Teton bound

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had that one too , as well as The Complete Backpacker , maybe my memory is mixing them up , Fletcher was a backpacker's guru back in the 60s . I'd probably be a little less impressed after all my life experience to date too , but for a kid in High School.......

Nice photos today !

I drive on through Escalante, working my way up a creek into a high forest, then down into a valley. I park for the night on public land two miles from the hamlet of Henriesville. The valley floor is sagebrush, but junipers and pinyons grow on the gravel deposits below the low mesa cliffs. At the center of the valley is a wide, dry wash. I collect a massive armful of dead sagebrush, and drag a dead juniper stump down into camp. The entire FM dial is blank, so I switch to AM, and get a Navajo Nation station on 660 kHz broadcasting a mix of country&western and traditional Navajo music. The sagebrush and juniper branches burn out before the stump fully catches, and it starts producing an astonishing quantity of fragrant smoke. A thermal micro-inversion keeps the smoke in the valley, and the rising full moon lights it with an eerie glow. I am 20 miles from Bryce Canyon National Park.

2417: Night picture: The moon backlights the rock formations on the edge of the valley.

In the morning I drive into the national park, parking at the shuttle station. A hippie couple who grew up in North Carolina talk with me about their aquaponic grow setup at his home in northern Washington as I cook breakfast (pasta, of course). The hippie couple leave on the shuttle, but I ultimately choose to drive into the park. The ranger at the entrance station hands a park map and guide to each visitor. At the visitor's center, I notice an very worn-out Toyota pickup with a hornless cow-skull on the front grille cruising the lot. He waves and I wave back. Yesterday when I hiked Capitol Gorge I parked right in front of the same pickup. We later pass each other in the park, going opposite directions. 

Enough chit-chat, lets get down to the natural features. The first part of the Bryce Canyon rim is in a ponderosa pine forest at nearly 8000 feet of elevation. I park at Sunset Point and walk out; the view that greets me at Sunset Point is staggering.

2419: Bryce Canyon gets over 200 freeze-thaw cycle days a year, as well as a significant amount of rain. This results in a drastically accelerated erosion process that puts the slow, smooth sculpting of Arches or Grand Canyon to shame. This is a rough, ragged, jagged landscape, full of cracks and crumbled rock. Constant ice wedges split rock nightly, and the clatter of rockfall is sure to be heard if one stays in the park for any length of time.

2420: These spires are known as hoodooes. Ice forms wherever it can, between horizontal layers of rock and in any vertical cracks, shearing off chunks. Most of these formations are well over a hundred feet tall. 

2421: Sometimes the hoodooes are topped by thin fragile spires...

2422: ...and other times by massive boulders. The lifespan of these formations is very short in geological time, but they are created by the same process that destroys them. Note the flat valley in the background. Bryce Canyon is more an escarpment than a canyon. 

The bright orange of the rock is not camera overexposure, it is just the nature of the place.

Attachments

• DSCF2417.JPG
    DSCF2417.JPG
    936.6 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF2419.JPG
    DSCF2419.JPG
    942.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2420.JPG
    DSCF2420.JPG
    912.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF2421.JPG
    DSCF2421.JPG
    947.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF2422.JPG
    DSCF2422.JPG
    920.8 KB · Views: 4
2423: The rock formations dwarf hikers on the popular Navajo Trail.
2424: Rough windows in a trailside hoodoo.
2427: The rim is edged by an extremely crumbly brown rock, very dangerous to walk out on. Here, a window has crumbled out of the rock. Just a short distance below the colorful badlands are calm pine forests. 
2428: Farther on down the 18 mile scenic drive, the hoodooes thin out, and the rim offers a view of a lightly populated vale below.
2430: I hiked part-way down the rim on this trail, passing a boisterous gaggle of Indian teens on the way. This bridge appears to be manmade. The view through it is looking back to the densest concentration of rock formations.

Attachments

• DSCF2423.JPG
    DSCF2423.JPG
    895.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2424.JPG
    DSCF2424.JPG
    946.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2427.JPG
    DSCF2427.JPG
    925 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2428.JPG
    DSCF2428.JPG
    911.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2430.JPG
    DSCF2430.JPG
    915.9 KB · Views: 3
2431: This cluster of hoodooes has a roof. Why it retained such a protective structure I have no idea.
2432: Looking up toward the rim at a dangerously undercut cliff. I heard a few pebbles scrabbling down the slope in the short time I spent there.
2433: The Natural Bridge arch, a very high and accurately curved formation. 85 feet wide and nearly 300 feet high. 
2435: A few scraggly pinyons manage to scrape a living from the top of a hoodoo, elevated hundreds of feet above the canyon floor on a slender rock spire. 
2436: One of the rim trails winds through a dense fir forest at 9000 feet, alive with the songs of birds under the warm sunlight.

Attachments

• DSCF2431.JPG
    DSCF2431.JPG
    926 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2432.JPG
    DSCF2432.JPG
    915.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2433.JPG
    DSCF2433.JPG
    899 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2435.JPG
    DSCF2435.JPG
    905.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2436.JPG
    DSCF2436.JPG
    959.8 KB · Views: 3
2437: On the edge of the rim, life is very difficult. Ferocious winds year round, endless winter ice storms, constant root erosion. This fir will likely soon join the ranks of whitened dead trees that cover this part of the rim. 

A scraggly bristlecone pine, dead after fighting the elements for 1600 years, stands on the very edge of the rim. There is hope, though, as a young bristlecone grows straight and strong beside it, where nothing else will grow.

2438: The Bryce escarpment forms a ferocious wind tunnel, scouring the rim edges clean of life.

2439: Well below the rim, firs grow thick and green. Well below the firs, ponderosa pines grow thinner but just as green.

2440: Looking back north along Bryce "Canyon". The road runs to the extreme left of the picture.

2441: A large portion of the forest along the road has been burned by the Park Service in an attempt to form a more natural habitat. 

I've been making these updates from the Bryce Canyon Lodge, which offers free WiFi. I plan to stay for the evening and the sunset; it is 65 degrees now, but will be dropping into the low 20s tonight. I recently learned that National Park "Week" is actually 9 days long, so I will have the next two days to explore Zion NP. 

Two weeks of travel remaining.

