Introverts and the traveling lifestyle

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USExplorer

Reaction score
I just got back from a trip from the White Mountains to Portland Maine, feeling quite exhausted. Not from the miles of walking around Portland, but from the mental strain of trying to get to know someone in the city in a very short time span. It's so difficult to strike up a meaningful conversation with an electronic addict, I don't even try most of the time. I finally found someone at the Portland Head Light (a seaside attraction) that was not incessantly photographing themselves and started talking to them, but gave up because talking to myself might make others think I'm crazy.  :s

Any other single travelers with a touch of introversion? How do you spend your waking hours, if you abstain from electronic devices? Do you shun cities and crowds? I'm looking for something between living a hermit's life in a mountain wilderness and trying cheesy pickup lines on every Walmart baby mama.  :rolleyes:

Hey USExplprer
I'm about 30 miles north of you right now.
Good line about the Headlight pkg lot ....It is a bit on the touristy side.
You'll do better with those pick up lines in the Old Port !!

If I find myself seeking some interaction with strangers, I will usually just ask where I can find information about attractions, entertainment, or maybe good food in the area. It is a reasonable question that will frequently lead to a cordial conversation without appearing to be intrusive to others.

If I am parked in a new neighborhood in a town, I will frequently sit on the stoop of my side doors, reading a book or something. I love animals, and often people out walking their dogs, their dogs will come over to say hello. That's a great ice breaker, if their dogs like you, usually they will too.

I'm the type of introvert who doesn't like FORCED social interaction. And I can't deal with conversing with more than three other people at a time. I'll travel just fine by myself for a few weeks, then I need to meet up with others (that I already know) for a while. I don't try to connect with total strangers. We need to have something already in common. That's why I have a handful of vandweller/RVer friends (most of which I met at RTR) and some friends from my house-dwelling life I join up with when I'm in their area.

When I'm alone I read, write, do things on the web, fiddle with things in the van, take photos, check out interesting places, work on little projects, nap, explore... all the stuff I used to do before when I wasn't tied up with work.

Get a dog  :D  No one will think you are nuts talking with a pet.

I am very much a loner.  Enjoy being by myself for long periods of time.  Talking with Simon keeps my vocal cords in working order.  If I need anything more I call family.

-- Spiff

Having just spent a week in Tucson with a group of friends from all around the world and having enjoyed it thoroughly, I confess to not being a complete introvert.   But I do shun most social occasions, crowds and cities for the most part.  I read a great deal, hike, use the internet when I can and talk to my mother and daughters on the phone almost every day.  My dog is the most agreeable company I could ask for.

I'm that hybrid, Extroverted Introvert. I can talk the ears off of a field of corn and have a grand time with folks I feel some connection to, but put me in a situation where I don't feel 'welcome' or I'm not interested in the venue/company? I stay only as long as I absolutely must, then I'm outa there! Can't wait to get out on the roads!

Just find a good balance. Check out the MEETUP app to find people doing interesting activities and participate if interested.

Dog is a good idea...walking you meet lots of people. I never pass up an opportunity for a good conversation. Not interested in another persons religion or politics, but interested in their 'life' stories. I am not an introvert or a hermit, so it is easy to initiate conversation. I learn lots from others. Good camping spots, local events, cheap stores, farmers markets, best book stores. Socializing with people that live like I do has great advantage too. Morning walk with dog around where I am camping and a wave at someone making early morning coffee makes me feel part of the great adventure. Anyone is welcome into my camp for good conversation and a good smoke...bring your own chair...NO BIGOTS!