Newbie saying Hello for first time

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlowerGirl

Reaction score
Hello! 
This flower lover in her 50's, lifetime resident of New York City, not yet an RV'er, (but close, I hope!) would love to experience waking up to natural beauty at this point in my life...
Not that big city living doesn't have all kinds of advantages to it, not to mention awesome food shops and restaurants, but sometime in my life, I would love to see more than skyscrapers and hear more than honking horns....and quite frankly, the social connection that I used to feel, living in a walkable city with lots of opportunities to be amongst many people one can always strike up a conversation with, has totally disappeared with the advent of smart phones/ tablets. Very little eye contact here anymore, everyone is totally absorbed in looking down at their screens. So that just leaves me feeling alone in a crowded city, no one socially engaging much anymore in person. Even when I go out to an outdoor cafe by myself in the hopes of some conversation with someone at another table, or a passerby, everyone's in their own private bubble with their media gadget nowadays.

Also, I feel like I've kind of "done" the entire scene here my whole life and as I've exited my youth, I notice that the trendy bars, loud cafes, overcrowded shows, etc. have me realizing how much I've changed. Now I like the quiet:  to sit and read, prepare delicious meals, watch movies at night, check on my flowerpots...Things one doesn't need to be in a huge city to do! I can do those things, I imagine, sitting outside in nature with a view! What a concept... 

I want to see the open sky, sunsets, hummingbirds, cloud formations, trees, cacti, etc. Wildlife that comes to visit nearby or that one spots while walking in an unspoiled area. I have seen starry skies in the mountains before and a few times in the desert during some travels out west and elsewhere- it was awe-inspiring, humbling...unforgettable. 

I have no children or pets but if/when I buy a van, I would get a big dog for company....Thanks to Skype, even working or "visiting" with friends is now do-able from anywhere....so RV'ing sounds like the perfect way to disconnect from all the craziness of daily city living.  

Just a thought/ question: I wonder if I am the only east coast city-dweller who feels intimidated by getting out to try RV'ing...Everyone says to just rent one first, get one's feet wet, but I tried that and I froze up....never even left the rental lot! Embarrassing  :s 
There's just a lot to take in for someone acclimated only to being on subways or taxis. 
Yes, I have a driver's license and know how to drive, but most of us don't own cars here in Manhattan, we all use mass transit. So the idea of driving a rig or van and even knowing how to deal with hoses, reading the gauges, parking and getting everything set up, learning how to use navigation equipment, etc. is pretty overwhelming...This seems like a perfect Coaching job opportunity for someone who has more experience, to act as a Coach to teach Newbies like me, hands-on....help us get our confidence up! I know there are RV "schools" but one-on-one would be much more attractive than having to fly to Texas or wherever to learn with a group of others. 

Anyone out there interested in this? I've searched on google but all I've found is drivers who will drive your tour bus or truck for you, not someone who is paid to be patient and walk you through all the various stages of "how it's done" in a very hands-on way. Tutorials on YouTube are awesome but actually spending a week with an old hand, doing it without white-knuckling every single aspect of RV'ing seems like it might be a saner way to learn. And maybe even a good opportunity for a RV Coach to impart their skills, experience and passion to a Newbie....

Welcome FlowerGirl to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Hi FlowerGirl!!

Welcome. From your wonderfully written intro, I can see that you are facing TWO major changes to live an RV lifestyle. Not only the shift to driving and using an RV but also living anywhere outside of a major city.

Here is my suggestion. Perhaps tackle the question of a peaceful, natural setting first? I know you may have traveled to the countryside any number of times in your life. But how about a trip to a place where you would like to be in an RV with the express purpose of being there with a simple agenda: to get out in nature and get a feel for how it affects you. With an eye toward imagining you'd be waking up in the natural setting every day --- or another natural setting (non-city) anywhere you chose. For this trip, you could look for simple accommodations like a lodge that is "out there" instead of a hotel room in a small city.

At the end of a week or two, could you get a handle on how much you would enjoy the natural setting versus the city you know so well? Of course, I would go for the countryside in a heartbeat but I am the first to admit I hate being in a city at all.

