ISO Cheap Land – No Restrictions - RVs Permitted

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridgeway

Reaction score
I have spent sometime researching and looking for the life dream of “Cheap Land”. I know others have also so I wanted to start a thread and pool some info we have found along the way.

I wasn't sure where to post this thread so mods feel free to move it if there is a better place.

Colorado If you search for “cheap land Colorado” you will most likely come up with something in Costilla County, CO. you can get an acre for $500.-$1000.

Sometime decades ago someone subdivided massive sections of land in the high desert thinking of selling lots. No one bought them. So now they sit, hundreds of square miles of them. A couple of decades ago there were not many building restrictions some people with not much would buy 1-5 acres and try to make a life out there. Most left after a winter or two, it is a high desert very cold and windy in the winter and hot and dusty in the summer. If you drive around you will see abandoned homesteads all over.
The past decade Costilla County has put in place lots of building restrictions so you basically need to spend 80k to start to build. They have also put restrictions on RVs and camping.

Now days when people buy a late night $500. Costilla County acre on ebay, they get very disappointed when they get kicked off after a week of camping.

Costilla County, cheap for a reason- and now basically useless due to restrictions.

you can not post just a link. you must post a detailed description with all links or they will be deleted. highdesertranger

Anyone know if Terlingua TX is still an option for this?

Two that I know of:
Tres Piedras, New Mexico (c-c-c-cold winters, though)
Along US-60 east of I-25, New Mexico

tx2sturgis said:
It's remote piece of land but cheap:

https://www.landwatch.com/hudspeth-county-texas-recreational-property-for-sale/pid/408707951

There are many such cheap lots in far west Texas....But it's very hot (over 100 degrees) in the summer and can get really cold, even snowy, in the winter.
How hot is hot? This year it was 120 degrees here for the high for about 6 months. I thought it was TOO HOT for daytime activities here in southern AZ, and then there is the power bill for air conditioning. 
In your opinion, is Tx better?  -crofter

It was a little hotter here than the data you are giving for Yuma (more than 10 degrees). 107 degrees does not really bother me much, but once it is over 115 degrees I am shading up for the day.  -crofter

Those are long term averages, so you can always expect variations above and below. Plus the past several years have probably been hotter than the averages. And a 93 average sounds a heck of a lot better than a 107 average.

In fact, the climate data in Sierra Blanca TX is similar to what I have long been saying is what can be found all over the western US, and represents a nice compromise between summer and winter.

I have been looking at stuff in Texas, Texas is massive..

I have been looking at places in East Texas. I have been interested in land near the Sabine river beds, it seems like the water table is very low, lots of trees generally flat easy access. Some of the land is in designated flood areas so you cannot insure houses(not proper building sites) which makes it less expensive. I have seen some 5-20 acre lots for around 20k once in a while.

I would love to know more about E Texas if anyone has any experience there ?

MrNoodly said:
Two that I know of:
Tres Piedras, New Mexico (c-c-c-cold winters, though)
Along US-60 east of I-25, New Mexico

I have looked at these areas and have heard of people living in RVs there. Seems like NM has a state wide septic system building code, but it also seems like they are not very aggressive about enforcement in many of the counties.

I have access to land in CO so the winter time climate doesn't interest me personally, but Nth NM looks like it would have some good potential for some homesteading/camping folks.

Qxxx said:
Those are long term averages, so you can always expect variations above and below. Plus the past several years have probably been hotter than the averages. And a 93 average sounds a heck of a lot better than a 107 average.

In fact, the climate data in Sierra Blanca TX is similar to what I have long been saying is what can be found all over the western US, and represents a nice compromise between summer and winter.
I thought Pahrump NV was very pretty when I stayed there, blocked in by high mountains gives you great views and dry weather. From what I understand that desert is cooler than the Sonoran low desert, and the town does not have restrictions on dwellers. I saw in town lots with permanent set up camps with an RV site on it. Nearest urban area is Las Vegas. Anyone recomend Pahrump?  -crofter

DannyB1954 lives in Pahrump, but hasn't posted for a few months. I believe summers are quite hot there (probably not as bad as Yuma).

We stayed a season in the Escapees Park just outside of Livingston Texas. There are lots of swampy lowlands areas and severe weather. Not as many bugs as Arkansas but close. Nice people and really good food. Good fishing lakes all around. Large medical facilities in Houston about 90 miles away. Lots of expensive land around Lake Conroe as many snow birds live their when they stop traveling.

I just checked the elevation of Tres Piedras, 8000', no wonder winters are cold there. Even in Quartzsite at 900', winter temps are near freezing at night.

bullfrog said:
We stayed a season in the Escapees Park just outside of Livingston Texas. There are lots of swampy lowlands areas and severe weather. Not as many bugs as Arkansas but close. Nice people and really good food. Good fishing lakes all around. Large medical facilities in Houston about 90 miles away. Lots of expensive land around Lake Conroe as many snow birds live their when they stop traveling.

I have thought about checking out that area, there is a couple of National Forest by there.

Qxxx said:
I just checked the elevation of Tres Piedras, 8000', no wonder winters are cold there. Even in Quartzsite at 900', winter temps are near freezing at night.

Tres Piedras is on the South end of the San Louis Valley/Costilla County CO. On the Colorado side winters are brutal and long, summers are hot.

Tres Piedras became popular with the “Earth Ship” builders due to the easy building codes. I have thought about renting one for a couple of nights to experience an earth ship. Most of the homesteads/camps there look pretty rough, pallet fences, dogs, junk cars.

The west side of New Mexico also has cheap land I would imagine the winter is a little lest brutal but still winter.