Is sex allowed at RTR/BLM/Walmart/RestStops/Truckstops? (inside your rig of course)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMTLMT

Reaction score
Are there any regulation/laws on that sort of things?  Or where does everyone park to have sex?  I'm sure there are lots of couples in Van dwelling in general or people hooking up on the road and etc, I didn't find any threads on this topic.

Ask your RTR neighbors if they mind.  Or just tell them " If the house is a rockin', don't come a knockin' "

Wouldn't sex be a personal and private thing between a person and their partner/husband/wife? In my opinion and my opinion alone what you do in your rig is your own business. Just make sure to watch out for pervs trying to look in.

51Q3kvZ2QlL._SX300_.jpg

GeorgiePorgie said:
is it true that hookers hang out at truck stops?

Yes, they're called "Lot Lizards".

If you have Amazon Prime (streaming videos / movies), there's a pretty depressing documentary by the same name.  :s

Actual title: Lot Lizard.

Mizzi said:
Wouldn't sex be a personal and private thing between a person and their partner/husband/wife? In my opinion and my opinion alone what you do in your rig is your own business. Just make sure to watch out for pervs trying to look in.

The issue isn't so much pervs looking in, as the law or the property owner, etc.  What people don't see, cannot possibly see, is not going to be a problem, well, unless "noise" bothers others in the surrounding area and maybe they feel someone is in a dangerous position.   We had a neighbor who "mooned" from the window of his house someone that knew him who was driving by and honked, well, the kids were coming down the hill from the middle school and saw the butt in the window, thus he had a very serious issue to deal with.

GeorgiePorgie said:
As long as we're on the topic, is it true that hookers hang out at truck stops?

The larger truck stop chains discourage lot lizards on the property. There is a growing awareness of human trafficking and the organization called TAT (truckers against trafficking) works to eliminate this.

Had this exact question answered by a park ranger. Hubby and I were camping in the summer at altitude in a tent. It was still bloody hot and clothing was scanty. A woman three sites over have two little preadolescent hellions who kept running right up to our tent and peeking in the windows. You could not see inside the tent unless you were right withi. 8-12 inches. I went over to the woman and told her that not only were we going to be naked, but that we might even have sex and she needed to control her children. She said that she would have us arrested, that there was no expectation of privacy on Federal land.

So, of course I went to the ranger. He said that, not only did we have the right to privacy, but if we were legally paying the site, the little bastards (my appellation, not his) were trespassing and the mother was legally bound to control them. He went over to the woman and set her straight.
Ted

tx2sturgis said:
The larger truck stop chains discourage lot lizards on the property. There is a growing awareness of human trafficking and the organization called TAT (truckers against trafficking) works to eliminate this.

The ones in the videos I saw are not being trafficked by anybody. Now I know why they call them Lizards. :s

Prostitution is a very degrading profession as it is. And to be honest I cannot for the life of me understand why women choose to do it. I'd much rather go get a job cleaning toilets or even starve. And the men who use them don't they ever think of the consequences or diseases that they may contract and or pass on to their wives and or girlfriends?

GeorgiePorgie said:
The ones in the videos I saw are not being trafficked by anybody. Now I know why they call them Lizards. :s

Actually, from having worked with survivors, I can tell you: very few people have a real idea about the true conditions under which a woman is a prostitute. 

In fact, the line between trafficking and being pimped is so much thinner than most may believe. Even the word "choice" deserves a much more nuanced analysis than we usually accord it.

If you are interested in this topic (and it seems you are, as you bring up a documentary you watched about it) here are two excellent (and heartbreaking) books, both written from an insider's view, by exited women themselves: 

Paid For- My Journey Through Prostitution       by Rachel Moran

Girls Like Us -- Fighting for a World in Which Girls Are Not for Sale    by Rachel Lloyd 

I am intrigued by your last sentence: "Now I know why they call them Lizards". Can you explain what you meant?

I choose to believe you didn't meant to be harsh, most especially not towards women who more than likely are already living very hard realities.

And...I am happy to hear that truckers organized to create TAT to help curb the epidemic of sex trafficking...very inspiring. 

~ Peace ~

I can just imagine getting to that pinnacle and someone blows the air horn.....

Many of these women are imported from other countries and forced into the sex business at truck stops, strip joints, online, walking the streets, whatever. Families back home are in jeopardy sometimes if the woman tries to escape or to not pay off her 'debts'...

Choice has little to do with it. 

Not talking about the legal brothels in Nevada, but rather, the seedy underworld of human trafficking.

I think less of those who use sex workers than the sex workers themselves. There is a certain honesty in the transaction, from the perspective of the sex workers, that you get to use my body in exchange for money.

Back to the topic - special cuddles between consenting adults is nobody's business if not flagrant and public so as to cause offense or to prompt uncomfortable questions from children to their parents.

WalkaboutTed said:
Had this exact question answered by a park ranger. Hubby and I were camping in the summer at altitude in a tent. It was still bloody hot and clothing was scanty. A woman three sites over have two little preadolescent hellions who kept running right up to our tent and peeking in the windows. You could not see inside the tent unless you were right withi. 8-12 inches.  I went over to the woman and told her that not only were we going to be naked, but that we might even have sex and she needed to control her children.  She said that she would have us arrested, that there was no expectation of privacy on Federal land.  

So, of course I went to the ranger. He said that, not only did we have the right to privacy, but if we were legally paying  the site, the little bastards (my appellation, not his) were trespassing and the mother was legally bound to control them. He went over to the woman and set her straight.
Ted

This came up in our Constitutional Law class at the academy. A sealed tent has an expectation of privacy and actually required a warrant to search (actual case) under the Fourth Amendment

And that "not causing kids nearby to ask awkward questions" seems a bit of a stretch.

If you want to shield your kids from the facts of life, that's on you to ensure, not the rest of the world.