I think you will get offers or suggestions on finding a buddy to teach you the basics of RVing from others here on the forum. I believe some new members in the past have flown out to a city where a few long-time forum members happened to be camping, then rented an RV there and joined the group for at least a few days to be around experts and experience RV living (versus you being alone at an RV rental place near or in the city and feeling frozen).

Also I'm hoping you are viewing the YouTube videos by Bob Wells and others to see and hear the firsthand experiences of others: their rigs, where they camp, etc.

I think you are brave and adventuresome to be contemplating such big changes. I only suggest you find ways to try a little at a time. I think you're going to feel more confident about such a move with each step you take.

Welcome aboard Flower !

I am so set on never going into , through or even near a city that I happily go hundreds of miles out of my way to avoid them.

I think your anxiety of driving an RV for the first time out of the city is very understandable even for someone that lived there all their life.

How about taking a train or a airplane out to a rural area and start driving a rental or buying a rig there to begin your country adventure.

I think there would be a far better chance of finding someone willing to show you the ropes out here . I know I'd be more likely to take on something like that as far away from a city as I could get..... I'm at the last stop Amtrack goes north right now and I'm thinking that's getting too close !

If you really want to get away , just do it !
It's not a foreign country out there , you'll see.

Welcome to the CRLV Forums.   :) 

I would think that if you can survive and thrive in NY, NY you could do this easily.  (and I've been in NY, NY many times having family in the Boston area)

I have a couple of younger cousins there and their rites of passage after having graduated High School was driving down here to the southern tip of Ohio to visit their Grand Mother & Father alone in their own car/SUV.
They hadn't done any "cross country" before and they were more than thrilled by their trip.  They were wanting to  return home using an entirely different route as they were so turned on by the variety of things that they saw.   When we asked if they were nervous or anything they indicated it was more before they got in the car to leave home.  But once on the road the visual variety caused them to forget their fears and become absorbed in world outside the windshield.  LOL

If you can drive without much worries,  you may want to consider finding a good used Van with fairly low mileage (perhaps a delivery Cargo Van of 5 years of age that has been written off the books and is for sale very reasonably)  and finding a handy man where you live who could plywood the floor and lay some indoor/outdoor carpet on it for you.  Then rig a bed across the back end so you could find a mattress to fit for a simple bed.  Then find a 36 quart ice chest to stow some food and drink.   That could get you on the road in a minimalist way.  

I'll invite you to view my two websites below to learn more.   The first is for a simple conversion of a Cargo Van.  The second is a Portal of Information that will help you plan your trips or journey,  help you locate free campgrounds, the national Gym chains that you can join so you can easily find a lounge,WIFI, bathrooms & showers, and even sleep on their parking lot overnight in your rig.   There are over 100 links and lots of other handy resources in it.  You can use it before going on the road or while on it to make your life easier and more comfortable.

I'd bet that if you had a basic Van to jump in right now and take off in,  you'd be right at home and do just fine.   :p

Hello,
Since my 10th birthday I have always been a wanderer.  (That was the age my parents let me go beyond sight of the house).  A camper, hunter and trapper until my college days.  I was drafted into the Army during Vietnam but received an assignment that was my college major.  I then wandered in Europe and North Africa for nine months with a backpack then into professional life, marriage and kids.  I am now retired and a grandfather dreaming of wandering once more.  I accidentally came across this website during a Google search, have seen every video and continue to collect links to others sites. You are my people!  Someday soon you will meet me around a campfire or in the middle of nowhere boondocking and loving it.
"perfent"

Have you ever been tent camping? There is nothing like it for getting out into nature. Once you can do that, camping in an RV will be a breeze.

I worked at a Girl Scout camp as a teenager that had special programs for inner city kids from Detroit. Kids who came from really high crime areas during a time when violent crime was at its peak would get terrified of the woods and the sounds in the woods. At first. By the end of the week they were fine. Better than fine because now they had the confidence that comes with getting out of their comfort zone and realizing that the world out there isnt so bad after all.

There is a lot to see and a lot of people to meet out there. Good luck!

Wow...just a little bit nervous and little bit adventurous...

Probably describes most of us to one degree or another!

Please dont be paralyzed by fear...make it happen...one way or another. I am kinda in the same boat as far as the same ol same ol in the local social department...bars and clubs are ok in small time slots but its hard to make a connection and like you pointed out, everyone has their nose almost touching their smartphone these days. (says me as I sit here typing away on the computer!)