Attachments

• DSCF2437.JPG
    DSCF2437.JPG
    932.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF2438.JPG
    DSCF2438.JPG
    906.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF2439.JPG
    DSCF2439.JPG
    936.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF2440.JPG
    DSCF2440.JPG
    914.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF2441.JPG
    DSCF2441.JPG
    928.2 KB · Views: 4
2444: A close-up of the limestone that makes Bryce Canyon so distinctive. Innumerable cracks and crevices are the defining features of this rock.
2445: The China Wall, a line of hoodooes of equal height, standing alone on a small ridge. 
2446: At Sunset Point, the sunset is hidden behind clouds, so the rocks remain a mellow orange. 

By the time I leave Bryce Canyon, the sun has already set, and darkness fall as I head south on Route 89 toward Zion. Based on my temperature gauge, I am losing elevation. Just short of the turn-off for Route 9 and the national park, I turn down Muddy Creek Road, a gravel road passing beside small farms in a narrow valley.

2448: I park for the night in this gravel pit. All night, the quiet whirring of sprinklers irrigating the nearby pasture form a background noise in this quiet valley. In the morning, the owner of the farmland drives by on his ATV and waves. 

Down Highway 9 through the park entrance station. Unknowingly, I pass by Checkerboard Mesa and various other attractions on the eastern side. The eastern side of the park is dominated by slickrock slopes from which stunted trees sprout in small pockets of soil.

2452: At the tunnel, a long line of cars waits for an oversize vehicle to traverse it. These two bighorn ewes watch us curiously from a short distance away. Finally, a tour bus clears the tunnel, and now it is our turn to take up the entire tunnel. The tunnel is over a mile long and unlit. The tour bus at the lead of our line drives down the center of the tunnel. Several viewpoints built into the walls of the tunnel reveal a canyon dropping off hundreds of feet below. Formerly, visitors could pull off at the viewpoints, but now they are blocked off by barriers.

Attachments

• DSCF2444.JPG
    DSCF2444.JPG
    891.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2445.JPG
    DSCF2445.JPG
    931.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2446.JPG
    DSCF2446.JPG
    890.4 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2448.JPG
    DSCF2448.JPG
    959.3 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2452.JPG
    DSCF2452.JPG
    917 KB · Views: 3
2455: About half-way down the series of steep switchbacks that drops the tunnel road down into the canyon bottom, I stop to take this picture of one of the viewpoints, perched high on this otherwise inaccessible cliff.
2458: Looking up the steep canyon that was bypassed by the tunnel. Far above the Navajo sandstone formations is a white cliff. The picture is deliberately darkened to make the cliff visible. A trickle of water spills over a boulder in the lower part of the photo.
2459: Looking down the Pine Creek Canyon toward the cliffs of Zion Canyon. Vegetation here is a mix of maples and cottonwoods near the watercourse, and drier sagebrush and grassy meadows away from the water.

I found a parking spot at the rapidly filling visitor's center lot, and set out to explore Zion Canyon. Unfortunately, as I learned later, I missed some of the most spectacular slot canyons in the world, but I managed to see several other great sights.

2460: The silt-laden Virgin River at the bottom of the canyon. All the riparian vegetation is vibrantly green here with the vitality of spring. The park gets 16 inches of rain a year, so it is technically a semi-desert.
2461: The West Temple, towering over 4000 feet above the visitor's center.

Attachments

• DSCF2455.JPG
    DSCF2455.JPG
    890.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2458.JPG
    DSCF2458.JPG
    872.3 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2459.JPG
    DSCF2459.JPG
    904.7 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2460.JPG
    DSCF2460.JPG
    943.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2461.JPG
    DSCF2461.JPG
    908.5 KB · Views: 3
Zion Canyon is a narrow ribbon of green surrounded by sheer red walls. The canyon road is closed to private vehicles most of the year, so I took the shuttle bus up-canyon, catching views of the canyon walls through the roof windows. The dots of dozens of hikers were visible on the rim of the canyon, and rock climbers dotted portions of the walls. It being a Saturday with great weather, the park was quite crowded with visitors. 

At the end of the road, the shuttle bus disgorged its load toward the Riverside Trail. A sign said the Narrows were closed due to high water. The Narrows is essentially a river slot canyon, 30 feet wide and over a thousand feet deep. Hikers must walk in the river to enter the Narrows.

2464: A view along the Riverside Trail, which was a paved, level walkway. The high walls cast great shadows over portions of the canyon.
2465: A spring issuing out at the base of a tree formed this verdant wetland on the trail's edge.
2466: The defining characteristic of Zion Canyon is flowing water. Water flows everywhere. 80 degrees above horizontal, water-loving plants cling precariously to this weeping cliff wall. 
2467: The entrance to the Narrows. Not one of the tourists dared enter the cold, murky water, so the end of the trail was crowded nearly cheek-to-jowl with noisy visitors.
2474: In a spring-fed pool along the Riverside Trail, these small fish engaged in their typical fishy business.

Attachments

• DSCF2464.JPG
    DSCF2464.JPG
    890.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2465.JPG
    DSCF2465.JPG
    931.5 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2466.JPG
    DSCF2466.JPG
    930.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2467.JPG
    DSCF2467.JPG
    894.1 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2474.JPG
    DSCF2474.JPG
    899.5 KB · Views: 3
2475: A solid arch formed in the sandstone by small seeps.
2476: The Altar of Sacrifice looms brightly above the dark riverside cliffs. Craning one's neck to look up at sights like these soon kinks the neck, so most visitors rarely study the rocks far above them.
2478: This is the view most people associate with Zion, and probably the view that influenced the Mormon pioneers to name it Zion, a "place of refuge". 
2479: At the Weeping Rock viewpoint, a large dripping overhang creates the sensation of rain on a sunny day.
2482: This is one of the largest high seeps in the park, creating small waterfalls cascading off the cliffs and watering these lush green hanging gardens in this greater-than-vertical crevice. 

The weather is perfect, which is bad, because the park becomes ever more crowded as the day goes on.

