Is there a best direction to point your van when camped?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamk

Reaction score
Is there a best direction to point your van when camped?

I've come up with two criteria, in this order, [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]that works for me this time of [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]year:[/font]

1. Park in the direction of escape.
2. Having satisfied #1, point the nose of the van East or West (not sure which is best).

#1 is for my safety. I want to just drive away if need be and not have to maneauver.

#2 is so that the sun doesn't hit my van broadside and bake it throughout the day. This lets me open the windows on the sides of the van to suck in the coolest air.

I like seeing both the sunrise and sunset through my front window, so I think the East/West thing is a wash?

In Bob's cooling vid, he suggests pointing the nose north, for less solar heat into the cab. In winter I do the opposite. I also make use of late afternoon shade to cool the rig before evening.  -crofter

Description: you tube video on cooling

it depends of the time of year and the climate you are in. your #1 and 2 doesn't apply to me. I don't think I have ever parked in a place that the first thing I thought of was a fast escape. in fact I don't that has ever come to mind. also I usually watch the sunrise and sunset from outside. highdesertranger

Only if I'm in a parking lot do I deliberately park facing out for exit strategy.

Otherwise, I'm looking at level, vista, wind direction and neighbors for clues as to where to park. Sometimes I luck out and get all four in one place.. :D

I try to park with my front to the north-northeast. When a storm comes in the wind is usually from a northwesterly direction and hits the drivers side. Do I get a little rocking, res. It wakes me up so I can take care of anything I need to. If I need additional solar charging, I hang my panels from the awning. This orientation keeps the windshield from getting baked too. If I need solar heat gain, I remove the insulation from my back window. I sit under the awning in the morning to enjoy the sunrise and drink my coffee.

Of course the direction could be predetermined for optimal orientation if you plan on having solar panels that can tilt for generating the maximum amount of electric. That will be my personal criteria in many situations.

I think being level is the most important for me but once that is sorted then I consider, exit, sun,shade, view, solar, neighbours, I have windows on all sides and all have blinds so I can eliminate things like bad views, neighbours, or sun.

All of the above, plus nose into the wind to minimize rocking. Or if it's hot orient it so whatever breeze there is can blow through open windows and/or doors.

For nomads with a propane fridge, the general advice (in the summer especially) is to park your vehicle so that the side of yr rig where the fridge is located is in the shade during the hottest part of the day. This strategy minimizes the amount of propane needed to keep food cold.

I don't know whether this advice is also suitable for electric-powered fridges, as I have never owned one.

Point her into the wind mateys, afore we're swamped. Aaarrrgh!

Each site has its own quirks and prevailing weather.

VanForNow said:
For nomads with a propane fridge, the general advice (in the summer especially) is to park your vehicle so that the side of yr rig where the fridge is located is in the shade during the hottest part of the day. This strategy minimizes the amount of propane needed to keep food cold.

I don't know whether this advice is also suitable for electric-powered fridges, as I have never owned one.
somewhat suitable for all types of fridges.....if you don't have insulation in the wall to reduce the heat transfer.

iamk said:
1. Park in the direction of escape.
2. Having satisfied #1, point the nose of the van East or West (not sure which is best).....
I usually take into account how I plan to leave when parking, and rarely park where I will need to back up on my way out of there. So agreed, point number one is important.

My second priority is usually airflow and view. I like to have the doors open and look at the view. 

Also I like to park where there is either nice neighbors or no neighbors. If I don't like the neighbors, its time to start the engine and have a better experience someplace else.
-crofter

VanForNow said:

I have an electric fridge stationed where the passenger seat used to be. I built an insulated box to put the fridge in and covered the outside with foil to reflect sunlight. My fridge stays cooler with less energy.

I have an uninsulated cargo van with windows in the back, and my bed is across the back. Other things being equal, I like to park with the front facing west and the rear facing east. The rising sun takes the chill off pretty quickly, and I love watching the scenery as I'm waking up - I love to take a loooong time to wake up.

I cover the windshield to keep the van from heating up, and the sliding doors face the north. With the windows, sliding door, and/or rear door open, I get great ventilation, and I also have a USB fan if I need it.

Works for me! You'll figure out your own preferences pretty quickly.

The campsite usually dictates the direction of my camper.  When there are options these are the things I consider (I'll probably forget a few):
 - Escape.  Safety is always a consideration; I prefer not to have to back up to get out.
 - Sun.  I prefer to get morning sun on my solar panels; afternoon shade if hot out.
 - Wind.  I want the door to NOT be sheltered from the wind in buggy places.
 - Level.  Some orientations are easier to level the camper than others.
 - View.  Orient the camper to see a nice view from bed.
 - Amenities.  Orient in relation to fire ring, good spot for chair or table., dog tie-out, etc.

Since I camp simply, usually with nothing outside except for the step, I sometimes reorient the van a couple of times a day, particularly in winter so my tilted solar panel tracks with the sun. That's usually in wide open, flat desert, so changing direction is no big deal.

Latest posts