You would be more than welcome to come to Texas, but zipping out here on a plane might deprive you of the great scenery you could see along the way...trains or even a bus ride might be something to think about.

Right now there are thousands of nomads in RVs and vans all over the place, not just down south, as the weather is getting nicer in most places.

If you do rent an RV, get the smallest one that has the basics, like a class B or a very small class C, and head out for the boonies! 

There is a gal on youtube from somewhere in NY, NJ, not really sure, but her channel is SimplyRVing...Lydia I think is her name. She has a lot of fun but also has a few setbacks...hey we all do.

Another lady with a challenging situation is Debra Dickinson on youtube...and she is doing well, and enjoying life! You can too!

Hopefully we'll see you on the road!

HI, welcome to outer space, lol. I am new here also. Its a big step, exciting and scary. I am a bit older than you and have always hated the city. You may find if you get out there you will love the adventure and new vistas around each corner. I would take the advice of members who have been out there for years. Take it slow, maybe rent a smaller RV and take some vacations in it for a week or two. Find out how you like driving it, being alone in the outdoors or semi-alone. I have been watching youtube videos till my eyes hurt and reading everything I can find on the subject. Today was what to look for in a bad RV, leaks, mold, rot.....  Spent another day asking myself questions. I have bought houses that had problems. I think you just got to do your homework, cover most of the things that could, can, and will go wrong. Joy in the things that will go right. Have a savings account for those things, don't spend every penny on the RV. There are plenty of work sites out there who hire RVers for weeks to months.

I so understand you about how when you get older your world changes. The things you did even in your 40's your not interested in anymore. I enjoy my quiet and alone time so much, but sometimes socializing around a campfire or a starry sky would be great. That is all I really want and to know I can move on. To know each day I don't punch a clock. If your here, there is a reason. Best of luck and take all the advice you can find from those who are doing it.

slynne said:
Have you ever been tent camping? There is nothing like it for getting out into nature. Once you can do that, camping in an RV will be a breeze.

I've been tent camping since I was a kid.  When I was single and first came to Southern California I would boondock and did not know it.  I went to the desert many times, with my VW bug and a lot of Dinty Moore stew and pop tarts, and stay 7-10 days in the middle of no where.  I especially liked what is now the Mohave National Preserve.  Back then it didn't have a name it was just a beautiful place to go.  My wife and I also rented an RV in Alaska for a week and had a wonderful time.  So I know what I'm getting into and looking forward to it.

"perfent"

Welcome Flower girl!
trying to drive out of the big city in a full size RV? Madness!
I dunno what the rental of the RV was, but I'd get the hell out of the city first before I rented a thing
If I had the cash, I'd fly out to AZ and rent a 'jucy RV' and try to hook up with 'dwellers there
https://www.jucyusa.com/
add a privacy tent and a luggable loo, and get my feet wet
or you could rent a minivan and set it up yourself, but IDK if any fulltimers are near NYC, and for most people, it's better to be with experienced dwellrs at first

Hey FlowerGirl,
I just replied to your PM but then looked to see if there was an intro by you - and wow, I can relate! I've rented cars here and there but have never owned one. The last time I rented a car, it had been so long since I'd previously rented that I had to break out the car's manual to find out what all the symbols on the buttons, switches, and dashboard stood for. I sat for a long time studying it before I went anywhere.

Some things I plan on doing when I'm ready to go nomad are to take plenty of lessons in driving, defensive driving, and basic auto mechanics. I've been researching and found two companies I like that are out in Queens. The auto mechanics course is taught by a woman who specializes in teaching women. There is some national program or association that promotes teaching women basic auto mechanics and she belongs to it. So, I know I'll be delighted and excited to do that when the time comes.

At least we have some resources here in the city to help us plan getting out! LOL

Hi Flower Girl;

Congratulations on making the decision.  That is courageous and I respect you for that.  As time goes on you will find a lot more people who feel the same way and you will find yourself asking why you didn't do this sooner!

I think that your decision to spend time with someone for a week or two actually doing it with the showing you the ropes is that best way.  There is FAR less pressure that way.  My thinking is to continue to network on here and get to know people here.  I think you will find someone that you feel comfortable with who will be able to do this with you. 