Attachments

• DSCF2475.JPG
    DSCF2475.JPG
    895.2 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2476.JPG
    DSCF2476.JPG
    934 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2478.JPG
    DSCF2478.JPG
    943.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2479.JPG
    DSCF2479.JPG
    900 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2482.JPG
    DSCF2482.JPG
    909.4 KB · Views: 2
2485: The Emerald Pools are created by a seep that falls onto three terraces, creating a pool on each and a waterfall between them.
2486: Due to the massive numbers of screaming kids fouling the pools, they looked rather dirty and dull. This middle pool is the cleanest one, and it still looks closer to ditchwater than emerald.
2487: Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (outside the picture) Peaks at the Court of the Patriarchs. The lower red formation on the right is known as Mount Moroni.
2488: This is what makes Zion Canyon rather confining. The Virgin River cut Zion Canyon faster than its tributaries could cut their side canyons, leaving the side canyons hanging a thousand or so feet above the river level. After a rainstorm, these side canyons form some of the highest waterfalls in the world, but they are very temporary. Normally, as in this picture, a black wet streak running down the cliff is the only water flow visible.

The Zion Canyon shuttle buses become ridiculously crowded toward the afternoon, and four completely full buses go by before I am able to squeeze into one and go back to the visitor's center. 

2490: A vista from the Watchman Trail, which leads to a low bluff overlooking the Virgin River and a beautiful vista of parking lots. Even in this dry-looking canyon, a trickle of water in the bottom nourishes a tiny strip of wetlands. 

The visitor's center parking lot is just across the river from the resort town of Springdale. Springdale (or Zion Canyon Village) has a low-key feel to it, much like New England resort towns. All of the stores and restaurants are housed in rustic brown buildings, with rustic brown signs for advertising. A brew-pub has a line out the door, and live music playing. Cars are parked everywhere in town, and a shuttle brings town visitors to the park pedestrian entrance station. 

After leaving the park, I descend along the Virgin River into the city of La Verkin for refueling and resupplying. La Verkin is only at 3100 feet of elevation, very low for Utah, and it is warm down here. There is some suburban sprawl, but it has not overwhelmed the town yet, which is very spacious and quiet. A woman with a baby locked herself out of her new Lincoln in the grocery store parking lot. The Lincoln has a pass-code entry, but of course she does not know the pass-code. Another man pulls his minivan up and opens the door for the woman to put her baby down while they wait for AAA. 

Down in the empty Confluence Park just outside the small city, I reach down into a deep crevice and retrieve the last of the fruitcakes purchased at a steep post-Christmas discount in an East Texas Walmart. It is still as good as fruitcakes come. Down here in the creek valley, grass grows naturally in a thick carpet, but up on the low slopes the grass grows in sparser bunches.

North on Route 17 and I-15 up into a high desert valley walled by a rocky escarpment on one side and a mountain range on the other. I take Exit 36 into a juniper forest, past several planned developments consisting of newly paved roads lined by not a single house. Down in a vale to the right is the Ash Creek Reservoir, which looks quite low. 

The old highway passes over Ash Creek on an ancient concrete arch bridge, and a sandy track leads down to a creek-side thicket. I turn down the track and park next to the creek, building a fire in the middle of the sand. A dead standing cottonwood nearby provides plentiful fuel. Syndicated NPR programming on the radio mixes with the babble of the creek. 

One more free parks day.

Attachments

• DSCF2485.JPG
    DSCF2485.JPG
    915.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF2486.JPG
    DSCF2486.JPG
    923.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF2487.JPG
    DSCF2487.JPG
    976.6 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF2488.JPG
    DSCF2488.JPG
    903.7 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF2490.JPG
    DSCF2490.JPG
    943.6 KB · Views: 4
2491: As I walk out to the river in the cool morning, this hummingbird flits around, drinking river water, and lands on this branch less than ten feet from me, keeping its wings moving to keep warm. Just after I take the picture, the bird moves off downriver.

2492: Ash Creek and the Old Highway 91 bridge. My campsite is out of sight on the left. Unfortunately, the creek bed is marred by off-road tracks.

The next morning, I attempt to make a Y-turn and get back up on the highway. The trail is slightly sunken, about six inches below the surrounding level ground on each side. I back up with no problem perpendicular to the road, then cut the steering right and make to go forward. The back wheels are on the rise, while the front wheels are in the road. 

As I go forward, the front left wheel rises up the slight incline just as the rear left wheel moves down its incline. Ford Explorers absolutely cannot handle varying cross-grades of even a few inches, and the front right wheel begins digging in. Once the rear left wheel left the ground, the rear right wheel dug in almost up to the axle. Not thinking clearly, I attempt to jack up the rear right wheel to fill it in, but there is no room to crank the jack up. I apply floor mats to the tires, but the rear right wheel just digs in deeper uncontrollably and the left wheel rises even higher in the air. As I am clearing the sand from around the rear axle, a ratty pickup truck turns onto the track and stops at the top of the hill. I call out that I am stuck, and the truck pulls down. Two hunters bedecked in full camouflage get out and take a look. One of them offers to go back to his house and get a chain, and they drive off. 

I take a break and contemplate the problem, then decide that the front left wheel, up on its slope, is the cause of all the trouble. Fortunately, the sand is soft, and my folding shovel is adequate for the task. The wheel drops down a few inches, and to my satisfaction the rear left wheel also drops down to the ground. I dig out all the wheels, then start it up and drive forward. It cruises right out without any spinning. Just four inches of sand is the difference between stuck and completely functional. I should get a Jeep.

I leave a few shotshells for the hunters along with a explanatory note and drive on to the Kolob Canyon portion of Zion National Park. Over the visitors center rises the escarpment of the Colorado Plateau, an escarpment that the Kolob Canyons are carved into.

2493: Looking down into the Ash Creek Valley from the scenic drive up to the canyons.
2494: The Kolob Canyons are a series of finger canyons reaching up to the plateau.
2496: There are several eco-regions within each canyon, from sagebrush scrub to juniper/pinyon scrub to cottonwood bottomland to ponderosa forest. Here, it appears the ponderosas mainly occupy the cooler and moister northern canyon wall.

