? They are the type not to read the fine print. Looking around it seems like people a good amount of people are camping/homesteading on land with restrictions, personally I would not buy into something that I was going to have to be flying under the radar or having the potential of getting kicked off "my"? land.

Also looking around Arizona their is lots of cheap land way out there.. 2+ hours from Walmart that has crazy restrictions. I guess that's why it is cheap.

As a general statement if you take the time to read the restrictions most towns and counties have on “camping” on owned land, they seem very uptight about what you are allowed to do. There are places in states like Missouri which don’t have building codes thus the counties are less involved in what happens.

Colorado isn’t particularly friendly to just pulling up onto your plot of land and sitting there for 3+ months. Back in the mid 1980’s I bought tax sale land south of Pueblo in an unincorporated portion of Pueblo County. Even though there was hardly a building in sight and the roads were dirt/gravel, the county requirements/limitations in place restricted me to 3 weeks total every 6 months unless I was building. Now someone has to tell the county that you in fact are over staying but the ordinances are usually there in print. So even though you sorta own the land, you don’t...

Can’t get much cheaper than tax sale lots, if I remember they were $200-300 total apiece, bought like 8. Ended up giving them away 2 years later due to the county requiring septic permits on each property within a year. So you see, sometimes you just can’t even do nothing with “your” land!

TWIH said:
Colorado isn’t particularly friendly to just pulling up onto your plot of land and sitting there for 3+ months.  Back in the mid 1980’s I bought tax sale land south of Pueblo in an unincorporated portion of Pueblo County.  Even though there was hardly a building in sight and the roads were dirt/gravel, the county requirements/limitations in place restricted me to 3 weeks total every 6 months unless I was building.  Now someone has to tell the county that you in fact are over staying but the ordinances are usually there in print.  So even though you sorta own the land, you don’t...

Most all of Colorado is very unfriendly to homesteading. I have been hearing stories about Costilla county not far from Pueblo where lots of people bought cheap land to live on. Seems like now they have a a big collection of new codes and team of code enforces backed by the sheriffs dept evicting people from their land. In Costilla county now you can camp longer on BLM land then your own land. Crazy that a county can “let” you camp on “your” own land.

Colorado: Off-Gridders Forced back on the Grid, Camping on own land Illegal
http://www.naturalbuildingblog.com/11478-2/

Off the Grid....and Gunning for Justice
https://www.westword.com/news/sover...t-and-gunning-for-justice-in-colorado-9085265

TWIH said:
Can’t get much cheaper than tax sale lots, if I remember they were $200-300 total apiece, bought like 8.  Ended up giving them away 2 years later due to the county requiring septic permits on each property within a year. So you see, sometimes you just can’t even do nothing with “your” land!

Reminds me of those towns in BFE that have been giving away “free” land. You can have a couple of acre if you build a 2000sft home in 2 years and start paying taxes on it right away.

For some reason no one is biting. lol

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]i have a small homestead in oklahoma for someone needing a home base. half a block off route 66. anyone looking for a cheap land opportunity please email me. or text me,[/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] im real. just dont need it because [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]i live [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]in galveston now, and i love it here! if anyone is interested, i ill post a link to a vid on youtube that someone took right in front of my house in texola oklahoma. text me with an intro saying TEXOLA for immediate reply.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]its in town, no restrictions, out building, container, cellar, cistern. quarter of a block. half mile off intestate 40.[/font]