Bob has made the statement many times about just how close of friendships you will develop here and with those who live this life.  While traveling a few years ago I came across a couple from Manhattan who had just bought a travel trailer and were traveling full time.  We ended up being camp hosts together in the Sierra's and we have remained close.  The husband used to have his business office right around the corner from the 911 zone, as a matter of fact.

I am excited for you.  Keep us all posted on how things are going and don't ever feel afraid to reach out for help or just to ask a question.

Best to you,
Dennis

Thanks so much, Dennis- I really appreciate your thoughtful response. I have no doubts I will make friends along the way, that part seems easy!

Fortunately, I've found one other Manhattanite and we're corresponding now....that helps with not feeling like the only action out there is far, far away in Arizona and Colorado :)

Are you in the Sierras now, or elsewhere?

I was just wondering if there was a connection for you in Manhattan so thanks for sharing the news.  That is great!

After sending you a response awhile ago I wish I had added another thought so now I guess that I get to do that.  :)  It's just a thought, but if it was possible, it would seem to me to be a better all around first time experience, if it is feasible for you, to fly to somewhere like Dallas, rent an RV (I would recommend a Class B Van for the first time) and head west, especially in September/October.   I have spent a great deal of time out west in everything from a van to a Class A and it is the best place to roam.   You have plenty of places to experience everything from boondocking to RV resorts.   Just an idea.

I am actually in the Dallas area right now visiting family and having some work done on my van.

Hi FlowerGirl, I realize your original post was a while ago but I thought I'd weigh in anyway. In January I came up the crazy idea of traveling the country full time now that I was retired. Since I didn't have much experience with RVs, therefore not much confidence in my ability to travel in one I thought I'd travel in a camperfied CRV. I had a ball on short trips, about a week, but soon realized it was much too small for me and my 2 dogs for full timing. I was stymied because I had been telling myself since I never pulled a trailer, I " didn't know how". (I thought about a van conversion but really like the idea of the "drop and go" ability of a trailer) I felt paralyzed. However, I nerved up and bought a truck and soft sided pop up. I know canvas pop ups are considered undesirable at this site but mine served it's purpose. I learned to hitch up and pull a trailer. I spent a lot of time in an empty parking lot teaching myself to back up a trailer. (Okay on that particular skill I could use a little more work). The first time I camped in it solo I felt truly empowered. The pop up was a real POS when I bought it so I learned a lot about repairs. (Now that it's for sale it's a nice little camper after all my hard work).

I'm not suggesting you go for a travel trailer at all. I just want to say that whatever you end up with, I'm sure after being on the road for a month or two you'll feel like an"old pro".  I went into it slowly and now I have so much more confidence for when I find a more substantial trailer and go full time after the first of the year.  Best wishes!

We're thinking alike, Van! Just today I read about a small outfit in Durango, CO that rents out Tiger Adventure Vehicles (which I would love to own, I think...) and they make suggestions for travel in the southwest ....I am thinking on this. The units are self-contained and at 19', don't seem too intimidating to drive. Plus the owners give you a 2-3 hour orientation on how everything operates and tips for traveling in one. 
So thanks for the suggestion....I appreciate it! And sorry to not have responded to your earlier post, I only just now saw a bunch of people were kind enough to write but I was new to learning how to use the Forum and didn't quite figure it all out.

I hope you're satisfied with the work being done to your van....you must be eager to get it back. Such a beautiful time of year for many of us....
All best, FlowerGril

That sounds great FlowerGirl.  I don't know much about the Tiger vehicles, but they look cool from what I have seen they fascinate me. 

I got my van back this past weekend and am thrilled at the work that got done. 

I am in Oklahoma right now visiting family.  I am hoping to head back west in October after the heat starts residing.  I have traveled a lot around Colorado over the years and mid September to early October is a great time.  The fall there with the golden Aspen leaves is breathtaking! 

Keep in touch - Dennis

Wow~ That's an oldie but goodie, huh? You can really see how far motor homes have come since 1989!

.....And.....aren't you the best for sending that link my way?~ 
Thanks ever so much.... I really appreciate it...

Flower Girl