Attachments

• DSCF2491.JPG
    DSCF2491.JPG
    915 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2492.JPG
    DSCF2492.JPG
    910.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF2493.JPG
    DSCF2493.JPG
    944.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2494.JPG
    DSCF2494.JPG
    949.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2496.JPG
    DSCF2496.JPG
    914.7 KB · Views: 2
2497: The trail to the canyon overlook uses these terrace-like platforms to provide firm footing in this occasionally muddy portion. Quite a labor-intensive solution.
2498: Not all of the Kolob Canyons are hikable; this one dead ends in a narrow slot. Many of them have unofficial trails plowing through the dense brush near the canyon mouths. 
2500: I chose to hike the Middle Fork Taylor Creek canyon, which had a maintained trail. The trail was very easy, and quite crowded as well. This is a typical view from the trail, forested bottomland covering boulders washed down from the cliffs overshadowing the canyon.
2502: A steady trickle of water ran down the canyon, occasionally trickling over a small waterfall, and the trail repeatedly crossed it. 

Hikers on this trail were overly polite. After greeting or returning the greetings of several dozen passing hikers, it became quite a chore.

2503: The trail did not lead into a slot canyon, but into this "double arch alcove". A giant overhang of sandstone created an alcove over 100 feet high and 100 feet deep. Water continually trickled down the back wall and dripped from the ceiling.

Attachments

• DSCF2497.JPG
    DSCF2497.JPG
    913.9 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF2498.JPG
    DSCF2498.JPG
    932.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2500.JPG
    DSCF2500.JPG
    921.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2502.JPG
    DSCF2502.JPG
    930.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2503.JPG
    DSCF2503.JPG
    917.8 KB · Views: 2
2504: Looking 70 degrees above vertical, past the alcove ceiling to the high cliffs towering over the canyon.
2505: The back wall of the alcove, at the top of a massive pile of crumbled sandstone,  never received sunlight. It was almost cavelike back here, and the walls were covered with shade-loving algae and mosses.
2506: Looking up from the floor of the alcove at the small sliver of sky above.
2507: With my back against the opposing wall of the canyon, I took this overview photo of the alcove.

Coming back, I walked past two log cabins dating from CCC days in the canyon bottomlands. I also walked past hordes of very slow hikers, and a few trail runners ran past me. At the visitor's center, I returned the map of Zion and remarked to the ranger that I had saved $190 in park entrance fees in the past nine days. The park blitz is now over.

North on I-15, the traffic was very heavy for a Sunday afternoon as one trucker passed another at a 1 mph lead. I turned off as soon as I could and took Old Highway 91 north to Cedar City. The sun and warm weather that I enjoyed in the Kolob Canyons had disappeared, and a cool breeze now blew under overcast skies. I have now entered Mormon country, an LDS meetinghouse every few blocks. The downtown is shut down for Sunday. I cook a flavorless pasta dinner at the park and eat it, then get my laundry washed at a laundromat. 

For the first night in a long time, I slept in a Walmart parking lot. After so many days of camping far from civilization, the lights bothered me. However, I planned to use the library the next morning, so I did not leave town. It rained some last night, then cleared up this morning, then clouded over again and flurried a little. Foul snowy weather is forecast tonight, low 33 degrees. Looks like spring has not come at 5800 feet yet, contrary to my previous assertion.

2508: This I-15 underpass in Cedar City directs drivers to the left side of the road. I can't figure out why.

Attachments

• DSCF2504.JPG
    DSCF2504.JPG
    894.9 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2505.JPG
    DSCF2505.JPG
    896.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2506.JPG
    DSCF2506.JPG
    947 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2507.JPG
    DSCF2507.JPG
    912.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2508.JPG
    DSCF2508.JPG
    960.8 KB · Views: 4
I spend all Monday in the Cedar City Library as snow and rain fell outside. By 4 pm, it had slackened enough for me to go out and cook dinner, but as I drove out of town north along Route 130 it started raining again. As the highway climbed above 6000 feet the ground became covered in snow. 

2510: Pouring rain and snow, temperature in the mid 30s, crossing the barren sagebrush plain of the Escalante Desert. Needless to say I was not particularly joyful.

Up toward Minersville and Milford, the desert was replaced by irrigated alfalfa pastures. Milford is a struggling railroad town, with fewer people today than in 1930. It has the last gas stations for 75 miles. I continue on north along 257, moving out of the rain parallel to the railroad. The valley here is full of solar arrays and wind farms, but not a single ranch or home. North of Black Rock Junction I turn down a nondescript track and park near the railroad for the night.

2511: The rain has turned this dry lakebed along 257 into a nasty mudflat.

257 leads north into a desert oasis along the flat, fertile Sevier River valley. Delta, the largest settlement, does not fit my perception of Utah, bearing more resemblance to California's Central Valley. Irrigated farmland in square sections is replaced by a small town grid. Main Street is an extremely wide but quiet boulevard, lined with a few local businesses. Unpretentious houses line the grid of side streets, adorned with green lawns and plenty of shade trees. Everything is wet and green under an overcast sky. There are no wide open views.

The town hall/library is located on a large park/plaza in the center of town. A block away on Main Street is the Topaz Museum, which features artwork from Japanese-Americans interned in the nearby Topaz Relocation Center during World War II. In the park, a memorial to the camp unequivocally condemns the actions taken by the US Government. The museum is empty, and its curator shows me the art. Some feature realist natural landscapes or overviews of the camps, residents being impersonal dots if present at all. Interestingly, the artist focused on the beauty of this harsh landscape, the eerie light of the full moon or the glorious colors of a sunset. Other featured artists painted more impressionist perspectives of the human landscape. Out back was a half-restored building, donated by a family who had purchased it after the US Government sold them for scrap in '47. In the damp cold it seemed a particularly dismal place to call home.

We talked a while after I finished looking around about the politics of fear. As Americans we like to believe that we have progressed since then, but the relocation program was a product of fear, fear capitalized on by politicians. Fear, this fundamental human emotion, is how such individuals retain their power. I remember as a kid, after the 9/11 attacks, stockpiling supplies in the basement in case other Muslim extremists in this country decided to engage in widespread attacks and paralyze America. Today we have a certain well-known presidential candidate playing on such fears again. Just like herd animals, we are easily spooked and guided. 

The library opened at 2 pm, and I hunkered down inside until the clouds began breaking up around 6 pm. I drove out east along Route 6 past the settlement of Lynndyl and the Little Sahara Dunes. I camped for the night on a low juniper-studded knoll with a clear view of the surrounding plain and the distant mountains to the east. Numerous hollowed out juniper trunks showed signs of being struck by lightning, and dead wood was everywhere, damp on the outside but dry inside. I dragged a massive pile into a gravelly clearing, then started a roaring blaze with a mat of crumpled tumbleweeds and piled on the wood. The sun fell below the clouds and shone gloriously for a minute or two before dropping below the horizon. Through a trick of the upper atmosphere, the Navajo Nation AM country station came in loud and clear.

The next morning, my truck was covered in condensation, very rare in a desert environment. The sun rose, half-blocked by a layer of alto-stratus, and helped dispel the damp. I drove out onto Route 6 up into the run-down mining town of Eureka, smaller than Tonopah a few hundred miles west along the highway but just as dismal amid the dingy hills. 

2515: Eureka's bustling main street.

Past Eureka, the highway descended a steep and curving route through the dingy hills down into a green and well-watered valley backed by the massive, beautiful, snow-covered Wasatch Range. Cumulus clouds, remnants of the last storm, still shrouded much of the higher aspen-covered reaches. 85% of Utah's population lives within 15 miles of this mountain range. 

2516: Looking east on Route 6 near Goshen.

Route 6 ended at I-15 in the town of Santaquin, at the base of the Wasatch Range. A short walk along Main Street netted me an unopened granola bar, which I ate, a leather glove in good condition, and an empty bottle of Gatorade, for liquid fuel storage. Santaquin looks like the ideal place to raise a family; quiet, clean, peaceful, and affordable, with great mountain views to boot. As that is not my current goal, I drive north through the tight-knit town of Payson into Spanish Fork. Only 340 miles to go, and 12 days to get there.

Attachments

• DSCF2510.JPG
    DSCF2510.JPG
    968.4 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF2511.JPG
    DSCF2511.JPG
    945.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF2514.JPG
    DSCF2514.JPG
    978.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF2515.JPG
    DSCF2515.JPG
    965.8 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF2516.JPG
    DSCF2516.JPG
    949.1 KB · Views: 8
2518: Only in Walmart can you get a fresh coleslaw salad and a blueberry pie for 50 cents.

I drove west out of Spanish Fork to the south shore of Utah Lake. The back road leading to Lincoln Beach passed through a grid of lush green pastureland, grazing goats and cows and sheep. In front of one of the farmhouses, a girl tries to coax two stubborn goats away from the roadside grass. She waves as I drive past. The western horizon is dominated by a range of unpopulated dull green hills rising out of the plain. After some convolutions, I found my way into Lincoln Beach Park and the shore of Utah Lake. There is no entrance fee. The camping fee is twenty dollars, and the campground is empty. Gunshots echo from the hills above the park.

2519: Looking toward Provo Bay and Spanish Fork, back the way I came.

2521: The shallow lake is rimmed by foul mud that sticks to everything. Other than these and a few other fishermen, the park is empty. Utah Lake is only slightly saline, and it smells faintly of decaying algae. The water is white and cloudy, a perfect match to the skies above. The lake is very shallow, with a maximum depth of 16 feet.

2522: The clouds part just long enough for me to capture this shot of the heavily snowed-in mountains backing Provo to the northeast.

While I am reading an information poster in the park, a guy pulls up in a truck and asks if I need any help. John is the pro tem camphost, the hosting couple having gone on vacation. I tell him I'm just traveling through and checking out the lake, and he begins telling me of his travels. After coming back from Vietnam, he got a job tending a fishing camp near Horseshoe Beach, not far from Steinhatchee, which I visited back in December. He then obtained a derelict boat for next to nothing, fixed it up, and got his fishing license. In one of the most productive fisheries in the world, he quickly began amassing a significant amount of money. "Once I pulled in this nurse shark. After I brought it into town, I started auctioning off pieces to this assembly of Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese buyers. The dorsal fin on that shark brought me over two thousand dollars. By the time I was done, I earned over six grand from that shark." 

"You must have paid off your investment quickly."

"I didn't have any debts, I bought the boat with cash. I simply piled on the money. And that wasn't even the big catch, another 20 foot shark I caught brought me over twelve grand. I then got a shrimping permit and moved over by the Alabama state line, near Perdido Bay, and began shrimping. That brought a good, steady source of income. By the time I left, I had enough to live without working for a long time." 

"So why did you leave?"

"Drug runners. The whole of Florida was infested with them, back then. They used fishing boats to blend in. I heard reports of fishermen getting shot up by the smugglers, so I left the market. I dropped some money on a Honda cruiser, the largest motorcycle they had, and a small trailer to tow behind it; I drove that thing coast to coast, all over the country. I'll never be without wheels again."

He then began to talk about immigration. He had a wife and kid living over in Vietnam that he was trying to bring to the US. "The immigration services are corrupt. It took me six years just to get everything in line, all the paperwork and bribes."

"Maybe the Vietnamese didn't like you, because you fought over there."

"This wasn't Vietnam, this was the American government. A hundred here, a thousand there, bribes to officials to get the paperwork through. And this wasn't just me, I knew many others going through the same process. I was so angry at their constant extortion, if I didn't have my wife and kids to think about there would be a whole lot of dead people in those offices." He paused. "And then we have these migrants who just hop the fences and skip all that process. It shouldn't be so difficult to get here, but we also shouldn't tolerate lawbreakers, either. Besides, if they hate this country so much, why don't they stay in Mexico?"

"They're dying of thirst in the desert just to get here, they wouldn't do that if they hate us," I replied. "Its the American appetite for drugs that has made Mexico such a violent place."

He thought a while. "Well, I don't know what I'd do, if I was in Mexico. I would probably try to sneak into the United States. But more likely, I would try to fight back. Overthrow the corrupt government and the cartels with it. All the American druggies, they can just die off or find something else to smoke."

"Some people in Mexico did try to do that. The government swooped in and now they are just another cartel. There's billions at stake, none of us can fight that."

"It's just a big mess down there. I'm glad I live up here." He walks into the RV to check on a pot of chili. When he steps out, there is the sound of something scurrying under the RV. He half-runs around the RV, reaching into his jacket. "I'm about to shoot this bugger. Probably a raccoon, trying to find a way inside." Whatever it is, it stays concealed underneath the camper, and he walks back over. I tell him I'll be moving on, and he wishes me a good day.

Just outside the park is the entrance road leading up the hill. A sign tells shooters to pick up their targets and casings. I begin working my way up the well-graded gravel road. Pull-offs and ATV trails everywhere lead to small terraces where shooters ding metal or chase wooden blocks around. Most of them wave when I drive by.

The road makes its long and circuitous route 2000 feet up to a radio complex surrounded by a small grove of juniper trees. The mountaintop offers a panoramic view of the lake and the mountain ranges behind it. Rainstorms approach from every direction.

2524: Looking back toward Spanish Fork again across the valley.

Attachments

• DSCF2518.JPG
    DSCF2518.JPG
    958.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2519.JPG
    DSCF2519.JPG
    970.3 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF2521.JPG
    DSCF2521.JPG
    914.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF2522.JPG
    DSCF2522.JPG
    974.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF2524.JPG
    DSCF2524.JPG
    951.2 KB · Views: 4
2527: Looking toward the western shore of the lake, where a powerful rainstorm is slowly advancing.
2528: Looking north-west along the expanse of Utah Lake.
2529: The white dome of an observatory contrasts strongly with the clouds behind it.
2530: Looking north-east, the Benjamin Slough and its protected wetlands in the foreground, Lincoln Beach out of the picture to the left, Provo Bay in the middle distance, Provo itself in the background on the left.
2533: The rainstorm slowly catches up with me as I drive back down the mountain.

Attachments

• DSCF2527.JPG
    DSCF2527.JPG
    939.1 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF2528.JPG
    DSCF2528.JPG
    969.5 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF2529.JPG
    DSCF2529.JPG
    947.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2530.JPG
    DSCF2530.JPG
    968 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF2533.JPG
    DSCF2533.JPG
    958.4 KB · Views: 5
2536: Tendrils of drizzle advancing in front of the storm are visible on the lake surface looking west. 
2537: Looking down the steep canyon to a lakeside tree farm, the strange lines of foreign trees dark against the overexposed lake. A sign at one point said "No Shooting, Workers Below".

I drove down into Provo, home of Brigham Young University and one of the most conservative cities in the country. I stumble upon the very modern recreation center. As the rain begins falling in earnest, the skateboarding kids outside take shelter in the building, and I follow. There is a public lounge, and I sit down to read "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle". The book is clearly written by a dog-lover for dog-lovers. It even has chapters telling the story from the family dog's perspective. The story is set in modern times on a remote puppy farm in northern Wisconsin, and concerns the main character, who is born a mute, and his family, who are all obsessed with a special dog breed that they have created. 

I don't hate dogs, but they do not interest me any more than, say, katydids, in that their noise sometimes keeps me awake at night. I casually flip forward through the book, seeing paragraphs devoted to activities of dogs, behavior of specific dogs, conversations with dogs, dilemmas involving dogs. For now, I have no plans to continue reading. Before this book, I had read another book called "When the Dogs Ate Candles: A Time in El Salvador." It was a non-fiction work, containing the memories of the author's experience with a human rights commission during the El Salvador civil war in the '80s, and had nothing to do with dogs. Despite the darkness of the title and the opening quote, it is a very positive book commemorating those who felt it was their duty to humanity to document the abuses committed by the Salvadoran government using US aid money.

In my CD player, I had just finished an audiobook of "Dubliners" by James Joyce, containing several short stories about life in Dublin in the early 1900s. List price, $39.95; library price, 25 cents. It was a strange experience, driving through the wild desert Southwest listening to snapshots of the lives of prim and proper Europeans. My truck's CD player took several of the CDs hostage, refusing to release them for periods of time ranging from a few hours to a week. (Pressing the eject button would only display EJ ERR.)

I drove out around 9 pm through the rain along the commercial strip of Route 89, passing north through Orem and Pleasant Grove into American Fork. South along a back road out of town, under I-15. There was plenty of space to park under the bridge but it was too well lit and empty; I would stand out. I continued on south to the boat ramp, parking in a giant gravel lot just outside the entrance gate. The willow trees overhead dripped fat raindrops on my roof, but I didn't mind. No one disturbed me.

2538: The north shore of the lake was a two minute walk from my campsite.
2539: A small creek, flowing clear despite the recent rain, drained into the murky reed-rimmed lake right behind my campsite. Several old campfire circles marked the small gravel bank. 

In the morning, the rain has stopped, but the sky remains cloudy. I'm hunkered down for now in the Lehi library. This is one of the friendliest regions of the country. Even the gas station clerks smile and greet their customers.

Attachments

• DSCF2536.JPG
    DSCF2536.JPG
    970.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCF2537.JPG
    DSCF2537.JPG
    991.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF2538.JPG
    DSCF2538.JPG
    946.2 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCF2539.JPG
    DSCF2539.JPG
    900.2 KB · Views: 5
North of Lehi is a low range of hills that separates the Provo metro area from the Salt Lake City metro area. I drive I-15 through the hill into the southern part of the Salt Lake Valley, which is bounded by mountains on three sides. To the west is the Oquirrh Mountains, containing the largest manmade excavation in the world, the Bingham Canyon copper mine. The small town of Bingham Canyon, located 1500 feet above the Jordan River valley, provides housing to Rio Tinto mine workers. It is not a bad place to live, unlike many mining towns, although the western horizon of the town is dominated by a giant mountain of mine tailings. The town is at a dead end, mine traffic having been rerouted to a new entrance a few miles south. At the entrance station, I ask if I can enter the mine and take pictures. The security guard replies that they haven't allowed visitors into the mine ever since "the slide." I later found out that one of the largest human-caused landslides in history spilled 150 million tons of dirt into the mine three years ago. 

Taylorsville is a well-groomed suburb of West Valley City, occupying a small area of land on the west bank of the Jordan River bisected by I-215. The dull roar of the interstate provides a constant backdrop of sound, but the "town" is pleasant enough, with enough bike paths and green spaces to put any progressive city to shame. The Jordan River itself is a rather sluggish stream, flowing through wetlands full of lush green grass and trees. A small flock of white pelicans with horned beaks relax in the river, while numerous bicyclists and joggers pass by me. At one point, a bicycling family passes me, dad up front, a dozen kids stretched out for half a mile, and mom guarding the rear. Big families are the norm here. Just past the dank interstate underpass, groups of golfers tee and putt their way through a riverside course. 

North on State Street through heavy development into Salt Lake City proper. Salt Lake City (and most other flatland Utah cities) has a relatively simple grid system, much like a Cartesian graph. The basis of the system is the origin (Temple Square South Gate, in SLC), from which x (East/West) and y (North/South) axes emanate. Roads are numbered by the distance in blocks they are from the parallel axis. Thus, an east/west road five blocks south of South Temple Road (the x axis) would be called 500 South (x,-5). A north/south road two blocks east of Main Street (the parallel y axis) is called 200 East (y,2). On each of these roads, addresses are denoted by a second coordinate. 421 East 500 South, for example, would be an address on 500 South a little over 4 blocks east of Main Street (4.21, 5). 

Of course, the grid is broken up or divided by natural features like rivers, as well as manmade features like expressways and subdivisions. My first night in Salt Lake City, I parked on a quiet residential street, 1100 West, dead ended by the river. 900 South dead ended just across the same river. Pedestrian bridges connected the two. If I had wanted to go to the city center, I would simply have to walk 11 blocks east, then 9 north. 

The next morning, I found a parking spot next to a dealership on 200 East below 500 South, just outside the parking meter zone. The library was one block north. A large plaza, complete with a fountain, topped the parking deck below. Inside the ultra-modern five-story glass-walled building was a courtyard containing a library bookstore and a cafe. Groups of people crowded the few tables or sat around waiting for the imminent opening of the library. The library information clerk joked that this city would be better called Small Lake City, as the city center is so compact. 

Like most big city libraries, armed security patrolled the place, although their only duty seemed to be waking up the homeless napping at the tables. I researched a little about the city, then set out walking into the heart of of the city. Free light-rail and bus service is offered in the downtown core area. The streets and sidewalks are uncrowded and relatively clean. I stop off at a downtown gun store, my first time in an urban gun shop. Young couples browsed through handguns, quietly conversing among themselves, while a group of guys conversed animatedly in the rifle section. Other customers looked through half a dozen shelves stacked with ammunition. The clerks were helpful but did not buttonhole everyone who came through the door. They also did not open carry. Their selection of shotgun slugs was meagre, and no Brenneke slugs were to be found.

I strolled down to Temple Square, which is owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and mostly open to the public. The gardens were in full bloom, thousands and thousands of tulips and pansies and flowers in every possible color. Visitors included a Chinese tour group, numerous Mormon families, a few non-Mormon locals, and some school groups. Two visitor centers featured various exhibits of LDS art, including an 11 foot marble statue of Jesus. Most of the buildings were staffed by very friendly missionary sisters from around the world. 

The buildings and grounds were immaculately maintained. Just outside Temple Square, the Church History Museum showcased the history of the Saints from Joseph Smith's childhood up until their expulsion from Illinois. Obviously, their retelling of the Mormon Wars in Missouri was slanted toward the LDS side, but they did feature snippets from their opposition. The exhibits were very professionally designed, and included many interactive presentations.  Almost every possession of Joseph Smith has been preserved, from his eyeglasses to his clothes (punctured with bullet holes) to the pepperbox revolver he unsuccessfully attempted to defend himself with when his jail cell was attacked by an angry mob. I decide to watch an hour-long LDS infomercial called "Meet the Mormons", and by the time I leave, the sky is blue and the sun is shining for the first time since Zion. 

North of Temple Square, the road rises steeply up toward the Utah State Capitol building. A tourist crowd was gathered on the steps, and various others relaxed on the massive lawn. A block away from the building, a steep walking path descended into City Creek Canyon, where the artificially channeled City Creek cascaded down from its mountain origins through a verdant canyon into a holding pond at Memorial Grove Park. A hiking trail ran beside it, and many local residents availed themselves of a quiet, natural escape from the city, not 15 minutes walking distance from Temple Square.

A block south of Temple Square is the City Creek, the business center of Salt Lake City. A few hippies played music on the sidewalks, although the crowd was light. Even though it is a Friday night, I am running quite low on travel funds, so I walk on back down to my truck. I drive out east along 600 South and end up at Trolley Square, a rather quiet and stale mall, at 8:30 pm. A group of bookworms chats in a musty bookstore. In the Desert Edge Pub, the bar is empty, although the restaurant tables are crowded. Several other Italian restaurants in the building are also winding down for the night.

I park for the night on 500 East just outside Liberty Park near the Tracy Aviary. The park is dimly lit, but fitness fanatics are out in full force. A high fence obscures my truck from the nearby houses. A few strange bird calls from the aviary. The sun rises through the grove of trees in the park, and the morning fitness fanatics are everywhere. In the park, a rather old homeless couple sits around a picnic table, smoking listlessly, not even bothering to walk out into the sun and warm up. The park restroom is a mess, dirty toilet paper everywhere, names scrawled on the walls with Sharpie. A faucet outside is stuck running, contributing to Utah's reputation as the most water-hungry state in the country.

I park in the same place I parked yesterday. A block away is the Center City Recreation Center, where showers cost two bucks. The same crowd of bums and hipsters are waiting for the library to open again. There is no prohibition on bringing large personal possessions into the library, so many of the bums carry enormous blanket rolls around. Repurposed parking meters around the city ask residents to give a hand up, not a handout, and place their spare change in the meters rather than give it to panhandlers. 

Time to check out the city again; maybe I'll bring my camera along this time.

Attachments

• DSCF2544.JPG
    DSCF2544.JPG
    962.9 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCF2545.JPG
    DSCF2545.JPG
    939.3 KB · Views: 4
Wow, I never really thought of Salt Lake as a destination. I've only drove through on 80 once and was trying to get home after a couple weeks on the road. Your description of it makes me want to go check it out, at least once anyway.

@masterplumber: I thought the same as you, but Salt Lake City has its appeal. Just don't go on a Sunday, everything's closed.

The massive 1.4 million square foot LDS Conference Center, the largest theatre-style auditorium, was constructed in 2000 just outside Temple Square. The building was quite empty when I entered, and I ended up touring the building with a young family from Hawaii. Quiet piano music played over the speaker system, played live by a pianist on the second floor. The massive hallways were decorated with numerous original works of art depicting scenes from the Book of Mormon. I asked the guide, a short man in his 60's wearing formal attire, why they don't allow visitors unaccompanied into the conference center. The guide replied that such was the original intent of the builders, but after the 9/11 attacks the church decided to close all but one of the doors and guide visitors to protect the valuable artwork. 

The main conference center was quite an astounding work of architecture, a massive round room seating over 20000 people, with not a single support pillar visible. Two curving balconies hung many feet over the back side of the room. The roof and balconies were supported by a radial truss anchored to a massive steel beam housed behind the platform. The roof of the conference covers over 4 acres, and was planted in gardens featuring a full array of trees and plants native to the region. A waterfall flowed down the granite front of the building. Several other chaperoned groups walked around on the roof, enjoying a great view of the city. 

After the tour, I wander around the city, hopping the free tram between malls, finding little of interest. By 8 pm, I am parked on the side of a road near an assortment of wrecked cars a couple miles north of the city. The cars are located in a run-down semi-industrial neighborhood squeezed against the railroad. A car cruises by several times as I prepare to cook dinner. Suddenly, an old minivan tears up a dirt track from the railroad, stopping right behind me. A man gets out, staying behind the driver door, then suddenly stops and relaxes.

"Is this private property?" I ask, pasta packages in my hand.
He waves his hand in dismissal. "It's all right. I own this land. Someone called and said it looked like someone was taking tools out of their truck."
"Nope, I'm just cooking dinner on a camp stove in my front seat."
We talk a short while. He notices my North Carolina license plate and mentions that he went to school in Hickory. 
"I could leave, if it is bothering y'all," I say.
"No, no, there's no problem. Say, if you want to camp out of the wind you can use the truck trailer over there, the back door is open."
"Well thanks a lot, but I'll just cook dinner and move on."

He says good luck and drives back home. I cook and eat dinner, while a Mercury car drives past several more times quite slowly. In plain sight, the window of a nearby house glows yellow. After dinner, I decide to allay the fears of the suspicious inhabitants and drive back into the city. After some cruising around, I park for the night on 300 N at 1200 W, next to the fairgrounds fence in a rather dumpy neighborhood, the kind where no one cares who parks on the street.

Sunday morning, the city feels like a sleepy small town; the streets are mostly empty, and the parking meters are shut down. I park at the base of the Utah Capitol complex and walk down to Temple Square, where the Mormon Tabernacle Choir will be performing their weekly "Music and the Spoken Word" Sunday morning broadcast. I choose a seat in the balcony as the speaker makes an informal pre-broadcast introduction. The broadcast lasts a half hour, during which one of the largest pipe organs in the world (11,623 pipes) is featured in an organ solo, and the 360 person choir performs various traditional hymns. As requested, everyone waits until the broadcast is complete before applauding. After the broadcast, several groups are honored, including a group of dignitaries from Eurasia on a State Department culture tour, a group of departing missionary sisters finishing their 18 month Temple Square tour of duty, and several prominent local figures. 

Sunday afternoon is quite different in Salt Lake City than in most other cities in the US, in that the Sabbath is largely observed. The malls are closed, as are many of the restaurants and shops. Tourists and locals stroll through the parks and the gardens throughout the city, enjoying a respite from the week's business. Traffic is still light. In the South Visitor's Center, a series of exhibits details the forty years of labor as the pioneers strove to build the Salt Lake City temple. Also featured is a scale model of the temple, and a digital tour of the rooms, featuring high-resolution photos of the ornate furnishings of a temple. Presumably, the photos were taken in another temple that had not yet been dedicated, as the SLC temple has been closed to photography since 1893.

The Beehive House, the home of territorial governor and church president Brigham Young, is also open to tours. Although Brigham Young had over 50 wives, most of them were not part of his immediate family. Those who were lived in the Beehive House. Most of the rooms are closed off due to the fragility of the original furniture, which is largely intact. An anteroom functioned as the church office in its fledgling years.

Having had enough of Mormonism, I walked out to City Creek and hiked a short way up the canyon. The hills were covered in short grasses and wildflowers, with scrub oak in the ravines, the height of the trees proportional to the amount of water in each gorge. Numerous leash-free but obedient dogs prowled the park and the trails, splashing around in the creek and chasing each other. The trails leading up into the mountains were heavily worn by mountain bikes, riders regularly speeding past on narrow trails and forcing hikers to move to the side. To give an example of how close the mountains are to Salt Lake City, the national forest boundary is less than two miles from the Capitol building. 

The "Avenues" development to the east of City Creek has its own grid system, consisting of lettered streets and numbered avenues. Many of the lettered streets climb rather steeply north, eventually replaced by the long curving switchbacks of an ultra-affluent hilltop subdivision. From the top of this development, the entire Salt Lake Valley is visible. The Great Salt Lake itself is a strip of blinding light to the northwest. As the sun heads below the horizon and streaks of cirrus clouds turn bright orange, the lights of the city below begin to come on. Several of  us watch the show from the edge of a baseball diamond terraced near the top of the development, strong winds preventing any conversation. The unlit park grounds create a contrast with the brightly lit industrial section lining the I-15 corridor, a line of glowing ants threading its way through the factories and warehouses. The heavily forested and dimly lit residential districts form a stark contrast to the west of the industrial section. Through these dim districts, cutting south in a straight line as far as the eye can see, is the line of ultra-bright orange sodium vapor streetlamps along Route 71. The dome of the Capitol building is lit, but most of the new downtown skyscrapers are dark against the bright halide security lamps of refineries and warehouses.

Parking for the night is next to the Salt Lake City cemetery, across from an LDS meetinghouse, no direct line of sight from any houses. The wind blows just enough to provide good ventilation, and early next morning I cook breakfast in the nearby park. I had hoped to visit the Utah Museum of Contemporary Art, but it is closed on Mondays. In a parking lot near the northern city limits, I change my oil, using a cheap pan and funnel I bought at a dollar store. The maintenance workers in the park pay me no mind. Only two and a half quarts of oil drain into the pan. It appears my oil filter has been leaking. The oil gauge on my dash appears to be non-functional, pointing to the same position regardless of the actual oil level.

I'm currently in Bountiful, on the shore of the Great Salt Lake. One week to go.

2547-49: A Salt Lake City sunset.

Attachments

• DSCF2547.JPG
    DSCF2547.JPG
    915.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF2549.JPG
    DSCF2549.JPG
    910.6 KB · Views: 6